Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34

Thread: New Phileas

  1. #21
    Senior Member stub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Seoul, Korea
    Posts
    1,009
    Thanks
    213
    Thanked 716 Times in 369 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: New Phileas

    Price was roughly equivalent to $28 USD

  2. #22
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,547
    Thanks
    4,774
    Thanked 6,920 Times in 2,551 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: New Phileas

    Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    Price was roughly equivalent to $28 USD
    Well, that's the kicker. It seems *so* easy to make things out of 'pretty' plastics and patterns that it is unfortunate these seem to be mono-color pens. That said, $28 is an awfully good price point for a pen that works as well as a Phileas. I'm guessing there is no brass insert in the pen, which will make it feel lighter (and cheaper) and truly put it in the Kultur category, but at least they didn't totally overprice it.

    OTOH, I just took posession of a fairly minty original Phil with box and convertor for $45. I think that's fair.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  3. #23
    Senior Member stub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Seoul, Korea
    Posts
    1,009
    Thanks
    213
    Thanked 716 Times in 369 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: New Phileas

    Of course this much like a Kulture & makes me wonder if New Phileas is really a culture called something different for the local market. But I have not seen either pen in these colors before.

    I would love to get an original Phileas but have never seen one at an agreeable price.

  4. #24
    Senior Member stub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Seoul, Korea
    Posts
    1,009
    Thanks
    213
    Thanked 716 Times in 369 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: New Phileas

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    Price was roughly equivalent to $28 USD
    Well, that's the kicker. It seems *so* easy to make things out of 'pretty' plastics and patterns that it is unfortunate these seem to be mono-color pens. That said, $28 is an awfully good price point for a pen that works as well as a Phileas. I'm guessing there is no brass insert.
    No brass on this one. The price also included a waterman converter. So it was a nice price for a pen that writes fantastic and has a hinged clip. Great value imo.

  5. #25
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    5,320
    Thanks
    2,451
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 1,697 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: New Phileas

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    Price was roughly equivalent to $28 USD
    Well, that's the kicker. It seems *so* easy to make things out of 'pretty' plastics and patterns that it is unfortunate these seem to be mono-color pens. That said, $28 is an awfully good price point for a pen that works as well as a Phileas. I'm guessing there is no brass insert in the pen, which will make it feel lighter (and cheaper) and truly put it in the Kultur category, but at least they didn't totally overprice it.

    OTOH, I just took posession of a fairly minty original Phil with box and convertor for $45. I think that's fair.
    I think that's fair too. You're very fortunate to get these deals. First, Montblanc Racing Green ink, now a very nice Phileas.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  6. #26
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    5,320
    Thanks
    2,451
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 1,697 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: New Phileas

    Quote Originally Posted by RocketRyan View Post
    How did you get on with the purple one?
    Sorry RocketRyan I missed this post. The purple Phileas writes very nicely thank you. It has had it's nib and feed out plus a 10 minute cycle through the USC, and is currently in my box with my other Phileas pens. I should take a pic.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  7. #27
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,547
    Thanks
    4,774
    Thanked 6,920 Times in 2,551 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: New Phileas

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I think that's fair too. You're very fortunate to get these deals. First, Montblanc Racing Green ink, now a very nice Phileas.
    Not to mention the flawless Pelikan M200 marbled blue, in advance of the Hubs, for $35.00. Now, that was a sumgai.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  8. #28
    Senior Member RocketRyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Surrey UK
    Posts
    757
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 215 Times in 157 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: New Phileas

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketRyan View Post
    How did you get on with the purple one?
    Sorry RocketRyan I missed this post. The purple Phileas writes very nicely thank you. It has had it's nib and feed out plus a 10 minute cycle through the USC, and is currently in my box with my other Phileas pens. I should take a pic.
    Glad you like it, it just did little for me. I traded it for a Sheaffer prelude because I bought one with a 14k nib, the signature model, unfortunately the steel nib version wrote better. We live and learn.

  9. #29
    Senior Member stub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Seoul, Korea
    Posts
    1,009
    Thanks
    213
    Thanked 716 Times in 369 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: New Phileas

    I am ready to admit that I was 100% and misled on this. The "New Phileas" sticker on my box must just be a idiosyncrasy of the Korean market. These are just Kulture and they are simply new to me and looks like I was too excited for something that truly was too good to be true. I think these are Safari killers. Great pens but sadly I seen no other signs that these have been re-issued.

    I would still really like to find an original to add to this Kulture/New Phileas.

    Sorry if this thread leads anyone astray or gives false hope,

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    San Marino
    Posts
    63
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: New Phileas

    For all we know, Waterman might very well being still producing and selling the Phileas (called Translucent) and the Graduate both chromed and painted (simply called Allure and Chromé) along with Parker Vector and the excellent Bic Easy Clic: attached picture is from a French supermarket, taken October 2018.



    Maybe it's for domestic market only?

    Photo by Iorek of fountainpen.it

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to aquafox For This Useful Post:

    Marsilius (November 11th, 2018)

  12. #31
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    5,320
    Thanks
    2,451
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 1,697 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: New Phileas

    I always thought that difference was the Kultur was chrome plated and came with a monochrome chrome plated nib, whereas the Phileas was gold plated and had a two-tone nib. Although it's always possible there is a gold plated Kultur or a chrome plated Phileas that I haven't seen.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  13. #32
    Senior Member pajaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,049
    Thanks
    353
    Thanked 398 Times in 282 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: New Phileas

    Waterman could use a revitalization.

  14. #33
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,547
    Thanks
    4,774
    Thanked 6,920 Times in 2,551 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: New Phileas

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I always thought that difference was the Kultur was chrome plated and came with a monochrome chrome plated nib, whereas the Phileas was gold plated and had a two-tone nib. Although it's always possible there is a gold plated Kultur or a chrome plated Phileas that I haven't seen.
    Another very important difference (IMO) is that the Phileas had a brass liner in the barrel, which adds some heft to an otherwise very light pen. I do not have a Kultur pen to weigh, but if anyone can weight the barrel/nib/section alone (no cart/conv attached), I can do the same with an original Phileas and we'll see if it is an important difference or all in my head! (IMH)
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  15. #34
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    5,320
    Thanks
    2,451
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 1,697 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: New Phileas

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

    Another very important difference (IMO) is that the Phileas had a brass liner in the barrel, which adds some heft to an otherwise very light pen. I do not have a Kultur pen to weigh, but if anyone can weight the barrel/nib/section alone (no cart/conv attached), I can do the same with an original Phileas and we'll see if it is an important difference or all in my head! (IMH)
    I'm sure that's right and I have a section and two different barrels (Phileas and Kultur) that I can weigh later. I only considered cosmetic looking differences that could show up immediately when looking at pictures of the different models.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •