Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Phileas

Thanks

Default New Phileas

This is just a heads up because I know there are some people who are fans of this pen. I've watched as prices on Phileas pens kind of get silly but it seems Waterman has smelled the coffee (or I, alternately have been asleep) and reissued a simplified Phileas without the gaudy (but charming) hardware. My local B & M had a new arrival labelled "New Phileas" which comes with a single toned nib solid barrel colors and transparent section. It comes in black, navy, burgundy, and a lighter blue. Looks eyedropper-able. Nib is just as fantastic as the old one and looks the same. Same funky clip.

I am not sure if this is just new to our part of the little blue marble or is everywhere or was released in other places.

Eats the other pens in its class for lunch. Anyone else see these or is this old news?

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (September 3rd, 2020), amk (September 15th, 2018), jmccarty3 (September 7th, 2018), Jon Szanto (September 7th, 2018), pajaro (September 1st, 2020), TFarnon (September 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: New Phileas

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (September 3rd, 2020), jmccarty3 (September 7th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Nice. Looks a bit more like a Kultur than a Phileas though. I wonder if the sections are interchangeable?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

It looks like a kulture but the box itself is labled "New Phileas" on the Waterman applied box sticker, so I am a bit confused. I see no mention of a "new" Phileas anywhere but I also don't see these colors anywhere when I search for Kulture. My hunch is that this is a fresh reboot from Waterman that is so minty fres that it hasn't hit the sites yet. The B & M told me that they were brand new (and he has some older semi-translucent ones he showed me last time). He knows I like these pen and have been looking for a Philease and he just took out the box and said, "you'll like these, they are brand new"

The sticker on the box is from Waterman. So ...

Anyway. These suckers write like the wind. Super fun cheapy pens.

Thanks

An interesting sidelight is that the Phileas nib is the steel version of the 18k nib that adorned the L'Etalon, one of the finest nibs Waterman ever made. Would that they would reintroduce the L'Etalon, but in a more durable version.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmccarty3 For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (September 3rd, 2020), amk (November 10th, 2018), welch (September 20th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmccarty3 View Post
    An interesting sidelight is that the Phileas nib is the steel version of the 18k nib that adorned the L'Etalon, one of the finest nibs Waterman ever made. Would that they would reintroduce the L'Etalon, but in a more durable version.
    For this reason four of my Phileas pens have L'Etalon nibs in them. They are relatively straightforward to swap over if you can get the gold Etalon nibs.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (September 3rd, 2020), jmccarty3 (September 7th, 2018), Jon Szanto (September 7th, 2018), pajaro (September 8th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jmccarty3 View Post
    For this reason four of my Phileas pens have L'Etalon nibs in them. They are relatively straightforward to swap over if you can get the gold Etalon nibs.
    I second this recommendation. I have only one L'etalon nib, an extra fine, in a turquoise marbly Phileas. It is a bit different from the usual Phileas experience. In this light weight pen, it is a delightful experience.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

jmccarty3 (September 8th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    I second this recommendation. I have only one L'etalon nib, an extra fine, in a turquoise marbly Phileas. It is a bit different from the usual Phileas experience. In this light weight pen, it is a delightful experience.
    I occasionally find myself wondering what will happen when I shuffle off this mortal coil and my Phileas pens appear on ebay with gold nibs in them. No-one will believe what they see......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    I occasionally find myself wondering what will happen when I shuffle off this mortal coil and my Phileas pens appear on ebay with gold nibs in them. No-one will believe what they see......
    How did you get on with the purple one?

Thanks

To return to the original topic, has anyone else seen the "New Phileas?"

Thanks

1. Was the l'etalon not durable? I have a lot of Watermans from the 80s and 90s that did not age well.

2. I'll try to remember to photograph the box with the stickers for this pen.

3. How in gods name did y'all get the Phileas nib out? I have never been able to pull one. If the are friction fit then they are in there really good and tight. I tried, to no avail to pull this one but nope.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    3. How in gods name did y'all get the Phileas nib out? I have never been able to pull one. If the are friction fit then they are in there really good and tight. I tried, to no avail to pull this one but nope.
    A friend of mine (username: Force, on FPN) had a post a couple years ago on his method. I think the tools were a vicegrips, some rubber grip sheets (for padding and grip) a metal washer and 2 flat blade screwdrivers. You are essentially using all this to 'lever' out the nib and feed since you can't use a knockout block on this section design. You can find the post here as long as you can log into FPN. If you can't, let me know and I'll find an alternate way to post the info. Bedtime for me, however.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (November 10th, 2018)

Thanks

And that's after some heat to the section either in a USC or by wrapping the nib up then using a hair dryer to warm the section enough that the nib and feed will pull out.

With the method that Force recommended you have to be sure not to "waggle" it back and forth too much as the end of the section might split up the mould lines. You also have to wrap the nib with plenty of padding on the nib and the feed.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (September 9th, 2018)

Thanks

Sorry for going off topic jmcarty3, I haven't seen these new Phileas pens anywhere in the UK.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

The appearance of the new 'Phileas' doesn't appeal to me. I have two of the originals, a plain black Fine and a blue marble Medium, and it was all the little phinishing details that pleased my eye.

I do have a Kultur. It's never written as nicely as the Phileas.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    1. Was the l'etalon not durable? I have a lot of Watermans from the 80s and 90s that did not age well.
    I have several L'Etalons. The metal piece at the tail had a tendency to come off, but (much worse) the feed and/or section tended to develop cracks, leading to leaking. Replacement parts are hard to come by. It's a shame, because the nib is so excellent. I loved the EF nib on my first L'Etalon--it had just a hint of Architect about it: narrow vertical stroke, slightly wider horizontal stroke. Unfortunately, I dropped the pen and bent the nib. A nibmeister repaired it, but it never wrote the same as before.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmccarty3 For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (September 9th, 2018), stub (September 9th, 2018)

Thanks

I haven't had any trouble pulling the nib on a Phileas or on a Kultur. I just used a rubber jar gripping pad and gently rocked the nib while pulling. Chrissy's warning about not rocking too vigorously lest you crack the section should be borne in mind. Phileas sections cracked easily.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

I can't seem to find anything about these pens online whatsoever. Does anyone know the MSRP for them?
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I found nothing about them either. IMHO, the new Phileas looks much more like the Kultur than the original Phileas.

Without wandering too much off topic again I can confirm that in the event your Phileas section cracks, it's usually cheaper to buy a replacement by buying a Kultur pen if you can get one with a black section. Unless you really quite fancy a Phileas with a demonstrator section that is.

Even though the Kultur section has a chrome band rather than the regular gold-plated Phileas band, it's fairly straight-forward to swap the bands over, although they are quite tight too. Not as tight as new nibs are in new sections though.

Once you've removed the nib and feed from a section, it seems easier to do in the event that you ever need to remove it again.

Some are really tough. In my USC I have a mixture of soapy cleaner and ammonia. Giving a section a run in there with water that gets quite warm seems to help a lot. The soapy cleaner seems to lubricate the whole thing so that the nib and feed come out more easily.
    Last edited by Chrissy; September 12th, 2018 at 09:06 PM.

Thanks

Here is the box. But just realized that this is all in Korean. & of course you know that one of the wierd things about Pen dealers is that they choose and pay for their own packaging. Koreans like boxes and (4 or 5 retailers have all told me) that pens w/o boxes do not sell. But this also came with a Waterman warrentee card and a printed folded up manual.

So here i am giving you lots of information. None of it useful. If this pen starts showing up elsewhere then mystery solved. But it seem to be sub-google and I have not heard any reports of this pen elsewhere. The pen is marked New Phileas. On the plus side. It writes like a champ. It's better than most of the other pens in it's class.

20180912_223726.jpg