Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: My Vintage Pilot Elite

  1. #1
    Senior Member azkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    2,016
    Thanks
    3,725
    Thanked 1,684 Times in 821 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default My Vintage Pilot Elite


    I bought this pen in NOS condition recently but my initial hour with it last night involved leaks from the converter and extreme hard-starting; the pen was totally unusable.

    Fortunately, after some sleep, I took to it with loupe and micro-mesh -- gently and minimally -- and aligned the tines and now it writes ok.

    The pen is compact yet long enough to write with unposted, which I prefer to posting the long and somewhat heavy aluminum cap.

    I look forward to putting this little pen through it's paces. Currently it is inked with a Pilot Black cartridge.

    Last edited by azkid; August 8th, 2018 at 08:41 AM.

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

    Ahriman4891 (August 8th, 2018), Chrissy (January 1st, 2022), Cyril (October 25th, 2021), Marsilius (August 7th, 2018), Scrawler (January 10th, 2022), Yazeh (September 22nd, 2021)

  3. #2
    Senior Member penwash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Dallas, as in the 80's TV Series
    Posts
    3,448
    Thanks
    2,829
    Thanked 5,457 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: My Vintage Pilot Elite

    I have cleaned up many vintage Pilot Elite like this. Almost all of them has a hard-start problem because old ink got stuck between that impossibly tight space between the nib and the feed because of the way Pilot design those.

    Immerse in water for a few days. Or quicker if you have ultrasonic cleaner. That should dissolve old inks and make ink flow much better.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

  4. #3
    Senior Member migo984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Global Nomad
    Posts
    2,594
    Thanks
    617
    Thanked 3,117 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: My Vintage Pilot Elite

    I love my vintage Pilot Elite. It has the most amazing 18k SF (soft fine) nib that writes beautifully, with a good amount of springiness. I’ve never had problems with it starting or leaking. And best of all I got it for a steal (£12), about 3 years ago. It is one of my “Forever” pens.

    I hope you resolve any issues with yours and you get as much pleasure out of using it as I get from mine.

  5. #4
    Senior Member azkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    2,016
    Thanks
    3,725
    Thanked 1,684 Times in 821 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: My Vintage Pilot Elite

    Thanks!

    I agree that the nib feels great-- very springy and offering a teensy bit of line variation. It is rather nice to write with.

    Ultrasonic cleaning the nib helped. But I don't think there was any old ink in it since it was NOS in the original packaging.

    I think it is a cool and unusual pen design. I guess that's what drew me in.

  6. #5
    Senior Member penwash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Dallas, as in the 80's TV Series
    Posts
    3,448
    Thanks
    2,829
    Thanked 5,457 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: My Vintage Pilot Elite

    I hope you don't mind if I post these trio that I had before:



    It shows that there are subtle different variations of their long production lives.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

    azkid (August 8th, 2018)

  8. #6
    Senior Member azkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    2,016
    Thanks
    3,725
    Thanked 1,684 Times in 821 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: My Vintage Pilot Elite

    Very cool set you have there!

    I used mine the last couple days and it's been working nicely and except for an occasional hard start has been a pleasure to use.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

    NibsForScript (August 9th, 2018)

  10. #7
    Junior Member andrew.weiss88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: My Vintage Pilot Elite

    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    I have cleaned up many vintage Pilot Elite like this. Almost all of them has a hard-start problem because old ink got stuck between that impossibly tight space between the nib and the feed because of the way Pilot design those.

    Immerse in water for a few days. Or quicker if you have ultrasonic cleaner. That should dissolve old inks and make ink flow much better.
    Thank you. I have one I gave up on when it started leaking like crazy. I'll give the soaking a try (no ultrasonic cleaner yet).

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  11. #8
    Senior Member azkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    2,016
    Thanks
    3,725
    Thanked 1,684 Times in 821 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: My Vintage Pilot Elite

    Mine hasn't leaked with the cartridge. I think the converter was just loose in my case.

  12. #9
    Senior Member penwash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Dallas, as in the 80's TV Series
    Posts
    3,448
    Thanks
    2,829
    Thanked 5,457 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: My Vintage Pilot Elite

    Quote Originally Posted by andrew.weiss88 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    I have cleaned up many vintage Pilot Elite like this. Almost all of them has a hard-start problem because old ink got stuck between that impossibly tight space between the nib and the feed because of the way Pilot design those.

    Immerse in water for a few days. Or quicker if you have ultrasonic cleaner. That should dissolve old inks and make ink flow much better.
    Thank you. I have one I gave up on when it started leaking like crazy. I'll give the soaking a try (no ultrasonic cleaner yet).

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Soaking the nib won't probably solve leaking. For leaking, I'd try a few different cartridges to see if the cartridge is the culprit. Otherwise you can disassemble the front part of the pen to inspect the inside to see if there's any hairline cracks. But it depends on the version of the Pilot Elite whether you can successfully disassemble it or not, some are not as easy as the others.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

  13. #10
    Senior Member wingwiper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    381
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 220 Times in 117 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: My Vintage Pilot Elite

    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew.weiss88 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    I have cleaned up many vintage Pilot Elite like this. Almost all of them has a hard-start problem because old ink got stuck between that impossibly tight space between the nib and the feed because of the way Pilot design those.

    Immerse in water for a few days. Or quicker if you have ultrasonic cleaner. That should dissolve old inks and make ink flow much better.
    Thank you. I have one I gave up on when it started leaking like crazy. I'll give the soaking a try (no ultrasonic cleaner yet).

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Soaking the nib won't probably solve leaking. For leaking, I'd try a few different cartridges to see if the cartridge is the culprit. Otherwise you can disassemble the front part of the pen to inspect the inside to see if there's any hairline cracks. But it depends on the version of the Pilot Elite whether you can successfully disassemble it or not, some are not as easy as the others.
    I use either the con20 I think it is in mine- AF.

    No leaks and it seats nice and tight


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

  14. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: My Vintage Pilot Elite

    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    I hope you don't mind if I post these trio that I had before:



    It shows that there are subtle different variations of their long production lives.
    Hi, Could you let me know which of these have Gold nib and which ones have Steel nib and whether there's an easy way to identify ? I've seen both Inlaid nib versions and Semi-hooded versions. I'm told that both Inlaid and Sem-hooded versions are available in both Gold and Steel nibs.

  15. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Mae Ai, Chiang Mai, Thailand
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: My Vintage Pilot Elite

    I believe the semi-hooded versions are Korean. I have read that Pilot in South Korea was separate company that licensed from Pilot in Japan.

    I have a few vintage Japanese versions and all the nibs are gold. Never seen one with a steel nib.

    Someone please correct me if I am wrong on any of the above!

  16. #13
    Senior Member Cyril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    608
    Thanks
    1,027
    Thanked 348 Times in 201 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: My Vintage Pilot Elite

    I have one of the Elite pens and it is having a Ef nib . Fantastic pen I love for my kind of writing. It is looks a Tiny little pen but when you post it seems like a normal pen!!!

  17. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    45
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 43 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: My Vintage Pilot Elite

    If you’re really interested in a steel nib, SpeerBob on eBay sells new old stock elites. My understanding is that they are Korean and steel nibs. At the price he charges that must be correct. I have one in an EF. Writes nicely. I like to use it for sketching.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ted A For This Useful Post:

    Lloyd (January 1st, 2022)

  19. #15
    Senior Member KBeezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    2,016
    Thanks
    159
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 639 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: My Vintage Pilot Elite

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted A View Post
    If you’re really interested in a steel nib, SpeerBob on eBay sells new old stock elites. My understanding is that they are Korean and steel nibs. At the price he charges that must be correct. I have one in an EF. Writes nicely. I like to use it for sketching.
    That would be the case, he's sold those for years, when I got mine it was about $20 from him. And like you said, steel nib, a bit springy, and Korean made (they didn't do the gold nibs outside of their Japanese factories).

    But at the time I was finding quite a few of the 14K and 18K ones for around $25-35 pretty easily, including one with an 18K Soft Fine.


  20. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

    Lloyd (January 3rd, 2022)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •