Thread: Esterbrook Estie

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

Default Re: Esterbrook Estie

[QUOTE=ethernautrix;247470]
    Quote Originally Posted by although View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    ....I find this fellow irritating and hard to listen to, ....
    The pen seems fine. I think the whole Esterbrook story has taken a turn for the better with the new owners.

Also, I have to say, I really enjoy PenBoyRoy's style. Fresh, flashy, a little irreverent, a little self deprecating. I love his humor, and I really like reading the things he writes in his writing samples when his voice-over is saying something completely different. It's a nice break from the usual fare. Of course, I also like SBRE Brown and Waski Squirrel. They also aren't afraid to show a little personality. Give Roy another chance. You gotta admit, his fancy graphics are really next level

Cheers!
    PenBoyRoy is my favorite pen reviewer. I enjoy Waski and SBRE, et al, but I love PBR's sense of humor.
    There's been an error in editing the html tags. If you check earlier in the thread, before the post I'm quoting, you'll find it was Kaputnik who found the reviewer irritating, not me. The quote attributed to me was not mine; I never mentioned Pen Boy Roy. But since enquiring minds want to know, allow me to reveal that I find him simultaneously mildly amusing and mildly annoying.
    Last edited by calamus; September 1st, 2018 at 03:41 PM.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,155 Posts

Brian Anderson's take.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

calamus (September 10th, 2018), Jon Szanto (September 5th, 2018), KKay (September 23rd, 2018), penwash (September 5th, 2018), Scrawler (September 5th, 2018)

Thanks

Brian makes the Estie sound like a steal at a mere $200. Go figger. I don't think that Roy's brash style is winning many converts. And I find it disturbing that I'm so easily swayed by presentation.
    The main problem for me is that I can't afford to spend $200 -- or $600, or $900, or more -- on a pen. I could swing $200, maybe, for the Holy Grail of pens, if I could find it for that, but as enticing as Brian makes the Estie sound, I don't think I'd hear angels singing if I ever saw one in the flesh... errr, resin.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

I wanted to be positive about the latest homage to Esterbrook, but they have placed the pen in a very crowded price-point area. Lots of pens at that strata, including the recent flood of well-made Chinese offerings. Taken just as is, the pen is nice but nothing remarkable when compared on the market. My biggest disappointment is that while the pen supposedly will sell at the discounted price of $156 (or so), simply adding the section that threads in for original Estie nib use increases the price by $40. For a simply piece of machined plastic I honestly believe they missed a golden opportunity. When it must only cost pennies to create and include in the package, they could pull in a lot of people who love those old nibs and would like to use them with a converter. Would *I* pay $200 for a modern pen just to use those nibs? No, I wouldn't.

Time will tell. The marketing may be a hit with a 'new' (i.e. young) market but I have my doubts at their chosen MSRP.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

calamus (September 11th, 2018), Deb (September 10th, 2018), penwash (September 10th, 2018), Robert (September 10th, 2018), Scrawler (September 11th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,590 Times in 699 Posts

Brian makes the Estie sound like a steal at a mere $200. Go figger. I don't think that Roy's brash style is winning many converts. And I find it disturbing that I'm so easily swayed by presentation.
    The main problem for me is that I can't afford to spend $200 -- or $600, or $900, or more -- on a pen. I could swing $200, maybe, for the Holy Grail of pens, if I could find it for that, but as enticing as Brian makes the Estie sound, I don't think I'd hear angels singing if I ever saw one in the flesh... errr, resin.
    The calmer, more matter of fact presentation does make a more persuasive sales pitch, and I don't forget that it is part sales pitch. Brian Anderson, unlike the other fellow, will actually be selling these. But of course, one could say that he will be selling them because he believes in the product, and I've never had any qualms about buying from him in general. His review does answer most of the questions one might have about the pen itself. And it shows the vintage nib converter, so that's a bit more information, regardless of whether it's worth the extra $40 that they want for it.

It's still not persuasive to me, as I think the Esterbrook name is being used to justify a higher price than this pen would otherwise go for. But that point has already been made, and it will be interesting to see if people do buy these. Goulet's is also advertising them for October, $156 for the smaller one, $200 for the larger. Not for me, thanks.

By the way, this may seem hopelessly old-fashioned, but in general I don't like sitting through these video reviews. I think the same information would be much more palatable in written form, with a few still photographs where necessary. Some repair instructions benefit from video demonstrations, but there was nothing in these reviews that required that. One would think that pen people would prefer reading a review to watching it. But evidently, one would be wrong.
    Last edited by Kaputnik; September 10th, 2018 at 03:00 PM.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

calamus (September 11th, 2018), catbert (September 10th, 2018), Deb (September 13th, 2018)

Thanks

PenBoyRoy has purposely chosen a style different to the other reviewers (and took advice from David 'Figboot' Parsons). I like his reviews though I can understand why some people would not. On Brian Anderson, I think he's in a very difficult position. On the one hand he runs the main Estie info website, on the other one of his suppliers, Kenro, have asked/told him to sell a pen and as aresult he can't say anything bad about it - it's the same situation Brian Goulet finds himself in (and any other retailer out there).

My personal views - it's missed the brief by a long shot. Forget about being able to use the old nibs - it's a nice touch, but the core product is flawed. I've no problem with it being generic, after all only the most hardcore of Estie fans could deny the originals had the same failing. The problem for me is the price. Esterbrook were late to the fountain pen show, but they made and sold cheap, reliable, rugged, work horse pens that have proved themselves over time. For me for the Esterbrook Estie to have the same cache it would need to be in the $50-80 range, not $200.

My 2p

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dapprman For This Useful Post:

calamus (September 11th, 2018), catbert (September 10th, 2018), Jon Szanto (September 10th, 2018), Kaputnik (September 10th, 2018)

Thanks

By the way, this may seem hopelessly old-fashioned, but in general I don't like sitting through these video reviews. I think the same information would be much more palatable in written form, with a few still photographs where necessary. Some repair instructions benefit from video demonstrations, but there was nothing in these reviews that required that. One would think that pen people would prefer reading a review to watching it. But evidently, one would be wrong.
    I can't do anything but agree with you. My time is valuable and most of the reviewers on video are amateurish at best. I won't sit through shit like that UNLESS they have some drop-dead great info, and that is rarely the case. It's all just opinionating and garnering fans and being a pencelebrity. The worst part is there is no true way to skim through a video review as you can with a written review (I'm a fast reader).

Not my style, inefficient in delivery and rarely well done. They certainly are poplular with a percentage of people, though, so they are here to stay.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

calamus (September 11th, 2018), catbert (September 10th, 2018), Deb (September 13th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dapprman View Post
    On Brian Anderson, I think he's in a very difficult position. On the one hand he runs the main Estie info website, on the other one of his suppliers, Kenro, have asked/told him to sell a pen and as aresult he can't say anything bad about it - it's the same situation Brian Goulet finds himself in (and any other retailer out there).
    Indeed. And I see Pen Boy Roy is sponsored now.

More from the Andersons around 5:50 in this (roughly a 6-minute segment). Perhaps I read too much into that sigh at the beginning:

Tried to embed at the relevant timecode. Didn't seem to work.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I can't do anything but agree with you. My time is valuable and most of the reviewers on video are amateurish at best. I won't sit through shit like that UNLESS they have some drop-dead great info, and that is rarely the case. It's all just opinionating and garnering fans and being a pencelebrity. The worst part is there is no true way to skim through a video review as you can with a written review (I'm a fast reader).

Not my style, inefficient in delivery and rarely well done. They certainly are poplular with a percentage of people, though, so they are here to stay.
    I’d much rather read if the writing is good.

On YouTube I skip intros, use thumbnails to fast-forward, and treat long videos as radio. It all depends on the delivery and ratio of content to self-indulgent waffle.

Thanks

This is the first time I've seen a review by Roy Boy and I rather enjoyed his fast moving style. I'm not sure how his style will stand the test of time with me, but I enjoyed my first experience. As for the Estie, the only word that comes to mind is "meh".

I am surprised that a company and people that make livings based on marketing have fallen into the trap of introducing a product that is basically a "me too" that offers little of advantage compared to well established competitors.

If I want to use Esterbrook nibs, original Esties are readily available at a fraction of the price.

If I want good looking cartridge converter pens with a wider array of models and materials in a similar price range, I can choose from Franklin Christoph, Edison, Jonathan Brooks, and others. Quite honestly, I would prefer to support any of those companies.

If I consider other pens where a street price or a lightly used pen is available at a comparable price, Platinum 3776 or several Sailor lines offer gold nibs.

If the Estie offers anything different, I suppose one could argue that with the adapter it does provide the ability to use vintage Esterbrook nibs with the convenience of a cartridge converter filling system. Personally, that is not of much interest to me and if the marketers felt it was an important differentiating factor I think it should have been a standard feature, not an extra cost option. But then, that would have led to less favorable financial comparisons with the competition.

I'll stop by Kenro's table at the next show to say hello to Brian, Ryan, and Kerry, but I don't think I'll be greeting any Esties.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

...pencelebrity....
    The Kardashian wannabes of pendom?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    ...pencelebrity....
    The Kardashian wannabes of pendom?
    Lower tier. More in line with Instagram stars. But you have the right idea.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

Did anyone look at the box?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Even nicer than the first reboot, according to Brian (around 12:57 in video above).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    A few.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    I’d much rather read if the writing is good.

On YouTube I skip intros, use thumbnails to fast-forward, and treat long videos as radio. It all depends on the delivery and ratio of content to self-indulgent waffle.
    I feel you. On the other hand, how-to videos showing & narrating steps transfers knowledge more efficiently than trying to describe steps in words and stills.

With a written blog, one could use short video clips to show writing, ink, and nib behavior.

My advice to all vloggers: don't wing it, script it and practice it. That's the only way for the vast majority of speakers to talk fluidly and engagingly.

Oh, and get to the damn point immediately. If you need a ten minute video to monetize then do multiple review segments per episode, don't goof around for 8 minutes then do a 2 minute review.

Kudos to anyone willing to go thru the massive amount of effort to do a vlog.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

calamus (September 11th, 2018), catbert (September 11th, 2018), Jon Szanto (September 13th, 2018)

Thanks

Not to beat dead horse, but, yeah.

Thanks

Does anybody know where these resurrected "Esties" are being manufactured? If in the US, that might account for the price point being on the high side.

Thanks

Does anybody know where these resurrected "Esties" are being manufactured? If in the US, that might account for the price point being on the high side.
    Taiwan.

Thanks

I kind of like it. It wouldn't be the most expensive JoWo holder I'd bought, though I feel better buying something from Edison or Bexley; seems more personal. And for cheaper you can get a Rosetta Coronado if you just like the nib. And the pen police wouldn't come and take away my vintage Esterbrooks just because I bought a modern pen with the same name.

The video seems fine, but I like pen videos. I prefer reference and instructional information in text with pictures, and like reading text reviews also, but videos are fine. I fast forward them more now than I did the first 100 or so I watched, but still watch them; they aren't just informational, they are a moment of shared humanity also.

I haven't committed to buying one but I'll keep an eye on it.