Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Other interests...not pen related!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,443 Times in 2,523 Posts

Default Re: Other interests...not pen related!

For the film photographers among us, check out the film Finding Vivian Meier if you haven't already. I bought the DVD, and then Netflix picked it up. Museums refuse to exhibit her work, presumably because she's a "nobody." There's a website: http://www.vivianmaier.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapidray View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by another pen View Post
    Film photography really got into it about 10 years ago before it was getting popular and prices of cameras we're dirt cheap. Currently, I have about 10, 35mm cameras and a couple medium format 120. I love to develop my own film in my laundry room, I do black and white and also c-41 color, but with color I hate the smell of the chemicals.
    I recently saw an exhibit of fantastic black and white photographs that the artist originally took digitally and retook using 35 mm film format. It was a series of character studies with the primary interest being the characters facial features. Surprisingly, she was not satisfied with quality of detail, etc. once the digitals were enlarged for display. Film format gave her the outcome she wanted to achieve.
    How big was she blowing them up???
    It doesn't take much to pixilate a digital image but it's near impossible to do that with film.
    You are 100% right, which, if the goal was to enlarge it to a big size, why not start it with film to begin with? Work smarter, not harder.
    I have replaced my ‘old, original’ iPad with there newest 12.9??? And the camera is just awesome. I am really happy with it.
    0.5mm vs 0.7mm graphite sizes is much like 9mm vs 45acp...they both work if you know what you are doing. - me

Looking for Caran d'Ache Type 55 2mm set and Rotation .7 pencils.

Thanks

Vivian Meier open up my eyes to street photography, I have a few books of her and also Garry Winogrand. That's another interest that I have, street photography just depended on the mood I'm in. I think she was the first person to invent the "selfie picture" If you see some of her work.

Sorry I hope I'm not hijacking this thread

4. The Following User Says Thank You to another pen For This Useful Post:

Rapidray (September 9th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    For the film photographers among us, check out the film Finding Vivian Meier if you haven't already. I bought the DVD, and then Netflix picked it up. Museums refuse to exhibit her work, presumably because she's a "nobody." There's a website: http://www.vivianmaier.com
    https://youtu.be/DMD3YupiuU4
    I hope this link works...first time I’ve tried this.
    Thanks for sharing this...she will go down with the greatest B&W photographers...her work will stand with Ansel Adams. I liked she even photographed Frank Sinatra, Salvador Dali.
    0.5mm vs 0.7mm graphite sizes is much like 9mm vs 45acp...they both work if you know what you are doing. - me

Thanks

...her work will stand with Ansel Adams....
    Well, I don't compare Adams with street photographers, but I'd say she's on par with the much-vaunted Henri Cartier-Bresson.

Thanks

...her work will stand with Ansel Adams....
    Well, I don't compare Adams with street photographers, but I'd say she's on par with the much-vaunted Henri Cartier-Bresson.
    Yes, their subject matter is totally different, their end result, the photos, are great. Blacks black and whites white. They have the zone system down pat.

Thanks

No you are not hijacking...photography is an interest with the members so exploring it would be enlightening. I personally haven’t heard of Vivian until Fred’s post. I like learning new stuff, see new ideals and views.

Thanks

Film photography really got into it about 10 years ago before it was getting popular and prices of cameras we're dirt cheap. Currently, I have about 10, 35mm cameras and a couple medium format 120. I love to develop my own film in my laundry room, I do black and white and also c-41 color, but with color I hate the smell of the chemicals.
    I recently saw an exhibit of fantastic black and white photographs that the artist originally took digitally and retook using 35 mm film format. It was a series of character studies with the primary interest being the characters facial features. Surprisingly, she was not satisfied with quality of detail, etc. once the digitals were enlarged for display. Film format gave her the outcome she wanted to achieve.
    How big was she blowing them up???
    The artist was Erica Deeman. The link below is to her website. It shows some of her phenomenal work on display. You can see the scale of her enlargement in the photo.

Link: http://www.ericadeeman.com/
    Sorry, I missed your reply. Thanks for the link and will explore it some more later.

Thanks

Here's a movie on street photography. I actually bought this video couple years ago it's now free and it motivates me when I want to go out shooting and asking strangers if if they don't mind if I take a portrait.
    [URLhttps://youtu.be/KGECoR7KCUEURL]

https://youtu.be/KGECoR7KCUE

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thanks

Here's a movie on street photography. I actually bought this video couple years ago it's now free and it motivates me when I want to go out shooting and asking strangers if if they don't mind if I take a portrait.
    [URLhttps://youtu.be/KGECoR7KCUEURL]

https://youtu.be/KGECoR7KCUE

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    I’m not old enough lol. Another form to fill out.

Thanks

No you are not hijacking...photography is an interest with the members so exploring it would be enlightening. I personally haven’t heard of Vivian until Fred’s post. I like learning new stuff, see new ideals and views.
    The full-length film has the background how a bidder at an auction discovered her work in lot boxes, and tracked down more in storage. Then her unusual history stretching from a village in France to the cities of America. Check it out! Thanks for the YouTube link to the slideshow of her work!

Thanks

The full-length film has the background how a bidder at an auction discovered her work in lot boxes, and tracked down more in storage. Then her unusual history stretching from a village in France to the cities of America. Check it out! Thanks for the YouTube link to the slideshow of her work!
    Not a problem..thank you for sharing!

Thanks

Big cameras, sheet film, printing in platinum & palladium. I have paired down my cameras to one 11 x 14 with an 8 x 10 reducing back and a 5 x7 camera. Sold all medium formats and 35mm. This is definitely not a street photographers setup. The camera weighs 30 lbs with out a lens or the wooden film holders or tripod. I usually have three 11 x 14 film holders loaded for a day which is six shots. The 5 x 7 I will load 6 holders and go at it. That is my easy go anywhere camera. I love the darkroom time in solitude and darkness.
    Collecting and studying art
    Equestrian sports, not as daring and fast anymore.
    Sculpting in different mediums.
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NibsForScript For This Useful Post:

Deb (September 11th, 2018), dfo (September 11th, 2018), FredRydr (September 11th, 2018), Rapidray (September 11th, 2018)

Thanks

Tell me you built the camera from cigar boxes....

Thanks

LOL! Nope it is a Wisner. I bought it barely used years ago and it is well used now. I think it is my favorite possession.

Thanks

The brewing and drinking of coffee and tea.

Scotch and other whiskeys.

I'm fascinated by mythology and folklore.

I used to brew beer, but now only make mead.

I'm also an avid gamer in a narrow set of games. Game theory doesn't apply well to me. I play the same games over and over again with nearly the same intensity as the first time.

Edit to add: my work in pain management also has lead me to have a fascination with neuroscience. Not sure if that counts as an interest, but muscles, nerves, brain chemicals, and how they all interact is amazing to me.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Rapidray (September 11th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NibsForScript View Post
    Big cameras, sheet film, printing in platinum & palladium. I have paired down my cameras to one 11 x 14 with an 8 x 10 reducing back and a 5 x7 camera. Sold all medium formats and 35mm. This is definitely not a street photographers setup. The camera weighs 30 lbs with out a lens or the wooden film holders or tripod. I usually have three 11 x 14 film holders loaded for a day which is six shots. The 5 x 7 I will load 6 holders and go at it. That is my easy go anywhere camera. I love the darkroom time in solitude and darkness.
    Collecting and studying art
    Equestrian sports, not as daring and fast anymore.
    Sculpting in different mediums.
    11x14 with a 8x10 back...wow and awesome.
    A true outdoor setup. You didn’t build a platform on the top of your vehicle have you?
    5x7 was the biggest I went as limited by money. Always wanted a Mamiya 7 but they just never seemed to come down in price.
    I love your necklace and you using it as your avatar...very cool. I take it you like octopus.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Rapidray; September 11th, 2018 at 03:15 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Rapidray For This Useful Post:

NibsForScript (September 11th, 2018)

Thanks

LOL.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Rapidray For This Useful Post:

NibsForScript (September 11th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post

I'm also an avid gamer in a narrow set of games. Game theory doesn't apply well to me. I play the same games over and over again with nearly the same intensity as the first time.

Edit to add: my work in pain management also has lead me to have a fascination with neuroscience. Not sure if that counts as an interest, but muscles, nerves, brain chemicals, and how they all interact is amazing to me.
    I don’t drink so I did have to google “mead”. Interesting I didn’t know that.
    Avid gamer in a narrow set of games...with me it was Halo.
    Neuroscience - sorry but that is a interest, so welcome!
    Thanks for sharing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post

I don’t drink so I did have to google “mead”. Interesting I didn’t know that.
    Avid gamer in a narrow set of games...with me it was Halo.
    Neuroscience - sorry but that is a interest, so welcome!
    Thanks for sharing.
    My annual gaming rotation/obsession revolves around the Mass Effect trilogy, the Dragon Age trilogy, Skyrim, and the Fallout games. Might throw in another one here and there, but those are the ones I have definitely played the most.