Thread: New to me pelikan 100

Thanks

Default New to me pelikan 100

Posted A minute ago

Hello all,
    I'm a fountain pen nerd, although I'm a pretty new fountain pen nerd. I recently picked up what I believe to be, a 1931 Pelikan 100 for about $30 at a flea market in Romania. It's in great shape. I took it apart and cleaned it. It does leak ink through the feed. I posted in another thread (directed back to this thread now) and it sounds like it has a newer nib on it and probably newer feed.

The nib is a 14C 585 which sounds like it's maybe from a 400NN?

Can anyone help me understand this and where I would find a proper nib / feed?

Also I don't know how to tell if the cork plunger is still good with a visual inspection.

Any guidance would be appreciated!
    20180824_210235.jpg20180825_210900.jpg20180825_211025.jpg20180825_211210.jpg20180825_211159_001.jpg

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danmurphymn For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (August 26th, 2018), jodylud (August 29th, 2018)

Thanks

Default Re: New to me pelikan 100

That is indeed an early Pelikan 100 and a very nice find for $30!

The nib is not correct but the feed with 3 lamellae might be original, although one of the lamellae appears to be broken. Check here for pictures of the 100 feeds:
    http://www.pelikan-guide.de/100_feed.html.

The cork may have to be replaced (although I would keep it original) and the plunger appears to be in good condition. Does it extend properly?

What is that black piece on picture 3, right from the plunger mechanism?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jos View Post
    That is indeed an early Pelikan 100 and a very nice find for $30!

The nib is not correct but the feed with 3 lamellae might be original, although one of the lamellae appears to be broken. Check here for pictures of the 100 feeds:
    http://www.pelikan-guide.de/100_feed.html.

The cork may have to be replaced (although I would keep it original) and the plunger appears to be in good condition. Does it extend properly?

What is that black piece on picture 3, right from the plunger mechanism?

Thanks for the reply. After looking through the page you sent, I think the feed is original. Where would I find a nib for a 100?
    And will the pen still work with a broken lamellae?
    I'm thinking that the pen leaks because of needing to be re-corked.

that black piece is the bush that the feed and nib fit into. It looks like maybe that's not original?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danmurphymn View Post
    that black piece is the bush that the feed and nib fit into. It looks like maybe that's not original?
    It is original but it is quite surprising that you managed to unscrew the section from the barrel. The section is normally very tightly fit and trying removing it generally ends up with a broken barrel.

The pen will work fine with the broken lamela and it is logical that the old cork seal has to be replaced.

The easiest way to find a nib is to buy a damaged Pelikan 100 (eg on Ebay-Germany) with intact nib. An original nib might be easier to find than an original feed for your pen.

Thanks

It is original but it is quite surprising that you managed to unscrew the section from the barrel. The section is normally very tightly fit and trying removing it generally ends up with a broken barrel.

The pen will work fine with the broken lamela and it is logical that the old cork seal has to be replaced.

The easiest way to find a nib is to buy a damaged Pelikan 100 (eg on Ebay-Germany) with intact nib. An original nib might be easier to find than an original feed for your pen.
    Thanks for the reply. After cleaning the pen well in water, things came apart relatively easily. I was surprised also!
    I don't suppose that some silicone grease would be enough to solve the piston problem would it? I know it probably needs a new cork, but I'm excited to use the pen!
    Who does the re-corking?

Thanks

nevermind. It broke tonight
    I was lightly polishing it by hand and the body broke!
    I may try to epoxy it since it's at a spot where the piston doesn't go. But... Then do I put the $50 into it to get it re corked if it may still be junk?
    stupid Stupid STUPID!!!

Thanks

I may try to epoxy it since it's at a spot where the piston doesn't go. But... Then do I put the $50 into it to get it re corked if it may still be junk?
    stupid Stupid STUPID!!!

Auch! That is a pity and I've been there too. Pelikan 100 barrels are very brittle. That is why I was surprised that you managed to successfully unscrew the section from the barrel.
    Maybe you can check the www to find an aftermarket replacement barrel. Check for instance the contents of these threads:
    https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...-Propas-Barrel
    https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...an-100-rebuilt
    https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...on-Pelikan-100

Thanks

stupid Stupid STUPID!!!

Auch! That is a pity and I've been there too. Pelikan 100 barrels are very brittle. That is why I was surprised that you managed to successfully unscrew the section from the barrel.
    Maybe you can check the www to find an aftermarket replacement barrel. Check for instance the contents of these threads:
    https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...-Propas-Barrel
    https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...an-100-rebuilt
    https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...on-Pelikan-100
    Thank you for this. I was super excited about this pen, then subsequently extremely disappointed when it broke. I've emailed a handful of the people from these threads already and so far, the responses I've received are basically...
    "I can't fix the pen and I don't have any replacement barrels."
    My only hope now is that Rick Propas still has some replacement barrels. It seems he may be my last hope. But, he's at a pen show until the 30th.
    I hope I hope I hope that he has a replacement barrel. I'll probably re-cork it myself and then try to turn my own Binde and have a fully replaced, upgraded and amazing pen to use everyday and eventually pass down a 150 year old pen to one of my kiddos