Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Would Anyone . . .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Re: Why Would Anyone . . .

For me the answer is part risk management and part philosphy.

To address the risk of lost writings, one must assess the impact of loss of those writings and the likelihood of various threats they face being realized: fire, flood, loss, water damage, etc. And then choose protections for the most impactful and most likely scenarios.

The likelihood of flood deep enough to reach my notebooks is highly unlikely. Fire is in the realm of possible. Spills are highly likely but would only damage some pages. I can take steps to prevent or react to this possibility.

Losing my work bullet journal would suck but isn't the end of the world. If everything burned or flooded my co-workers would forgive me for "losing my brain (notebook)". If the impact would be higher, I would scan the critical pages, use waterproof ink, etc.

Nothing else I am writing, if lost, would be a big deal. Otherwise, sure, I would choose permanent, water resistant ink, scan pages, store safely, etc.

I have been thinking lately, as I contemplate mortality and progeny, how little I knew about my parents' and grandparents' lives. I got only a handful of stories along the way.

I wished I could have known more. If only they had left journals or biographies behind or at least told me more.

In thinking about what to share with my daughter, I came to the conclusion that the story of my life is for me, alone, to experience, from which to derive such things as enjoyment, suffering, and wisdom.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

KKay (September 27th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
    Most of you guys are way too humble. If you don't have lives worth reading about, dammit get them! Twain said to live in such a way that, when you come to die, even the undertaker is sorry.
    Or we aren't so full of ourselves we need to write our exploits down in a way that allows for fabrication.

I find that those most ready to boast of their accomplishments are those who have accomplished the least.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post

Or we aren't so full of ourselves we need to write our exploits down in a way that allows for fabrication.

I find that those most ready to boast of their accomplishments are those who have accomplished the least.

Lying and accomplishment are hardly the measures of literary worth. Some of the most compelling stories I know come from prison inmates -- people not generally known for accomplishment in societal terms. Tragedy, failure and striving are often the most potent aspect of worthy stories.

And to suggest people fill their "journals" with self-aggrandizing lies reveals a deep misunderstanding of that process.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post

Lying and accomplishment are hardly the measures of literary worth. Some of the most compelling stories I know come from prison inmates -- people not generally known for accomplishment in societal terms. Tragedy, failure and striving are often the most potent aspect of worthy stories.

And to suggest people fill their "journals" with self-aggrandizing lies reveals a deep misunderstanding of that process.
    If you are writing a story that is personal and for your eyes only, perhaps the truth will come through. If you are writing with the intent of other people reading it, the details can be skewed. Writing it because you want your future-kin to read it, and writing it in that way, allows for more fudging than if someone happens to be journaling for themselves and intend on keeping it from others.

Misunderstanding the process is writing adventure novels for your children with you as the hero/heroine over writing the agonizing truths and events of your life as a therapeutic outlet.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Morgaine (October 11th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 Times in 4,002 Posts

I agree with you on that point.
    Last edited by Chrissy; September 28th, 2018 at 03:03 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

NibsForScript (September 28th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

I thought this thread was about whether or not it was vitally important to be able to read something you wrote after spilling your drink on it.
    --
    Mike

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (September 28th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    I thought this thread was about whether or not it was vitally important to be able to read something you wrote after spilling your drink on it.
    I believe we are currently in the " . . . " phase of the OP. Or the title. Or something.

Typical thread drift, exacerbated by climate change.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

What if you only use eyedropper pens so you can only write with your beverage? Now, where did I leave my notes written in coca-cola...

Thanks

Iced latte ink in my case.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,518 Posts

...while surrounded by fire.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

AzJon (September 28th, 2018), ethernautrix (September 28th, 2018), Jon Szanto (September 27th, 2018)

Thanks

If you are writing a story that is personal and for your eyes only, perhaps the truth will come through. If you are writing with the intent of other people reading it, the details can be skewed. Writing it because you want your future-kin to read it, and writing it in that way, allows for more fudging than if someone happens to be journaling for themselves and intend on keeping it from others.

Misunderstanding the process is writing adventure novels for your children with you as the hero/heroine over writing the agonizing truths and events of your life as a therapeutic outlet.
    I really don't know why I bother!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Please don't allow one or two rebuttals to your thoughts to dissuade you. I'm typing this to let you know that there were elements in your responses that felt strongly right with at least one person (me). Especially your last statement regarding the misunderstanding of journaling. Some of the most insightful writing I've read was contained in published journals, and it was almost always because it seemed to true to the nature of the author.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (September 28th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Please don't allow one or two rebuttals to your thoughts to dissuade you. I'm typing this to let you know that there were elements in your responses that felt strongly right with at least one person (me). Especially your last statement regarding the misunderstanding of journaling. Some of the most insightful writing I've read was contained in published journals, and it was almost always because it seemed to true to the nature of the author.
    Thanks, Jon.

Thanks

I'm not disagreeing with you, Bill. I'm just saying that, as a definition, I wasn't using "accomplishments" in any particular light. Being "accomplished" by societal standards is highly subjective. To some that means being rich, to others that means helping others, and that is a personal thing. No, the accomplisments I mean, specifically, are just the tasks performed and achieved day to day. I do not mean to imply that journal writing is worthless or that the process is some attempt at intentionally lying. I never said that.

What I take issue with, and this is more towards certain individuals, is the writing down with the intent of future descendants reading about your life. Maybe you decide to gloss over or make less harsh the events of your life to make it fit a better narrative. I've met plenty of people who tell stories about event, where I was also involved, where they make themselves much more of the hero than they really were.

I strongly believe in keeping a journal. Write everything, but don't share it. It is for no one but you. Which, back to the original point of this thread, does not require the use of permanent anything to keep notes. Have a good day and decide a bright, sunny ink is the right choice? Go for it. The journal is for you. Bad day? Use that solemn ink. What you write should only matter to you and no one else. I know writers and poets and doctors and everything in between that keep journals. Not one of them would willingly hand it over for someone else to read. The mere thought of someone else handling let alone reading their journals causes great distress.

I apologize. I forget forums exist on quips, witticisms, and snide off-hand comments. I also apologize for getting fired up over one user making a direct attack on anyone that chooses to use their pens differently than they do and that our lives are are "too humble" to be written or read about, apparently.

Thanks

So, basically, I am a boring, lazy loser who should become a self-aggrandizing liar by telling my children anything about me and an idiot for not using permanent ink for everything. Got it. Glad we cleared that up. Thanks, friends.

I think I am going to go not pour ink on some prairie dogs now.

What a great thread!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Kulprit (September 28th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    So, basically, I am a boring, lazy loser who should become a self-aggrandizing liar by telling my children anything about me and an idiot for not using permanent ink for everything. Got it. Glad we cleared that up. Thanks, friends.

I think I am going to go not pour ink on some prairie dogs now.

What a great thread!
    I believe that is the gist, yes.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

azkid (September 28th, 2018)

Thanks

I have never read any journals about anyone else's life, as I have been too busy living my own. That is what I wish for, for future generations of the Wuddus family. If there's anything I want to tell them, I'll tell them to their face. If they're not around yet, and they never get chance to know me, then I'm not expecting to be relevant to them.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wuddus For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (October 1st, 2018), AzJon (September 28th, 2018), azkid (September 28th, 2018)

Thanks

Everyone matters. It doesn't make you a lying scumbag if you put down your thoughts and feelings for family members and loved ones to consider, no matter how far down the generational chain. Write from your heart and they will appreciate it.

Yes, I'm broadening out beyond just a journal because the motivation of people has been called into question. It needn't be so.

Writing a 'Last Leter' When You Are Healthy

~ Benjamin Franklin

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Morgaine (October 11th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 432 Posts

I LOVE colorful inks. I live a very boring, uninteresting life. I've never saved anyone's life (that I know of), haven't put out any fires, other than the ocassional squabbles at the office, and haven't run or ever will run for a public office. My entries in my journal consist of weather observations (time, date, temperature, wind direction and speed), what I bought at the grocery store, and my daily battles with the ever-present weeds in the front/back yard. Couldn't care less about leaving any writings to posterity, so I choose what inks I like. Whoever is dumb enough to read my journal would probably die from boredom. (Which probably makes a good case for the paper shredder, to save future lives!)

The only time I need water resistance is when taking samples in the field, and then I use a plain old ballpoint pen, blue ink.

All the Best.
    Last edited by junglejim; September 28th, 2018 at 12:30 PM. Reason: spelling

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

AzJon (September 28th, 2018), Morgaine (October 11th, 2018), Wuddus (September 28th, 2018)

Thanks

As my mother's nanny used to say: GEEEZOW PETE !!!!

I keep pitchin' to you guys and you keep missin'. I think you are using a glove with a hole in it. You can make the most mundane, commonplace event worth reading about if you filter the description through your idiolect. It is your idiolect that makes the journal worth reading and is worthy of permanent ink. It is the informal nature of the narrative rather than the stilted formality that your high school English teacher wanted that gives the refreshing read.

I just read some of my own stories and checked them for lies. There aren't any. If you describe an event properly, you don't need hyperbole.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post: