Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Vintage" & "Antique" & etc.

Thanks

Default Re: "Vintage" & "Antique" & etc.

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    The Classic Car Club of America has, for its purposes, promulgated their specific definition of "classic" to distinguish from run-of-the-mill antique. I no longer am in the antique car hobby, so I cannot recall how it was worded.
    Sure. Should have specified "Cars from the 60s of a desirable or collectible make or condition."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    The Classic Car Club of America has, for its purposes, promulgated their specific definition of "classic" to distinguish from run-of-the-mill antique. I no longer am in the antique car hobby, so I cannot recall how it was worded.
    I am glad someone else chimed in on this as the Classic Car Club and car "collectors" routinely use this as a basis for what is "collectible". In the end... it's a marketing ploy as people who want something enough are going to pay for it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mlp2147 For This Useful Post:

AzJon (August 9th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

The online Oxford English Dictionary defines "vintage" when used as an adjective as follows:

ADJECTIVE

1 Relating to or denoting wine of high quality.
    ‘vintage claret’

2 Denoting something from the past of high quality, especially something representing the best of its kind.
    ‘a vintage Sherlock Holmes adventure’

Sadly, this is not an accurate description of many items described as "vintage" on eBay.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

In the 50´s, we saw the introduction of ballpens, ink cartridges and injection molding, a new era in the writing instruments world.

That´s why I call Vintage any pens made before that date.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

there are interesting parallels in the world of drums.

lots of folks draw the line between vintage and modern when the construction of the drum shells changed from thin 3-ply shells with reinforcement rings to thicker shells with more plys (8+ in some cases.)

Who owned what company when makes a difference too. lots of companies started changing hands in the 80s as Asian manufacturers started upping their game, drastically changing the market.

that's probably enough about drums though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    As I said above, these terms are pretty meaningless with regard to fountain pens. In the UK and perhaps elsewhere, cars and motorbikes made between 1919 and 1930 are vintage, so it has a fixed meaning there. In fountain pens, it means what you want it to mean - there have been several threads about that before. In collectables generally antique means 100 years old or older, so that's a constantly moving definition. It's not very often used for fountain pens except in eBay where it is used to describe just about any pen the seller hope he can get a high price for.

For many years I avoided using "vintage" because it has no definition for fountain pens. I called them old pens, which they indisputably were. In the end I gave in and I bandy "vintage" about with the best of them.
    Interesting, Deb. What are cars from the 60s called? Classics?
    If they spent their whole life in Phoenix, a car. If in Detroit, rust.
    My 2002 Saturn has plastic body panels, largely. Not much rust. I see a lot of rust on other cars.

Aleisha

When I hear antique pen the first things which come up in my mind is that this pen is at least 100 years I bought a planner where I organise my time as I' m a student yet! But you know I didn't know which pen write there. But this
 planner helps me a lot and I know how to spend my time usefully and not to worry that I forget smth as I mention everything what I want there! Special days I emphasize my lovely pen!