Thread: Finally, an Omas with a smooth piston!!

Thanks

Default Finally, an Omas with a smooth piston!!

Omas was known for its fantastic designs and mesmerizing celluloids. See my Omas 360 Lucens Demonstrator below.
    IMG_20180926_193347.jpgIMG_20180926_193333.jpg

Luckily, mine is one of the few that haven't succumbed to crystallization or "purpling" of the blue material.

When it came to me, it had the tightest piston I've ever felt. As I fiddled with it, I realized who I had to send it to: Francis Goosens, a retired engineer - turned master pen restorer.

As we discovered, the celluloid had actually shrunk, as is common with "under-baked" celluloid. Francis had to widen the bore and modify the piston rods in order to make the piston work. It is now better than factory original!! Omas should have had someone like Francis as their designer...

For the complexity of the work and high risk of damage , he charged a very fair price.

I would highly recommend him for any repair, or even just a nib tuning. In my opinion, one of the best nibmeisters, even though he doesn't claim to be one.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisC For This Useful Post:

Watchman64 (September 30th, 2018)

Thanks

Default Re: Finally, an Omas with a smooth piston!!

That is s beautiful pen. I have one just like it except with gold trim. I have not inked it yet. Need to see if I have any shrinkage issue with the pen. If it needs any repairs, I will look up Francis Goosens. Maybe you can share his contact information with me.

Thanks

This is the first time I've seen that celluloid and it's stunning. I can appreciate the reasons why celluloid isn't used in modern pens but we're definitely worse off without the material.

I have a couple other Omas celluloid pens who's pistons could be better and I'm been pretending the problem isn't shrinking material, which is a lot harder to fix than just lubricating the barrel.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mulrich View Post
    I can appreciate the reasons why celluloid isn't used in modern pens but we're definitely worse off without the material.
    It’s still being used in modern pens, though far less often since the advent of modern, more advantageous thermoplastics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Omas was known for its fantastic designs and mesmerizing celluloids. See my Omas 360 Lucens Demonstrator below.
    IMG_20180926_193347.jpgIMG_20180926_193333.jpg

Luckily, mine is one of the few that haven't succumbed to crystallization or "purpling" of the blue material.

When it came to me, it had the tightest piston I've ever felt. As I fiddled with it, I realized who I had to send it to: Francis Goosens, a retired engineer - turned master pen restorer.

As we discovered, the celluloid had actually shrunk, as is common with "under-baked" celluloid. Francis had to widen the bore and modify the piston rods in order to make the piston work. It is now better than factory original!! Omas should have had someone like Francis as their designer...

For the complexity of the work and high risk of damage , he charged a very fair price.

I would highly recommend him for any repair, or even just a nib tuning. In my opinion, one of the best nibmeisters, even though he doesn't claim to be one.
    So, how come you have listed it for sale on another pen forum?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    To be honest with you, there is nothing to stop him advertising it for sale somewhere else if he wants to. It's allowed.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    To be honest with you, there is nothing to stop him advertising it for sale somewhere else if he wants to. It's allowed.
    Sorry if you thought I was implying the OP did something wrong. Of course there is no rule prohibiting him from his doing so. I was just wondering why he was selling it.
    From his description it sounded like he had, at long last, found an Omas FP which satisfied his desire for a smoother piston. It seemed a tad odd (at least to me) he would post about his apparent, new found "grail" here and then offer it for sale elsewhere.

Thanks

724Seney
    So, how come you have listed it for sale on another pen forum?[/QUOTE]

He is the seller/merchant
    {E} Commerce is the market
    Transaction he is selling............
    What problemo?
    Let us meet up at Speedy Romeo in Brooklyn for some Paul's Boutique Pizza..with a side of Steak Tartare Crostini.......{freakin happysmileyfacetimethingie}
    Fred
    ....The Lion Sleeps Tonight....The Tokens...........

Thanks

Simple answer to the reason for selling is that my collection is much more focused on pre 1970 German pens from the big 3, Soennecken, Montblanc, and Pelikan.

Ohio Pen show is coming up, and both Rick Propas and Osman Sumer will be there. They specialize in what I love most, so I have to clear this one out first.