Thread: Sheaffer vac/plunger filler - barrel threads no longer engage with inner capsule

Thanks

Default Sheaffer vac/plunger filler - barrel threads no longer engage with inner capsule

Hi all! I am just getting back into pens after a 4 year break... I recently have taken an interest in old Sheaffer plunger fillers and have purchased some tools to work on them...

So I have a Sheaffer vac filler here, of the type where there is an inner ink chamber which contains the plunger, etc... the outer barrel threads no longer engage with the inner ink capsule and tighten down like they are supposed to. What is the best method to address this (other than scotch tape!)...?

Thanks.

Photo:
    [IMG] pen-issue.png[/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith_in_SF; August 29th, 2018 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Default Re: Sheaffer vac/plunger filler - barrel threads no longer engage with inner capsule

Keith, since you don't need to separate the barrel in the daily operation of the pen, you could put a little thread sealant (softer and easier to heat up and remove then shellac if you need to) on the loose thread. The thread sealant will act as a glue to keep the two parts together despite the loose thread, with the benefit of still being able to remove it.

The thread sealant I'm talking about is the rosin-based one. I got a tube from Ron Zorn that will last me practically as long as I do vintage pen restoration
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

3. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 30th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Default Re: Sheaffer vac/plunger filler - barrel threads no longer engage with inner capsule

The cartridge has shrunk. Just find a replacement or use the pen for parts.

This is a rather common problem on these.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (August 31st, 2018)

Thanks

Thanks for the replies - I actually found a thread on FPN where Ron Zorn suggests using epoxy to build up the threads. That seems to have worked, though it still doesn't tighten down completely (the little ring with the cap threads spins if I'm not gentle when capping) ... maybe I used the wrong epoxy? [PC Products 7]

Anyway, the pen is usable now and it writes wonderfully. Don't think I could stand to scrap this one for parts...

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...arrel-threads/

The plastics shrink, i.e. get thinner, so that the threads don't engage properly and the barrel spins on the insert unit. This is quite common on the later plunger fill pens with the solid Forticel colors. I put a blob of epoxy on the threads and let it harden, then file it down so that it is thinner, but not quite to the threads, or until the filler screws in and is snug, but no tight. I don't like paper, and never ever use Teflon tape.
    PS: I keep trying to register at FPN, but I never seem to get the verification email. I even created a new Gmail account for this purpose and have checked spam folders very carefully - anyone know what's up?
    Last edited by Keith_in_SF; September 2nd, 2018 at 02:26 PM.

Thanks

I know it’s a year and a half later, but I also have been unsuccessful in joining FPN and there is currently a message displayed that new applications are not currently being accepted.

Thanks

Farmboy is being a bit of a pessemist, as sometimes these still fill and write despite the shrinkage of the inner section, but in most cases he's right... You can tailor the amount of "fill" in the threads by adding plumbers' teflon tape to the inner threads, put it on thick, then remove it a little at a time until the barrel sleeve threads on successfully, this might make the pen useable again, at least until the seals go (if they haven't already).
    David-

So many restoration projects...

Thanks

Heat the binde a bit and it'll shrink to match the inner barrel. It's a tricky thing to do without warping the binde but done slowly it works well and looks good.

Stacy Hills
    PaperWantsAPen