Thread: Which one would you choose? Tolstoy, Shakespeare or Collodi

Thanks

Default Which one would you choose? Tolstoy, Shakespeare or Collodi

Hi, everyone. I really enjoy reading everyones reviews, questions and inputs. It has made my experience with this hobby very enjoyable.

I have the opportunity to purchase a WE but I have not been able to see any of them personally, only through photos. Does anyone have these models and would like to share with me your experience regarding writing experience, fit and finish, hand feel, etc.? My 3 options are the Tolstoy, Shakespeare and the Collodi. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks

Default Re: Which one would you choose? Tolstoy, Shakespeare or Collodi

Only one Writers Edition i'd be interested - the Agatha Christie.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

Analogriter (August 15th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,518 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Analogriter View Post
    ...My 3 options are the Tolstoy, Shakespeare and the Collodi. Thank you for sharing.
    Those are essentially 146 piston-fillers differentiated by specially embossed nibs and fancy barrels and caps. In other words, they in all likelihood write the same with factory-installed M nibs (assuming they are all the same width nib). If you can try before you buy, you may discover slight differences in the tip of the nib. If you are buying used or comparing different nib widths, then all bets are off and you really should try them before settling on one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    ...My 3 options are the Tolstoy, Shakespeare and the Collodi. Thank you for sharing.
    Those are essentially 146 piston-fillers differentiated by specially embossed nibs and fancy barrels and caps. In other words, they in all likelihood write the same with factory-installed M nibs (assuming they are all the same width nib). If you can try before you buy, you may discover slight differences in the tip of the nib. If you are buying used or comparing different nib widths, then all bets are off and you really should try them before settling on one.
    They will all be new pens. Do you know if MB had changed the way they grind the nibs? I noticed, from a FPN thread, some photos of a Exupery nib that it is more angular, having more flat surfaces both on the top and also sides of the nib. I’m wondering if they are there for aesthetic reasons or for tactile reasons.

How about appearances, which one do you think will withstand the test of time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

The No. 6 nibs will all be hand-finished. If you plan to use the pen, it behooves you to try Montblanc testers to compare nibs from EF to OBB before you buy new. If you just want to own a WE pen without regard to the nib, then you'll get an M and that's that, and you'll have a limited period of time to have the pen shipped to Hamburg for a nib swap at no cost, followed by an approximate two-month turn-around. Inquire about this before you plonk down your money. If you buy from an unauthorized dealer, then all bets are (again) off and you may be stuck with the M nib unless you pay full boat for a swap ($300 now? - Used to about $265 but I have no idea anymore).

Which one? Buy what you like. Some WE pens really stand out in design: the Christie, the Hemingway and the Proust. Again, buy the one that you want to keep forever (i.e., till you're dead), and don't be swayed by what others opine is best-looking. If you do that, you might just as well buy a 146 which is the same piston-fill writer and yet has a proven admired design, more so than any WE.

I'm not fond of any of the post-2001 WE pens after which they became too gaudy and heavy, but here are my observations. The hammered effect is nice (look at a Parker 51 hammered cap), but it looks machine made on the Tolstoy, and the cap and plastic spoil it. The barrel of the Shakespeare looks "cheap" to me, even if it isn't. I like the retro look of the Collodi cap and black barrel, but then again is spoiled by the modern tail on the barrel. If I had to take one, it'd be the Collodi, but instead of buying the Collodi new, I'd turn to some of the reliable vendors who appear at pen shows who carry many of these, and buy a used, unused or new old stock warranted pen of any of the WE pens since the first, so long as it had the nib I wanted.

This is all IMHO - YMMV!
    Last edited by FredRydr; August 15th, 2018 at 10:54 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Come to the Dallas Pen Show in September, you're bound to find a few vendors who would have these on display and for sale.
    Who knows, you may be able to strike a better bargain there.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

9. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    Only one Writers Edition i'd be interested - the Agatha Christie.
    That pen feels great in the hand. It is my favorite WE, even more so then the Hemingway. It feel more solidly built than the Hemingway.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Analogriter For This Useful Post:

SIR (August 16th, 2018)

Thanks

The No. 6 nibs will all be hand-finished. If you plan to use the pen, it behooves you to try Montblanc testers to compare nibs from EF to OBB before you buy new. If you just want to own a WE pen without regard to the nib, then you'll get an M and that's that, and you'll have a limited period of time to have the pen shipped to Hamburg for a nib swap at no cost, followed by an approximate two-month turn-around. Inquire about this before you plonk down your money. If you buy from an unauthorized dealer, then all bets are (again) off and you may be stuck with the M nib unless you pay full boat for a swap ($300 now? - Used to about $265 but I have no idea anymore).

Which one? Buy what you like. Some WE pens really stand out in design: the Christie, the Hemingway and the Proust. Again, buy the one that you want to keep forever (i.e., till you're dead), and don't be swayed by what others opine is best-looking. If you do that, you might just as well buy a 146 which is the same piston-fill writer and yet has a proven admired design, more so than any WE.

I'm not fond of any of the post-2001 WE pens after which they became too gaudy and heavy, but here are my observations. The hammered effect is nice (look at a Parker 51 hammered cap), but it looks machine made on the Tolstoy, and the cap and plastic spoil it. The barrel of the Shakespeare looks "cheap" to me, even if it isn't. I like the retro look of the Collodi cap and black barrel, but then again is spoiled by the modern tail on the barrel. If I had to take one, it'd be the Collodi, but instead of buying the Collodi new, I'd turn to some of the reliable vendors who appear at pen shows who carry many of these, and buy a used, unused or new old stock warranted pen of any of the WE pens since the first, so long as it had the nib I wanted.

This is all IMHO - YMMV!
    I definitely will be using all of them. Unfortunately, I wasted a trip to the Northpark boutique in Dallas because only the nibs that I have tried before were working properly. The nibs that I wanted to try BB, B, OM, and OB were all damaged or didn't write at all. That's why I'm trying to gather more information from other users to see what their experience is. I have 4 WE: an Agatha in medium, Dumas in medium, Twain in fine and a Homer with a fine nib,which i'm still undecided whether I want to exchange the nib for a bold or OB.

I'm leaning towards the Collodi because of the cap and I normally don't feel anything towards overlays but that cap design is done quite well. But I also like the Tolstoy because of the hammered barrel and I like the author, but you are right about the plastic piston knob. I have been checking ebay and other forums but these models don't seem to come up often.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Come to the Dallas Pen Show in September, you're bound to find a few vendors who would have these on display and for sale.
    I'm definitely going, both days actually. I want Mike Masuyama to help me with some pens, so I plan to be the first on his line.

From your experience, do WE turn up often in these shows and how much would a Schiller be?

Thanks

Contact Chatterly or Toys from the Attic. They carry these type of pens, used or new old stock, and they may even attend the Dallas show.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Contact Chatterly or Toys from the Attic. They carry these type of pens, used or new old stock, and they may even attend the Dallas show.
    Thanks, I'll definitely contact them.

Thanks

I'm definitely going, both days actually. I want Mike Masuyama to help me with some pens, so I plan to be the first on his line.

From your experience, do WE turn up often in these shows and how much would a Schiller be?
    Yes, I personally know that Pete Kirby or Joe Lowe has some (don't know if they have Schiller specifically), so look for them.
    - Will

18. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Mario (Toys from the Attic) is coming to the Dallas Pen Show. Kenro will be there also.
    - Will

Thanks

Yes, I personally know that Pete Kirby or Joe Lowe has some (don't know if they have Schiller specifically), so look for them.

Is Pete Kirby or Joe Lowe affiliated with a company or are they just collectors? How do I find them? How about Kenro?

Thanks

Is Pete Kirby or Joe Lowe affiliated with a company or are they just collectors? How do I find them? How about Kenro?
    They are collectors. To find them just ask people at the front desk.
    And since you're local, at the show, find info about joining the pen club.
    Kenro is a company.
    - Will

Thanks

I am a WE collector and have most of them in my collection. My order of preference is:
    1. Collodi
    2. Tolstoy
    3. Waaaaay behind every WE edition I have in my collection is the Shakespeare. IMHO, I consider this pen as the ugliest of the WE series and have refused to buy one so far. Huge disappointment for me. Looks like a grotesque cheap Chinese made pen by the likes of Jinhao or Hero. Just a major disappointment for me. I was really looking forward to buying the pen dedicated to The Great Bard.

Thanks

Thanks for your input. i have the same opinion as you, but scarcity of the Collodi meant I had to go with the Tolstoy.

I located one and the price is about the price of a Shiller and Faulkner together, both of which I'm quite fond of.