Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your next pen? Why that pen?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Default Re: Your next pen? Why that pen?

Happy birthday, calamus! Sto lat [100 years]!

About a week ago, I received a Pilot CH 92 with a fine nib (bought from fpgeeker Zhivago (recommend!)), and I the nib is superb. And the pen itself surprised me. I prefer it over the 912, but I love the 912 for the PO nib.

My mother's sole nice fountain pen is a Pilot 74. She loves it. She looks at me with my pens and says, "I have one pen! I want only one!" And if it's handy, she'll hold it up. "It's a Pilot!"

Pilot has quickly sneaked into my most favorite Favorites.

Enjoy your day!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    Happy birthday, calamus! Sto lat [100 years]!

About a week ago, I received a Pilot CH 92 with a fine nib (bought from fpgeeker Zhivago (recommend!)), and I the nib is superb. And the pen itself surprised me. I prefer it over the 912, but I love the 912 for the PO nib.

My mother's sole nice fountain pen is a Pilot 74. She loves it. She looks at me with my pens and says, "I have one pen! I want only one!" And if it's handy, she'll hold it up. "It's a Pilot!"

Pilot has quickly sneaked into my most favorite Favorites.

Enjoy your day!
    thankyoufeatherpen.gif so much!!

I pulled the trigger on the Pilot and it's on its way from Japan. I got the green one.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 8th, 2018), VertOlive (October 11th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Happy bday calamus!

So my next pen is officially a Skyline in gold cap / black body. I won the auction.

I do kind of like buying from eBay but it is too much of a gamble for expensive old pens. I got the Skyline at a price point where if it has a major issue I won't be too depressed (like I am about the Osmia with a shot nib) for too long.

I decided to hold off on the Falcon for now. That price point gives me serious pause at this stage. I'm reconsidering a Heritage 91 in SF instead. A lot of the same things I like about the falcon at almost half the price.

Thanks

Temptation exists. Just today, I began wondering which 'new' vintage pen I should buy - a Conway Stewart, a Burnham, or a Wyvern. Or all three.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

Hawk (October 10th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    Temptation exists. Just today, I began wondering which 'new' vintage pen I should buy - a Conway Stewart, a Burnham, or a Wyvern. Or all three.
    I have a lovely blue crackle Burnham for sale right now, on this very forum. You know, just to whet your temptation.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 9th, 2018)

Thanks

Temptation... pilot 845 or a new broad bock titanium nib unit. Because I want to round out my nib types with something broad and I don’t have any urushi pens.
    Last edited by Bold2013; October 8th, 2018 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks

I'm working on getting one sort of flagship pen from each of the major makers. Next on my list will likely be a 3776 or a 1911. I've currently got a 149, 823, and a 2000. I need to pony up for a M1000 one of these days as well.

I'm not prepared to start collecting limited editions and urushi pens. But I find that the top production pens have pretty much earned their reputations. I haven't been disappointed yet anyway

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bold2013 View Post
    Temptation... pilot 845 or a new broad bock titanium nib unit. Because I want to round out my nib types with something broad and I don’t have any urushi pens.
    I gazed longingly at an 845 myself, the vermillion one, but just couldn't justify spending the money. If I ever got an urushi pen, though, that's the one I'd get. And relative to other urushi pens, it's priced very attractively.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Happy bday calamus!

So my next pen is officially a Skyline in gold cap / black body. I won the auction.

I do kind of like buying from eBay but it is too much of a gamble for expensive old pens. I got the Skyline at a price point where if it has a major issue I won't be too depressed (like I am about the Osmia with a shot nib) for too long.

I decided to hold off on the Falcon for now. That price point gives me serious pause at this stage. I'm reconsidering a Heritage 91 in SF instead. A lot of the same things I like about the falcon at almost half the price.
    Thank you, and congratulations. I've had my eye on a Skyline myself, but refuse to buy a flex pen till I can do Copperplate passably well with a dip pen. And then I'd probably want to get a Waterman or a Swan, although I love that art deco look of the Skyline. The cap reminds me of an observatory dome.

Thanks

Happy birthday Calamus. The vermillion is a stunner but harder to come by and substantially more expensive.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Happy birthday Calamus. You have a few years on me yet! And a super nice gift. The last time I saw a green 74 was when Matt Armstrong reviewed the model (ah, here it is: LINKY)

Thanks

I will be taking the first two actuarial exams in November/December. If I pass both of them, I plan to treat myself with a pen worthy of the effort - A Conid Regular Bulkfiller demonstrator with a fine Titanium nib. I feel like it suits my mostly minimalist nature and I like the fact that I can easily swap out nibs. I'm not sure if it will replace everything I have (especially my vintage pens), but I think it'll make a great EDC.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kardisa For This Useful Post:

amk (November 27th, 2018), azkid (October 9th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kardisa View Post
    I will be taking the first two actuarial exams in November/December. If I pass both of them, I plan to treat myself with a pen worthy of the effort - A Conid Regular Bulkfiller demonstrator with a fine Titanium nib. I feel like it suits my mostly minimalist nature and I like the fact that I can easily swap out nibs. I'm not sure if it will replace everything I have (especially my vintage pens), but I think it'll make a great EDC.
    I got to try a titanium nib awhile ago. It was awesome. I already love titanium just in general.

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Thank you, and congratulations. I've had my eye on a Skyline myself, but refuse to buy a flex pen till I can do Copperplate passably well with a dip pen. And then I'd probably want to get a Waterman or a Swan, although I love that art deco look of the Skyline. The cap reminds me of an observatory dome.
    My current plan is Waterman or Swan for flex. Not that important in the big scheme of things. I have my dip pens I can use. I could always get a 19th century dip pen too. I seriously doubt I would ever be able to master calligraphy. Mostly I just like a little line variation to distract from my ugly handwriting

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    I have a lovely blue crackle Burnham for sale right now, on this very forum. You know, just to whet your temptation.
    I'll have a look. Tah.

Thanks

Hopefully, none. I think I’m about to begin purging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kulprit For This Useful Post:

Wuddus (October 20th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bold2013 View Post
    Happy birthday Calamus. The vermillion is a stunner but harder to come by and substantially more expensive.
    Thank you!
    It's certainly harder to come by and more expensive than the black, but most of the urushi pens I've seen for sale have been way higher, Anyway, it's just so gorgeous!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

The one on it's way here from China is a Moonman Wancai. I saw it on the Latest Pen thread and was delighted by it's tiny size and simplicity. An oddity, and I needed the buzz of having a new pen on the way.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

23. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 11th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    My current plan is Waterman or Swan for flex. Not that important in the big scheme of things. I have my dip pens I can use. I could always get a 19th century dip pen too. I seriously doubt I would ever be able to master calligraphy. Mostly I just like a little line variation to distract from my ugly handwriting
    Dear Azkid,

I wish you best luck on your way to flex. Like that I started one year ago with my first Swan, some more in good condition came before I learned how great it is to bring poor pens back to life... And so many great nibs!
    Sure Waterman or Onoto have fine nibs, too...

Best
    Jens
    .................................................. .................................................. .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

25. The Following User Says Thank You to SchaumburgSwan For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 19th, 2018)

Thanks

I've decided, for now, to put my plans for a fancy Pilot on hold.

My current machinations involve obtaining another Montblanc 221 or similar (22, 24, ...). I like mine so much I want another if I can get a deal on one when bidding ends today.

I am also interested in upgrading to a fancier Triumph-nibbed Sheaffer, now that I've gotten my cheaper Skripsert behaving better. The grip and girth are ideal for me and, for whatever reason, I am able to write faster than with other pens without giving up legibility. I just wished it were slightly heavier, though. I would prefer trying a Snorkle to see how I like it versus cartridge, as my experiences with Skrip Black (Slovenian) are not awesome.

Still keeping an eye out for a flex Swan or other flex pen.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

I see that my last pen purchases, a couple of vintage pens that appealed to me, were in January, so I may wait until January of 2019, at least, before buying another. Perhaps longer than that, as I'm enjoying just writing with what I have.

But at some point, I may get another Platinum Century 3776. I already have two, a black one with a fine nib, the other a "Bourgogne" with a medium. I like them both when I'm using them, but they haven't quite reached favorites status.

I thought of sending the fine nibbed one to nibs.com for a flex mod, but now I'm more inclined to buy an entirely new pen from them (probably the Chartres blue) with a fine nib, and have the flex mod done on that when I buy it.

Why that pen? Well, I was looking at Nakayas for a while, but I just can't see paying that much of a premium for prettiness, when, if I'm not mistaken, the cheaper Platinums have the same nibs. And more important, I would like to have one sturdy modern pen that is genuinely a good semi-flex, and also a pen that I like overall. I do have a couple of vintage pens with nibs that are somewhat flexy, but they are mostly fragile appearing ebonite pens that I prefer to use only at home.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton