Thanks

Default Re: New Phileas

Price was roughly equivalent to $28 USD

Thanks
    Thanked 11,040 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    Well, that's the kicker. It seems *so* easy to make things out of 'pretty' plastics and patterns that it is unfortunate these seem to be mono-color pens. That said, $28 is an awfully good price point for a pen that works as well as a Phileas. I'm guessing there is no brass insert in the pen, which will make it feel lighter (and cheaper) and truly put it in the Kultur category, but at least they didn't totally overprice it.

OTOH, I just took posession of a fairly minty original Phil with box and convertor for $45. I think that's fair.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Of course this much like a Kulture & makes me wonder if New Phileas is really a culture called something different for the local market. But I have not seen either pen in these colors before.

I would love to get an original Phileas but have never seen one at an agreeable price.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Well, that's the kicker. It seems *so* easy to make things out of 'pretty' plastics and patterns that it is unfortunate these seem to be mono-color pens. That said, $28 is an awfully good price point for a pen that works as well as a Phileas. I'm guessing there is no brass insert.
    No brass on this one. The price also included a waterman converter. So it was a nice price for a pen that writes fantastic and has a hinged clip. Great value imo.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Well, that's the kicker. It seems *so* easy to make things out of 'pretty' plastics and patterns that it is unfortunate these seem to be mono-color pens. That said, $28 is an awfully good price point for a pen that works as well as a Phileas. I'm guessing there is no brass insert in the pen, which will make it feel lighter (and cheaper) and truly put it in the Kultur category, but at least they didn't totally overprice it.

OTOH, I just took posession of a fairly minty original Phil with box and convertor for $45. I think that's fair.
    I think that's fair too. You're very fortunate to get these deals. First, Montblanc Racing Green ink, now a very nice Phileas.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRyan View Post
    How did you get on with the purple one?
    Sorry RocketRyan I missed this post. The purple Phileas writes very nicely thank you. It has had it's nib and feed out plus a 10 minute cycle through the USC, and is currently in my box with my other Phileas pens. I should take a pic.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I think that's fair too. You're very fortunate to get these deals. First, Montblanc Racing Green ink, now a very nice Phileas.
    Not to mention the flawless Pelikan M200 marbled blue, in advance of the Hubs, for $35.00. Now, that was a sumgai.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRyan View Post
    How did you get on with the purple one?
    Sorry RocketRyan I missed this post. The purple Phileas writes very nicely thank you. It has had it's nib and feed out plus a 10 minute cycle through the USC, and is currently in my box with my other Phileas pens. I should take a pic.
    Glad you like it, it just did little for me. I traded it for a Sheaffer prelude because I bought one with a 14k nib, the signature model, unfortunately the steel nib version wrote better. We live and learn.

Thanks

I am ready to admit that I was 100% and misled on this. The "New Phileas" sticker on my box must just be a idiosyncrasy of the Korean market. These are just Kulture and they are simply new to me and looks like I was too excited for something that truly was too good to be true. I think these are Safari killers. Great pens but sadly I seen no other signs that these have been re-issued.

I would still really like to find an original to add to this Kulture/New Phileas.

Sorry if this thread leads anyone astray or gives false hope,

Thanks

For all we know, Waterman might very well being still producing and selling the Phileas (called Translucent) and the Graduate both chromed and painted (simply called Allure and Chromé) along with Parker Vector and the excellent Bic Easy Clic: attached picture is from a French supermarket, taken October 2018.

Maybe it's for domestic market only?

Photo by Iorek of fountainpen.it

11. The Following User Says Thank You to aquafox For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (November 11th, 2018)

Thanks

I always thought that difference was the Kultur was chrome plated and came with a monochrome chrome plated nib, whereas the Phileas was gold plated and had a two-tone nib. Although it's always possible there is a gold plated Kultur or a chrome plated Phileas that I haven't seen.

Thanks

Waterman could use a revitalization.

Thanks

I always thought that difference was the Kultur was chrome plated and came with a monochrome chrome plated nib, whereas the Phileas was gold plated and had a two-tone nib. Although it's always possible there is a gold plated Kultur or a chrome plated Phileas that I haven't seen.
    Another very important difference (IMO) is that the Phileas had a brass liner in the barrel, which adds some heft to an otherwise very light pen. I do not have a Kultur pen to weigh, but if anyone can weight the barrel/nib/section alone (no cart/conv attached), I can do the same with an original Phileas and we'll see if it is an important difference or all in my head! (IMH)

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Another very important difference (IMO) is that the Phileas had a brass liner in the barrel, which adds some heft to an otherwise very light pen. I do not have a Kultur pen to weigh, but if anyone can weight the barrel/nib/section alone (no cart/conv attached), I can do the same with an original Phileas and we'll see if it is an important difference or all in my head! (IMH)
    I'm sure that's right and I have a section and two different barrels (Phileas and Kultur) that I can weigh later. I only considered cosmetic looking differences that could show up immediately when looking at pictures of the different models.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmccarty3 View Post
    An interesting sidelight is that the Phileas nib is the steel version of the 18k nib that adorned the L'Etalon, one of the finest nibs Waterman ever made. Would that they would reintroduce the L'Etalon, but in a more durable version.
    For this reason four of my Phileas pens have L'Etalon nibs in them. They are relatively straightforward to swap over if you can get the gold Etalon nibs.
    I recently won two Phileas pens and I am waiting for the delivery. I also have a Gold nib and I am not sure it is "Etalon" I am going to check it anyhow.
    These two pens are very old and say< made in France > So I thought they are getting into vintage catogory.

Thanks

L'Etalon nib is a slightly larger version than the Preface nib. It's the only Waterman gold nib that will fit the Phileas.
    Waterman produced Phileas pens in the 1990's. Not particularly "vintage" to many.

Thanks

My new Watermans. Phileas Red marbled and Blue. Medium Nibs they are too medium fo me as I am a fine Man..
    They are fantastic writers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

amk (September 19th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    My new Watermans. Phileas Red marbled and Blue. Medium Nibs they are too medium fo me as I am a fine Man..
    They are fantastic writers.
    In the event that you might want a Phileas F nibs instead of the M, that might be something I could help you with. I've removed several of my Phileas nibs and replaced them with Etalon nibs so there may be at least one F nib in that bunch.
    It looks like you may have already fitted your gold Etalon nib into one of your Phileas pens.