Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Esterbrook Estie

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 809 Posts

Default Re: Esterbrook Estie

Here is a thought: maybe the MV adapter can be used with other pens that use Jowo nib units... This would mean that for the price of the $40 adapter you could use your vintage Esterbrook nibs with many other pens.

What do you think?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

catbert (September 14th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,822 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Here is a thought: maybe the MV adapter can be used with other pens that use Jowo nib units... This would mean that for the price of the $40 adapter you could use your vintage Esterbrook nibs with many other pens.

What do you think?
    Interesting idea.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

It is indeed an interesting idea, but based on my own sampling of quite a few original Esterbrook nibs I can't see it being of appeal. I don't think any of the vintage Esterbrook nibs are that good. Adequate, yes. Still, an interesting idea, nonetheless.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

catbert (September 14th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    It is indeed an interesting idea, but based on my own sampling of quite a few original Esterbrook nibs I can't see it being of appeal. I don't think any of the vintage Esterbrook nibs are that good. Adequate, yes. Still, an interesting idea, nonetheless.
    I can see it appealing to people who prefer bigger pens, dislike lever fillers, and are curious about the range of Esterbrook nibs compared to what you get in a standard no. 6.

I enjoy my J and LJ, and a range of interesting 9xxx nibs, but sometimes it's fun to put those nibs in a slightly larger Rapidograph body with a piston filler.

Ester-noor.jpg

7. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Kaputnik (September 14th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,591 Times in 699 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    I can see it appealing to people who prefer bigger pens, dislike lever fillers, and are curious about the range of Esterbrook nibs compared to what you get in a standard no. 6.

I enjoy my J and LJ, and a range of interesting 9xxx nibs, but sometimes it's fun to put those nibs in a slightly larger Rapidograph body with a piston filler.

Ester-noor.jpg
    Interesting. I don't have any Rapidographs, but didn't know you could do that.

I like slim pens, preferring the SJ to the J, but for those who don't want to deal with lever fillers, M2s are not hard to find. Built in squeeze filler, still Esterbrook quality.

"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

azkid (September 14th, 2018), catbert (September 14th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post
    Interesting. I don't have any Rapidographs, but didn't know you could do that.

I like slim pens, preferring the SJ to the J, but for those who don't want to deal with lever fillers, M2s are not hard to find. Built in squeeze filler, still Esterbrook quality.

The limiting factor with Esterbrook nibs in the Rapidograph has been that longer-tined nibs (the flexy ones, for example) feel like they're scraping the inside of the cap. A stubbier (in both senses) 9668 is a good fit.

I go back and forth whether I prefer the J or LJ (don't have an SJ) in hand.

Good point about the M2, though I get the impression that sac fillers of any kind are off-putting to some.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I suppose there is a lot to be said for cartridges.

I am guessing the Esterbrook cartridge pens (CX-100, ...?) use proprietary cartridges that no other cartridge fits?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

catbert (September 14th, 2018), Frank (September 16th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    I suppose there is a lot to be said for cartridges.

I am guessing the Esterbrook cartridge pens (CX-100, ...?) use proprietary cartridges that no other cartridge fits?
    I believe so, though I recall hacks involving other brand cartridges.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Frank (September 16th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

What do you think?
    Um... I think there is some erroneous thinking here. I'm pretty certain, from watching the vid, that the adapter has to thread into the barrel, not into where the section would take a Jowo threaded unit. The section that comes with the pen must be threaded into the barrel as well. The only way you could use the adapter is if you cut off the end of a barrel and put thread *inside* to accept the adapter.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 809 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

What do you think?
    Um... I think there is some erroneous thinking here. I'm pretty certain, from watching the vid, that the adapter has to thread into the barrel, not into where the section would take a Jowo threaded unit. The section that comes with the pen must be threaded into the barrel as well. The only way you could use the adapter is if you cut off the end of a barrel and put thread *inside* to accept the adapter.
    Curses... Foiled again!

However this could be a nice project for an amateur pen turner.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

Thanks

What do you think?
    Curses... Foiled again!

However this could be a nice project for an amateur pen turner.
    Assumed you meant find an existing pen with barrel threads that match the MV section. Might still be possible.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Assumed you meant find an existing pen with barrel threads that match the MV section. Might still be possible.
    I may buy one of the 'sections' to see if it fits any contemporary pens I have (or friends have). Next step would be to get one of the pen-turners - or any good craftsman - to check the thread pitch on it.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

catbert (September 14th, 2018), Frank (September 16th, 2018)

Thanks

I may buy one of the 'sections' to see if it fits any contemporary pens I have (or friends have). Next step would be to get one of the pen-turners - or any good craftsman - to check the thread pitch on it.
    Would be useful to compile a list of pens that fit (if any).

24. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Would be useful to compile a list of pens that fit (if any).
    Hehe, I'm not going to hold my breath for success - that would just be too easy. I'll certainly post results when/if the time comes.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (September 15th, 2018), Jon Szanto (September 14th, 2018)

Thanks

They did.....It uses a nib, draws in ink, and has a cap that posts.....What more is it that you see that is lacking.....

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    It doesn't look like an Esterbrook (any model).
    It looks more like a Sheaffer Balance wannabe.

I'm sorry, when will these modern manufacturers learn to actually and faithfully make a modern version of a tried and true formula?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    They did.....It uses a nib, draws in ink, and has a cap that posts.....What more is it that you see that is lacking.....

I'm sorry, when will these modern manufacturers learn to actually and faithfully make a modern version of a tried and true formula?
    What it is lacking is any visual connection to an original Esterbrook. ANY model Esterbrook. If someone wants to market a generic pen, fine, but if they appropriate a name from a venerated brand AND they trade off that name in their marketing, one would expect even the slightest nod to it's lineage.

~ Benjamin Franklin

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

azkid (September 18th, 2018), catbert (September 18th, 2018), Kaputnik (September 18th, 2018), KKay (September 23rd, 2018), penwash (September 18th, 2018)

Thanks

I like the acrylic, and the cap spring. I prefer caps with rings though, like my LJ has. The price though was a big surprise, and not a good one. I would prefer a Sailor that has a gold nib, and it is wonderful. (If I was looking at a similar priced pen.) I doubt seriously that I would purchase the Estie. I love the vintage ones though. This new Estie may drive up the price of the old vintage nibs, and that is disappointing. Now if they remade some of the Dollar Pens, I'd love that.

As far as Pen Boy Roy, I like his reviews overall. His channel is different, no doubt about it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post

What it is lacking is any visual connection to an original Esterbrook. ANY model Esterbrook. If someone wants to market a generic pen, fine, but if they appropriate a name from a venerated brand AND they trade off that name in their marketing, one would expect even the slightest nod to it's lineage.
    Car makers have made new versions of old classics while still evoking their lineage. Think Mini, VW Beetle, Fiat 500. It can be done.

And, unlike, car makers, pen makers are not constrained by safety tests and fuel efficiency requirements. (It might be argued that modern pens have lower ink efficiency requirements, but maybe that's a different thread.)