Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Referencing Cher...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Referencing Cher...

If I could turn back time.

Now that I am down to 7 pens I have had pause to think back over the last few years. And I am saddened. I wish I knew what I know now (little though that still is) back when I got into this. It would have saved a lot of heartache and perhaps I would have avoided many of the mistakes that I have made.

Pens I got from eBay that were out and out disasters I can put down to inexperience I guess. There were quite a few. Sometimes I followed the hype, most usually an error in judgement.

Nearly every pen that I've sold I've regretted having to part with, as often they were almost right - just one detail out in the main. Nearly every pen I've given away I now regret, as most have ended up in the hands of superficially friendly people who I suspect saw me as a naïve mark.

So, 7 pens left. None of which are especially interesting, though all fulfill the basic function of putting ink on the page.

I also wish I could have met the right people in the right way. Alas that this has never really happened. And I will never forget hearing that "fountain pen people are a better class" then running into the deeply, deeply held grudges of those who should be able to rise above petty discrimination.

Even though this is only a hobby, being marginalised is not fun.

Thanks

Cool Re: Referencing Cher...

Life is expensive hence the draw of asceticism... or, just stop being a pussy; whatever works for you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,869 Times in 810 Posts

Default Re: Referencing Cher...

No need to be saddened. No need for regrets. Just chalk it up to experience.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 434 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    +1. Of all the animals in this world, we humans are the only ones who suffer from regret and depression. Go outside into the sunshine and marvel at the world around you. Feel the sun on your face, listen to the wind flowing through the trees, watch the birds flying about. It took billions of years to reach this point in time. The sum total of humanity is just a mere blink in geologic time, and not even measureable in the universe's time frame. Take your pens and paper with you. Draw something if you have the talent for it. Write something. There are many people in the hospital suffering life changing events who can't get outside. Write them a note, a card, and leave it with a nurse to give to a patient. You'll feel better for it and the person on the receiving end will certainly appreciate it. I know. I've been on the receiving end once many years ago.

All the Best.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 24th, 2018), catbert (August 24th, 2018), Chrissy (August 24th, 2018), Cob (August 25th, 2018), Deb (August 24th, 2018), jacksterp (August 30th, 2018), Lizbay (August 26th, 2018), Rossler (August 31st, 2018)

Thanks

I know it's been cliched to death but just appreciate what you have rather than what you haven't. I've been selling off most of my pens to get down to the core ones that I truly enjoy based on how they write. Attractive pens yet with boring or iffy nibs be gone. For me it's all about nib performance and how it makes me feel writing with it. It's very easy to be taken in by attractive looking pens, but equally easy to fall out of love with them if tall they have is looks.

With every pen I sell I think I will miss it, yet I never do.
    I'm just going to enjoy the pens that I still have.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Medieval For This Useful Post:

catbert (August 24th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I can relate. It can be hard sometimes to get into a positive mindset, at least for me. My inner monologue can be rather a Debbie Downer. :/

I have had some ups and downs with pens (and really every one of my hobbies) but when the downs happen I try to remind myself it is just a hobby. In the big scheme of things not a big deal.

Even the negative experiences often come with lessons. And I like learning about stuff. Even though that can be expensive and frustrating sometimes!

When too discouraged with a hobby I put it on hold and try something else (or nothing) for awhile.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (August 25th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,826 Times in 1,161 Posts

Another purge and regret cycle?

Whoever hurt you/ripped you off, I guarantee they're not thinking about you. Don't waste time on them either.

You can’t turn back but you can start over. Every pen (everything) is imperfect in one way or another. Every 'mistake' teaches you something. What you like is clearer now. Replace the pens you wish you’d kept. Explore strange new brands and boldly go where no EoC has gone before.

Instead of Cher, try Edith Piaf: Je ne regrette rien.

Good luck. Enjoy.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Cob (August 25th, 2018), Deb (August 25th, 2018), Lady Onogaro (August 25th, 2018), Lizbay (August 26th, 2018), Rossler (August 31st, 2018), SchaumburgSwan (September 2nd, 2018), Scrawler (August 26th, 2018)

Thanks

"You can’t turn back but you can start over. "

When it comes to relationships within the so-called pen community this is clearly an illusion. The behaviour of other people during any attempted restart strongly confirms just how narrow-minded and petty they are.

I've not been purging the "collection" (such as it is). I've simply been disposing of things I don't use.

The regret is in two parts:

1. That it is very difficult for someone in my position to ever replace anything that is sold/given away because of my remote location. If at some point in the future I wish to revisit a model, it is increasingly hard to do so. Just look at how I've never been able to secure a suitable Parker 51. And that's a common vintage pen.

2. That I have been lacking in my assessment of those who, in hindsight, only presented a façade of being friendly (they know who they are). I should have been more cautious and less trusting.

Anyway, I am looking for an eighth pen, because eight is a lucky number in Chinese culture! Not sure what to go for though as information is often sparse or contradictory in nature (that's from both business and enthusiast sources).

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    +1. Of all the animals in this world, we humans are the only ones who suffer from regret and depression.
    I cannot agree with you when it comes to equating us humans with animal.
    Other than that I agree with the rest of your paragraph
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    "You can’t turn back but you can start over. "
    When it comes to relationships within the so-called pen community this is clearly an illusion. The behaviour of other people during any attempted restart strongly confirms just how narrow-minded and petty they are.
    I was referring to the pen collection. Re relationships: (1) Airing old grievances doesn't seem like starting over. (2) Why pursue relationships with these terrible people?

1. That it is very difficult for someone in my position to ever replace anything that is sold/given away because of my remote location. If at some point in the future I wish to revisit a model, it is increasingly hard to do so.
    Maybe don't always rush to sell/give away a pen because you're not using it? Having pens in hand to compare is enormously useful in decision-making.

Just look at how I've never been able to secure a suitable Parker 51. And that's a common vintage pen.
    Define 'suitable'. You've had some enviable ones (a stub that was praised by everyone but you). Anyway, isn't the 51 a pen you've regularly rubbished? Again, why pursue something you dislike?

Anyway, I am looking for an eighth pen, because eight is a lucky number in Chinese culture!
    Excellent! As ever, good luck.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Medieval (August 24th, 2018)

Thanks

You misunderstand. It was only when attempting to correct relational issues that I began to realise that these people were closed-minded. If I had figured that out earlier I could have saved myself the bother.

There was a necessity behind every sale, hence the regret over not being able to easily resource in them in the future. Without that necessity I would have kept many of them. The gifts were mostly misguided and went to people who talked the 'friend' talk but didn't walk the walk. Obviously I'm a poor judge of character over the internet.

Suitable? Definition? It's what suits me. The stub I didn't like as a writer. This is not a crime just because everyone else liked the idea of it. I actually find the 51 a useful tool that shows considerable endurance under abuse (i.e. I can literally toss it into a bag and it will work). A good condition mark 1 aerometric 51 in midnight blue with a gold cap and a smooth extra fine nib should not be that hard to find. Somehow, for me it really is. Not much help from the community either.

I know what I like in nibs. Filling that eighth spot just needs time. Thanks

Thanks

You misunderstand. It was only when attempting to correct relational issues that I began to realise that these people were closed-minded. If I had figured that out earlier I could have saved myself the bother.
    Keeping up the jabs seems like a lot of bother ...

There was a necessity behind every sale, hence the regret over not being able to easily resource in them in the future. Without that necessity I would have kept many of them.
    Not how some previous cycles of divestment were characterized. No matter.

Suitable? Definition? It's what suits me. The stub I didn't like as a writer. This is not a crime just because everyone else liked the idea of it.
    No crime at all. Merely observing that some might see you as lucky in your 51 acquisitions.

I actually find the 51 a useful tool that shows considerable endurance under abuse (i.e. I can literally toss it into a bag and it will work). A good condition mark 1 aerometric 51 in midnight blue with a gold cap and a smooth extra fine nib should not be that hard to find. Somehow, for me it really is.
    Give it time. 'Good condition' and 'smooth' will be the stumbling blocks, I guess.

Not much help from the community either.
    Didn't someone (Jon Szanto?) offer to put one together for you from parts?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (August 25th, 2018)

Thanks

True. Fuck 'em.

Not so true, sometimes there were additional aspects.

I'm the one that has to use it. I wasn't lucky in this respect.

Given it enough time already. Not holding breath.

Someone put together a whole pen out the parts I supplied. That was the stub/italic version.

Thanks

Not so true, sometimes there were additional aspects.
    Just going by what you said at the time.

I'm the one that has to use it. I wasn't lucky in this respect.
    We should all be so unlucky. Certainly no one has to use a pen. Or keep it for reference.

Given it enough time already. Not holding breath.
    Patience, grasshopper.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (August 25th, 2018)

Thanks

To be honest, I don’t know what this thread is really about.

I'll say that I did buy an absolutely wonderful pen from you, for which I am grateful. It was an easy & smooth transaction and I am thrilled with the pen. It is a wonderful writing instrument in every way, a is a fine example of one of the very best models (IMO) ever made. When I inked it and wrote with it, I did indeed wonder what was lacking in such a fine example of this great classic pen, & why you would sell it.

I would say it is none of my business but then you keep making threads like this expressing dissatisfaction, remorse, and doing the occasional fora grand good bye only to come back again later. So you are still seeking something. What is it?

So, I'll ask: I love this absolutely charming user grade Parker Duofold you sent me. Unless it is flex you need. What, pray-tell was lacking? It is a great writer, an ergonomic champ, a classic vintage design, made of interesting materials (ebonite), w/ a nice wet Christmas Tree feed. Also, why would you sell that lovely Pelikan 400nn? What more are you looking for? I genuinely struggle to see the source of your chronic dissatisfaction.

What precisely is it you require in a pen that you are not finding?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (August 25th, 2018), KH_Jim (August 26th, 2018)

Thanks

Regret is not the same as remorse.

I think that the Duofold was my all-time favourite vintage pen... except it was slightly too short for me to use unposted and I didn't really want to post it. The form factor was perfect, and I really liked that nib - to the point where I actually considered cannibalising it to go in a custom made body. You know more about the pen than I do too. I had no idea about the materials or the Xmas tree thing. It's a pen I will really miss, and one of the very few that I may come round to considering again. Although I doubt that I would find another quite like it. It may be user grade, but the condition was perfect for me (I wouldn't expect mint condition in a vintage pen anyway).

Flex is a dead end for internet buyers. Too many sellers overstating the properties of the nibs.

The 400nn again is one of those pens whose dimensions feel not quite right in the hand. Almost, but not quite. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with it though, and the nib is a semiflex fine that is fun to use.

Apart from that 400nn I only have one other vintage pen left. That's a Waterman's 52, a pen that is a great length but sadly far too thin for comfort on long writing sessions. I would sell this but I am reasonably certain that I will never find another nib with the same flexibility (and it's not even that flexible).

I think what has happened with me is that I've reached the juncture where I lack confidence that anything I go for will fit my hand properly. And I cannot bear the cost of experimentation.

Just grabbed the rest of the pens for a quick fitness test:

1. The Decimo is a good size and quite usable, though the clip is a distraction.

2. The Lamy 2000 has to be posted and I have to hold it above the section (if that's what the silver part really is). It stays because it is robust... and iconic!

3. The Pilot 823 must also be posted, but is slightly back heavy then. To sell and replace would be too much loss.

4. The Pilot 912 follows the same pattern as the 823. Unfortunately mine has the FA nib, which while fun is not really all that practical.

5. My custom made pen is a great fit (it was custom made after all!) but only has a Jowo nib (which is just okay to use), and I have doubts about the robustness of alumilite over time.

Dissatisfaction is a stronger term when really I am simply noting what does and doesn't work for me.

As ever I am open to suggestions, or even just criticism.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 847 Posts

EF isn't very common in vintage pens. I don't think I've ever had an EF Parker 51.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    EF isn't very common in vintage pens.
    That's a baffling assertion.

The sheer number of vintage pens that I have gotten that disappointed precisely because they were EF/XF or F nibs that were very very fine. I have flipped so many vintage Sheaffers and Parker precisely because they were advertised by sellers as M or F but came pretty much XF.

I don't know what your area is but as a Sheaffer accumulator of many years I can safely say there are plenty of XF nibs out there in the wild. Or Perhaps I have just been "blessed" with a ton of XF P45s, 51s and Snorkels.

Thanks

Someone smarter than me said the line, all the pens just get returned to that big pen pool that we all dip into.

Instead of: If I could turn back time

Try

No regrets Coyote, We just come from such different sets of circumstance.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,591 Times in 699 Posts

This would not be my chosen platform to discuss personal relationships, although that's a secondary theme here.

As for pens, I have more than seven. Enough that I'm deliberately coy about giving a number. Not enough that I would just say: "The heck with it. It's this many, unless I've forgotten some".

I have given away a few fountain pens, even bought one primarily as a gift. Most of the people to whom I would give gifts would probably prefer something else, although of course they're polite about a well intentioned present.

I've never sold one of my fountain pens, although I've been saying that I "should", for some years now. The truth is that I really dislike selling as an activity.

I have relatively few regrets about what I've bought, though. Very few of the modern pens that I've bought have been actual duds; I can only think of three, really, all inexpensive Chinese ones. There have been several that were "blah" enough that I've wondered since why I thought I would want them. I do regret buying more "starter pens" than I really needed. A Pilot FP 78 G, or a Lamy Safari, or a Kaweco plastic Sport or an Ohto Rook, or two Platinum Preppies, or a couple of Jinhaos, Heros, and a Wing Sung, sure. But buying all of these before finally moving on to some higher end Pilots and the other pens with which I now do most of my writing was a bit of a waste.

For vintage pens, there are several which have made their way into the EDC rotation. There are others that I find interesting for one reason or another, and they get used occasionally. Some may never be used again, but I still like them. And I have a small number awaiting repair.

I'm very aware of how much I've spent on pens, inks, papers, and a couple of accessories that I wouldn't have bought if I hadn't started using fountain pens. Experience with other hobbies led me to keep a spreadsheet from the moment that I bought my first fountain pen. The bottom line on that spreadsheet is one reason that I haven't bought much lately. But maybe I will sell some of my pens some day.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

catbert (August 28th, 2018)