Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Referencing Cher...

Thanks

Default Re: Referencing Cher...

Sometimes dissatisfaction with our pens can point to dissatisfaction within ourselves, perhaps through being a perfectionist and other reasons. It doesn't matter how perfect the pen because flaws will be found even when they don't exist.

Worth a thought anyhoo.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medieval For This Useful Post:

catbert (September 2nd, 2018), Chemyst (January 12th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

It's a good thought, and one I do have regularly, but you should notice if you read the thread that I am not seeking any version of perfection here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    It's a good thought, and one I do have regularly, but you should notice if you read the thread that I am not seeking any version of perfection here.
    Apologies if I may have misunderstood, but this statement in your first post on its own does appear to give some justification for my comment:

Nearly every pen that I've sold I've regretted having to part with, as often they were almost right - just one detail out in the main.

Thanks

Sure. It's a question of what degree of imperfection is acceptable to me, rather than being 100% perfect! So, taking a Parker Duofold I sold. Although not in showroom condition it was pretty much an ideal pen for me except for being a little too short. Intrinsically there was nothing wrong with any of the pens other than being a poor fit for my hand.

Thanks

I am, as my pen name says, an old bloke. That said, I have downsized many, many times over the course of seven decades, and often by necessity and not choice. Regret over what was gone was something I experienced when I was much younger when 'my things' were essentially 'my treasure'. I cherished those things, pens, toys, tools, clothes, etc., because they had memories or meaning attached to them. That changed when I was around 20 or so when I was in the military and began seeing possessions as an inconvenience in a way since; a, I really didn't have room for storing much of anything since I shared a common barrack room in which I had only a bed and a locker; and b, something else to pack and carry each time we 'upped stakes' and moved. More recently, we had horrific bush fires sweep through our area 10 years ago in which 83 families in our church parish alone lost homes. My late wife and I were sitting in our home expecting to have to evacuate, when she asked me how I would feel if we lost everything - meaning all our possessions, photos, keepsakes, collectibles - literally everything. My answer was that all we had, we have, is just gifts and toys for us to enjoy for the finite time we have it - life after all, is finite - our ownership is temporary, and that we have the memories that remain with us forever to cherish when it is gone.

What I am saying is that for me personally, the tangibles I have are on 'loan' to me, to experience and enjoy. The part of them I get to keep is the joy, the experience, the knowledge, and the memories I gain from them. One of those joys is actually giving something I value to someone I love or care for and seeing the joy it gives them. That at least is my tuppence worth.

7. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

azkid (September 3rd, 2018), carlos.q (September 3rd, 2018), catbert (September 3rd, 2018), Chemyst (January 12th, 2019), Chrissy (September 3rd, 2018), Deb (September 10th, 2018), ethernautrix (September 10th, 2018), fountainpagan (September 4th, 2018), Jon Szanto (September 3rd, 2018), junglejim (September 3rd, 2018), Medieval (September 3rd, 2018), Rita_K (September 3rd, 2018), sospiro (September 3rd, 2018)

Thanks

A few rambling thoughts...

Whether the regret was selling the pen, originally buying the pen, gifting the pen, or the choice of person you gifted the pen to, the aim of the game is to come out wiser at the other end. Experience is what we get when we didn't get what we wanted. It's really not a bad consolation prize if you know how to use it.

Talking broader than just pens, I've regretted some stuff I've bought, some stuff I've sold, some friendships made, and some lost. I consider myself a wiser person for all of it. You need to ask yourself not just what you regret, but why you regret it, and whether you'd do the same again - then sleep on it, and ask yourself again. If you keep doing the same thing and getting the same negative results, then something's wrong.

In one way I wish I hadn't bought some of my pens, but they advised me on what to buy next. I wouldn't have bought the right pen without learning those lessons first. Those right pens were cheapos, which many would surely loathe. There are imperfections with them all, but I can tune those out and focus on what I'm writing rather than what I'm writing with. That to me makes for a good pen. I wouldn't want to go for a hike conscious of my shoes with every step, as I'd not be enjoying the scenery or letting my mind wander.

I am fortunate that my successful choices were cheap, and I settled on my favourites within a short space of time. I'm also fortunate that I wasn't seeking perfection, because it doesn't exist, and I'd still be buying, selling, and regretting. Instead, I'm accepting, writing, and enjoying.

The times when you realise a friendship isn't as good as you thought it was, assuming it wasn't a relationship that you had your life deeply invested in, it's a blessing. A shackle broken. A chance to move on to better times.

If you sold a pen, do not replace it. Too many times I have revisited items that way, anly to be reminded why I sold the first one. Just let that experience guide you to the next one. Does there need to be a next one? Is the desire to get a new pen because your existing ones aren't working, or just the dopamine hit of a new shiny thing? If you seek the next answer without first understanding the question, further disappointment lies ahead.

If you could turn back time, you would lose all you have learned. Embrace it, let it guide you, and move forwards - but know where you want to go, and what you want to achieve OR decide that you don't want to know, but are happy to accept whatever you discover. So go with wisdom or with wonder, but with no hard expectation that the next (pen or friend) will be any better than the last. It's just a bonus if it is.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wuddus For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (September 10th, 2018), azkid (September 9th, 2018), catbert (September 9th, 2018), Chemyst (January 12th, 2019), ethernautrix (September 10th, 2018), Medieval (September 10th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (September 10th, 2018)

Thanks

I think you're overestimating my ability to understand such a statement.

The biggest issue with wanting to use fountain pens in such a remote location is in finding and recognising information of value. The forums are so misleading or contrary as to be nigh on useless if you don't already know something about pens.

Anyway, who cares. Down to 6 pens now (just sold another one).

Thanks
    Thanked 4,822 Times in 1,159 Posts

deflect ...

Thanks

Or just the truth of the matter.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

That's ok, the effort is not wasted. Other readers, present and future, will find enlightenment from the piles of wisdom shared willingly in this thread. I know I have done so.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (January 12th, 2019)