Thread: Entry into the Montblanc Pool

Thanks

Default Entry into the Montblanc Pool

I want to dip my toes into the Montblanc pool for the first time. Not the fountain pen pool (yet), but the ballpoint/rollerball pool. My inquiry has two parts. First, I would like some suggestions as to which pen(s) I should get. The pens that are at the top of my list are the LeGrand ballpoint, Starwalker Midnight fineliner and M Ultra Black ballpoint. (My ideal would probably be the JFK special edition, but the price is too high for me.) The classique is out as I think it is just too narrow for my taste. I like pens with a little more girth. My favorite fountain pen is a Pilot Custom 823. I also like the feel of my Lamy 2k and Karas Kustoms Ink. So that gives you an idea of the size of pen that fits good in my hand. So which of the Montblancs would you recommend based on that?

Secondly, I would like to try the used market. I'm not a collector. I'm looking for a daily writer. I would like a more affordable entry to the Monblanc pool than paying full retail. Maybe I can get both a ballpoint and rollerball if I go the used route. I'm a little leery of eBay as I don't know enough to spot a fake. Are there any reputable eBay dealers you can recommend? Anyone on here have a used variety of the pens on my list?

I appreciate any recommendations. Thanks for your time.

Thanks

Default Re: Entry into the Montblanc Pool

Funny, I have all three of those except my M is not ultra black.

You know which one I use the most?

My classified ballpoint.

The legend is great but it is real think and heavy when I clip it to a shirt.

Fineliner is good, but not as fine as I’d like.

M is nice, but I find the grip uncomfortable after prolonged use.

You say you like more girth, so perhaps the legrand is for you.

As far as where to buy, I like buying secondhand from this and other forums. I have ordered a few from jomashop and a couple from eBay.

Had one fake from eBay once but got my money back quickly.

I also bouGht from Costco once.

My collection is up to 10+ at this point. I’m a MB fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

One more thing, don’t be too concerned with box and papers. All they do is take up space.

If you want to authenticate a pen, take it to a boutique and ask. I’ve done this before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Your Lamy 2000 and Pilot Custom 823 are about the same girth as the Montblanc Classic Ballpoint. I think you only need the Le Grand ballpoint to go with a 149 FP.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC is a reputable fountain pen store (Neil deGrasse Tyson buys FP's there) and it has a "back room" that offers used Montblanc pens.

Bertram's Inkwell is another reputable dealer, and they have an eBay store.

Both are straight shooters and I have been pleased with the used Montblanc 144 and 146 I bought from them. If you do buy a Montblanc rollerball, keep an eye on the expiration dates on the refills. After the exp date the refills dry up.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

Thanks

An MB ballpoint is going to write like other ballpoints. It will just have the MB branding on it. I write with MB fountain pens all the time — they’re great — but my everyday ballpoints are Caran d’Ache or Pilot.
    (I also have a few Parkers and Pelikans that came with fountain pens that sit around and collect dust). I figure if i’m going to spend the money, i should get something i’ll enjoy using. A ballpoint is not that.

All this is a way of saying the ballpoints are no substitute for the fountain pens, especially if you’re a regular fp user. If you’re mostly a ballpoint user, maybe it makes more sense.