Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New PM inbox?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: New PM inbox?

So are the threads going to just drop off on their own after a certain amount of time? We can't delete them, it's going to get messy eventually.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Ok, here is another thing, and correct me if I'm wrong, but...

I always used to be able to go into a 'conversation' and by clicking on reply or whatever, it would quote the initial message into my reply. Tonight I got a PM, and the only way I could make a reply with a quote in it was to copy/paste it into a quotation set of tags in the quick reply.

Uhhh, computers are supposed to make our lives easier. What happened here? This doesn't seem right At All.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Do you really need to quote? Its just you and the other person in the thread. Unless what your're quoting is out of sequence in relation to the thread itself, it's sort of redundant. Unless you have multiple participants as in a public thread then yes, quotes are handy.

Thanks

Ugh my phone keybord is acting weird.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

I would still prefer the older interface....being able to delete all but the newest replies, a few other features that make the Inbox easy and convenient to use
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Ok, here is another thing, and correct me if I'm wrong, but...

I always used to be able to go into a 'conversation' and by clicking on reply or whatever, it would quote the initial message into my reply. Tonight I got a PM, and the only way I could make a reply with a quote in it was to copy/paste it into a quotation set of tags in the quick reply.

Uhhh, computers are supposed to make our lives easier. What happened here? This doesn't seem right At All.
    Quoting the other person's message would be redundant and waste space in the threaded layout. The entire conversation is listed below the comment box.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    So are the threads going to just drop off on their own after a certain amount of time? We can't delete them, it's going to get messy eventually.
    No, they won't drop off. Why would it get messy? All the messages are grouped into threads, sorted by newest at the top, making them easier to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I would still prefer the older interface....being able to delete all but the newest replies, a few other features that make the Inbox easy and convenient to use
    I have to disagree. The old inbox was far from easy and convenient to use. If one person forgot to quote the conversation then you had to go through all your PM's to find the rest of the convo. Having it grouped into a thread is so much easier to read. As far as deleting PM's, I'm not sure it makes a difference. When I installed the mod it brought back PM's from a year ago that had long been deleted, but aren't counted against my PM count.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Do you really need to quote? Its just you and the other person in the thread. Unless what your're quoting is out of sequence in relation to the thread itself, it's sort of redundant. Unless you have multiple participants as in a public thread then yes, quotes are handy.
    Hrrmmm.

I guess I needn't feel the need to justify my request, but... If a person writes me a long msg, with many points, I find it handy to quote that, and maybe even break it up as I go, so as to answer the points in order. No, it isn't drop-dead necessary; yes, that is the way it has functioned in the past.

If that functionality has changed, fine, I'll deal. I haven't seen the upside to this, but assuming it was something that just rolled in with a platform update or something, one must just get on with it, I suppose.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Jon, I don't think you need to justify your request, but explaining how you use it might help others understand and recommend an alternative.

I'm with you, I regularly break down the conversation and respond directly to certain points within quotes. I don't think the new threaded PM style has made this any more difficult. Either way, you'd be cutting, copying, pasting, or deleting parts of the conversation and wrapping quote tags around certain elements.

If a majority of the users really thinks the threaded PM's is less useful, and not just complaining about change, then we'll go back to the old style.

Thanks

Thanks, Dan. I was mostly thrown by the initial response-to-a-post, which was missing the "Reply with Quote" button. Not a huge issue, not even a small one really.

Carry on!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    Same here. *Definitely* seems like the Inbox should act exactly as the Sent folder does. I smell a glitch.
    Unfortunately, it's not a glitch, just a lack of features.

The new layout for PMs was the best solution to having a threaded conversation I could find. I thought it was much better than the old method, but I can certainly switch it back if the community wants. As far as archiving your messages or clearing space in our inbox, I'd download them in the 3 formats available and then empty your PMs.

I'm certainly open to ideas.
    So is there any way to delete individual PMs from the Inbox?
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

What I don't get is that the inbox is filling up again but they don't disappear when you empty your inbox.

Thanks

Did the old PM system send an email notice? The deleting thing is odd but I can live with it. Will it auto delete? Or do I have to go in when it is full and delete everything myself? As that seems counter productive; as if I'm in the middle of a conversation and my inbox becomes full, I now have to delete the conversation that I'm having to be able to get a response.

Thanks

Just yesterday I got an automated email letting me know it was 90% full. I did the only thing you can do at the moment (download the msgs in some format), and then emptied the Inbox.

Which then leads to that odd situation: you now have 100% storage available, but the old msg subject lines are still listed, and, sure enough, clicking on them brings up the conversation.

Truly odd.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Yeah, they don't go away. From what I can tell, it looks like the mod just creates your own personal forum linking the PM's to threads and the PM box is in the background

Thanks

Dan, can I double-check with you that you've received a couple of PMs from me? I don't mind what your response to them is, or if you've not had a chance to read them etc. It's just I got a PM from you which made me think there's a bug in the PM system or something.
    Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : '70s Pilot Elite pocket pen review

Thanks

I'm beginning to think there's a bug too. Tried to delete a whole pile of stuff and it just won't go. Am I doing something wrong?
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/peachez

Thanks

Just yesterday I got an automated email letting me know it was 90% full. I did the only thing you can do at the moment (download the msgs in some format), and then emptied the Inbox.

Which then leads to that odd situation: you now have 100% storage available, but the old msg subject lines are still listed, and, sure enough, clicking on them brings up the conversation.

Truly odd.
    Same oddness here.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Thanks

Check my posts earlier in the thread. That's the way it works. Just empty your inbox and you get to keep your PM's. but the counter goes down to zero messages. Don't forget to empty your sent items too. They count against your quota.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Annie (July 7th, 2013)

Thanks

Thanks Ivan. Did what you dun said and all fine now.