Thread: Giubileo Ginnasio - can anyone tell me more?

Thanks

Default Giubileo Ginnasio - can anyone tell me more?

Hello all!

This is my first post, but I have been a longtime lurker of this forum. I got into fountain pens about 5 years ago and have since built up a small collection. I had originally stayed away from vintage pens because I didn't want to bother with cleaning and repairs. However, recently, I found a good deal on a gold nib beauty from Italy, the Giubileo Ginnasio, and I just couldn't resist. It was (as can be expected) quite a disaster of dried ink and rust-frozen parts inside. I was able to get it apart, and cleaned up really nicely. It is now working and is a truly wonderful pen. I find myself wanting to learn a bit more about the pen's history though, so I was curious if anyone knows (or knows of any resourses) where I might find something. Below is what I have been able to find thus far. Sadly, it isn't too much, and mostly comes from a single Pentrace article - here.

When I started looking for info on Italian fountain pens with the model name "Giubelio", the most relevant model I could find was the "Giubileo 53," which was a pen from the Mondial LUS company. I am to understand that this was released as a direct competitor to the Parker 51, and has an undeniable stylistic similarity. As best I can tell, the "Giubileo Ginnasio" is a later model based on the "Giubileo 53" that probably was made sometime during the mid-50's to late-60's. However, I have not been able to find any info or other images of this specific model, or a range of years where it was manufactured. So any info (or thoughts about other resources I might check) would be appreciated. If I could pin down a more exact year range of manufacture for this model, that would be really cool.

The pen is a syringe-fill design that incorporates the LUS variable flex dial system (images follow). The nib, feed, and ink reservoir are completely separate from the section/barrel and can slide freely inside. Their position can be adjusted by a rotating dial located inside the barrel. This dial telescopes in/out to cause the nib/feed unit to elongate or retract, controlling the length of the nib that is exposed. The more of the nib that is exposed, the more "flex" is allowed because less of the nib is braced against the hood. The nib/feed unit are held in place by friction at the collar and a spring-loaded tension rod at the back of the syringe. According to the Pentrace article, this variable flex system (patented by Mondial LUS), debuted on the "Giubileo 53" but was operated by a dial on the outside of the pen at the back of the barrel. The article goes on to say that other models were released which incorporated this system but notes "...the adjustment scale was moved to the area where barrel and section met: this simplified the construction of the pen, as the whole barrel could now be turned to set the flex, intead of using a dedicated knob..."

However, on this particular model, the entire mechanism is separate from the barrel and is located inside (images follow). The barrel must be removed to make adjustments to the nib (smarter in my opinion since you can't accidentally turn the barrel and mess up the nib position while writing).

The variable flex system wasn't working when I received the pen (the mechanism was rusted together). However, a lot of elbow grease and patience and I was able to get it working again. I was skeptical, but it actually works quite well and allows for a decent amount of flex when fully extended.

The nib is also kind of strange. It is turned upward at the end much more dramatically than most other nibs I have seen (I now assume this is to allow for more flex). At first I thought the nib was bent, however, the times are still nicely aligned and the feed doesn't show any kind of deformation either. After looking around at pictures of the "Giubileo 53," this seems an intentional design feature. In fact, this pen uses the same nib as the 53 (it is inscribed Giubileo 53, 585, 14kt).

Anyone have any ideas on where I might get some more information on the history of this pen? I found some (sparse) info on the "Giubileo 53," but can find absolutely nothing on this model. The Pentrace article states that there were several "school models" released that incorporated the variable flex system, but that these had a steel nib to keep costs down. So I don't think this is one of those. It is an absolute joy to write with. It gives a buttery smooth writing experience and is a quirky, unique, pen. I love it. The construction and attention to detail given to the various design features of this pen is astounding.

Note - the cap jewel was broken and was replaced as a part of this repair/cleaning. The numbers on the flex dial don't seem to properly line up with the dial marker on the section. The dial definitely rotates fully through it's range though, so I am guessing there was some trick to aligning it when it is screwed on that I missed or messed up. I am not too worried though - it works, and that is the important part. Whether or not the completely arbitrary "flex numbers" line up is beside the point. I may fuss with trying to get it to line up more in the future, but for now I am quite happy that it is back together and operational!

The pen (semi-exploded view)

Flex dial

Nib fully extended

Nib fully retracted

Top view assembled

Side view assembled

Capped

Writing and flex sample (not the best, sorry about that).

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xiphius For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (September 24th, 2018), catbert (September 24th, 2018), countrydirt (September 24th, 2018), penstaking (October 13th, 2018), penwash (September 24th, 2018), Robert (September 24th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,806 Times in 1,156 Posts

Default Re: Giubileo Ginnasio - can anyone tell me more?

I've accumulated a few variants of the Giubileo 53 but never seen one with the adjustment mechanism hidden inside the barrel. It seems LUS was not big on standardization. Thanks for sharing!

The only other sources I’ve seen in English are this article on Pentrace about Legnani and LUS generally and an article in Penna Vintage magazine about the Giubileo 53 mentioned here. If you can read Italian (or, like me, can struggle through with Google Translate), there are some threads on pennamania.it, such as this one.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

penstaking (October 13th, 2018), xiphius (September 25th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Fascinating brand. Never heard of it. Thank you for sharing.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    I've accumulated a few variants of the Giubileo 53 but never seen one with the adjustment mechanism hidden inside the barrel. It seems LUS was not big on standardization. Thanks for sharing!

The only other sources I’ve seen in English are this article on Pentrace about Legnani and LUS generally and an article in Penna Vintage magazine about the Giubileo 53 mentioned here. If you can read Italian (or, like me, can struggle through with Google Translate), there are some threads on pennamania.it, such as this one.
    Thanks catbert! Yeah, I too thought it was weird. I haven't been able to find a single reference or image of another pen with the same (or even similar) setup. If others like this are floating around out there, then it would appear that no one online has talked about them. From the article though, it seems like Legnani was an innovator that was interested in playing around with many different designs and probably has a bunch of variations on the basic concept. I am of Italian descent (one of the reasons I caved and bought this pen in the first place), but I only know very scattered words and phrases. Luckily, I too can use Google translate :P. Apparently, "ginnasio" means "gymnasium" ...which is why I originally thought this might be one of the "school models" mentioned in the Pentrace article I linked. However, the fact that it has a solid gold nib would seem to argue against that unless it was a higher-end model, or else someone grew up and replaced the nib with a higher quality one later on.

I hadn't run across the general article about Legnani. Very interesting stuff with wonderful old photographs! Thanks for sending it my way. Sadly, I haven't been able to access the Penna Vintage article. That link is broken. I tried using archive.org to retrieve it, but there is a problem since it is an old link that required Adobe Flash Player, and it appears to not be compatible with newer versions of Flash Player. If anyone has a copy they downloaded back in the day and would be willing to share, I would appreciate it. I had also run across that thread pennamania.it (mostly for the pictures, but I may go back and try to work through the text as well). Those images were what convinced me that the upward-turned nib was a design feature and not the result of a drop or excessive writing pressure over the years.