Thread: Writing fades while writing

Thanks

Default Writing fades while writing

Howdy,
    Anyone have this problem at all. Fill the M805 w/EF nib, the Pelican way and start to write and after a few words the writing fades. Did this twice after flushing it with tepid water.....

Any ideas?

TIA,
    Lee

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Writing fades while writing

It sounds like there's too much water in the pen from flushing. That is if I understood your post.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

I removed the nib unit and made sure there was no water left behind.
    In any event the pen is on it's way back to the seller and he's deducting his shipping costs from the refund.....I think he's disappointed that it's returning. What a putz.....

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    It sounds like there's too much water in the pen from flushing. That is if I understood your post.

Thanks

The water will be in the feed which is not easily accessible on Pelikans. If you had kept on writing with it it will get darker eventually. What usually happens is that it starts out dark because you're using the ink that's on the nib from dipping it into the ink bottle, but after a while it will start to use what's in the feed and that's why it starts to fade.

Or the nib isn't screwed in properly.

Shame you returned it because it may have been something very simple.
    Last edited by Medieval; September 14th, 2018 at 03:57 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I can't say for sure what's going on but it doesn't sound like anything that you had to return the pen for. Is this your first Pelikan?
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (September 14th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

I'd be disappointed if I were the seller as well. This does not sound like a hardware (pen) error but error in use. All fountain pens retain liquids in various areas and need to be thoroughly dried before re-inking. If you don't, the trapped moisture will often dilulte the ink and appear as you've described. The most common remedy is to flush the pen, shake out as much water as you can (holding the barrel very tightly) and then place the pen, uncapped, nib-down in a glass with some paper toweling at the bottom. Leave overnight (or an hour or two, at least) and the paper will wick the moisture out of the pen. It will be ready for inking.

In a way, taking back this pen might make the seller a peach, not a putz.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (September 14th, 2018), Cyril (September 21st, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I'd be disappointed if I were the seller as well. This does not sound like a hardware (pen) error but error in use. All fountain pens retain liquids in various areas and need to be thoroughly dried before re-inking. If you don't, the trapped moisture will often dilulte the ink and appear as you've described. The most common remedy is to flush the pen, shake out as much water as you can (holding the barrel very tightly) and then place the pen, uncapped, nib-down in a glass with some paper toweling at the bottom. Leave overnight (or an hour or two, at least) and the paper will wick the moisture out of the pen. It will be ready for inking.

This method describes what I do when I clean a pen. I would also be disappointed if I was the seller.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies.....I have another M800 that works perfectly and the second didn't. After flushing the pen twice the problem persisted and then removed the nib unit and completely shook it and put it wrapped in a paper towel for an hour to sry. Then took the body and lightly swabbed the threads of the section and also let it dry for the same amount of time. It still didn't write properly. You say the seller should feel bad. Hah, what about the buyer. Maybe being a southpaw had something to do with it.
    I'm 77 years old and have been using FP's since I was in public school in the '50s. I was even using Pelikan ink.....Thanks again for your comments.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

This method describes what I do when I clean a pen. I would also be disappointed if I was the seller.

Thanks

Where in Nor Cal are you?
    The SF Pen Posse meets in Millbrae, and you could have had one of us take a look at it. It might have been a simple nib adjustment.
    Something to keep in mind for the next time.

I don't know about your other pen, but the EF nibs tend to be more fussy about nib alignment on the paper. Roll the pen a bit, the slit lifts from the paper, and the ink flow stops.
    There were a couple of guys at the SF Pen Show that had a similar problem with their pens. The issue was simply alignment of the nib on the paper, hold the pen correctly and the ink keeps flowing.
    San Francisco Pen Show 2017, August 25-27, 2017, Redwood City, California
    www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks

Living in Vallejo and actually returned to seller. When do you usually meet, I would like to come over!
    Thanks,
    LEE

Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    Where in Nor Cal are you?
    The SF Pen Posse meets in Millbrae, and you could have had one of us take a look at it. It might have been a simple nib adjustment.
    Something to keep in mind for the next time.

I don't know about your other pen, but the EF nibs tend to be more fussy about nib alignment on the paper. Roll the pen a bit, the slit lifts from the paper, and the ink flow stops.
    There were a couple of guys at the SF Pen Show that had a similar problem with their pens. The issue was simply alignment of the nib on the paper, hold the pen correctly and the ink keeps flowing.