Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your next pen? Why that pen?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Your next pen? Why that pen?

I am looking at picking up a Pilot Falcon with Soft Fine in black / rhodium. At the most recent Pen Posse, I tried one and was deeply impressed with how nicely it wrote and, conversely, how nicely I was able to write with it. I felt the falcon stood head and shoulders above the majority of other pens I tried. The minimal step down at the section/body is a preference and I enjoy using soft nibs with subtle line variation. Pilot's idea of 'fine' is my ideal line width. I also want to buy myself a nice pen as a birthday present. I don't really need another pen. And I could probably find several other ways to spend the money.

To be fair my next pen could be a Skyline. I have been enamored of the aesthetic of the Eversharp Skyline pen for most of my six months in the hobby. I've never seen, held, or used one. I've been thwarted left and right in my bidding attempts. But I want to see what they are all about. So I have yet another bid in on yet another Skyline, a pen/pencil set, on eBay. I will know tomorrow, but if not I shall remain determined to get a good deal on a Skyline in good shape, ideally semi-flex like ring top.

How about you? Why do you want what you want next?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Re: Your next pen? Why that pen?

It's coincidental but I have been trying to figure out whether to divest myself of a flexible Waterman's 52 in favour of a Pilot Elabo (falcon). Shocked gasps abound, I know. The thing is I have this irrational fear that vintage pens are either fragile or unreliable (seem stable then suddenly spill their guts in your briefcase). In terms of writing characteristics there is no real difference, but the Elabo would likely dispel my fears of breakage. Cost is not a factor in this.

I've had a number of Skylines over the years and given them all away. Super styling to my eyes, but again that fear of fragility is there for me.

Yesterday I wrote a pen wish list. It had three entries.

1. A Sailor Pro Gear with a fine nib - for daily notes in a Hobonichi.
    2. A Pilot Elabo soft fine - for reasons noted above.
    3. A Waterman's 94 in steel quartz - it's my favourite pen that I was stupid enough to sell and now cannot find another (despite my reservations against vintage)

Thanks

I would wholeheartedly recommend the Falcon in metal and I think it's one of the best modern pens. it's pretty, durable, good balance, gives a unique writing experience, and has a reliable nib that writes each and every time. Fair price too.

I think the true flex nibs and even the Pilot FA are not that practical for every day writing. The Elabo is though.

I'm considering a Sailor with a 21k nib because I recently bought a Sailor with a 14k nib and love it to bits, so I want to try the 21k. I don't believe it will provide that much of a different writing experience except where the extra size is concerned, but I just want to try for myself. For science.
    Last edited by Medieval; October 6th, 2018 at 07:55 PM.

Thanks

In thinking about your question, I've inadvertently stumbled (possibly) on why my search seems to have ended.

In reading the OP, the goals were clear, in terms of line, handling, and aesthetics. There's a gravitation "towards" key characteristics. In contrast, the steps in my brief exploration, were predominantly "away from" rather than "towards". The first was away from a stepped transition, the second was away from a pen that tells me where my fingers should go, all the time keeping away from spending lots of money until I knew what I wanted, and things that might need repairing. I didn't so much as happen upon my perfect pens, as ones that didn't frustrate me or give me something to avoid next time ... and that was enough.

Next, if there is a next, would have to be something that I think I would reach for more than my current go to pens. I have no idea why I would reach for something else, and so have absolutely idea what to look for... so I haven't bothered

Thanks

M405 White Tortoise B nib.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 3,470 Times in 1,739 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    I am looking at picking up a Pilot Falcon with Soft Fine in black / rhodium. At the most recent Pen Posse, I tried one and was deeply impressed with how nicely it wrote and, conversely, how nicely I was able to write with it. I felt the falcon stood head and shoulders above the majority of other pens I tried. The minimal step down at the section/body is a preference and I enjoy using soft nibs with subtle line variation. Pilot's idea of 'fine' is my ideal line width. I also want to buy myself a nice pen as a birthday present. I don't really need another pen. And I could probably find several other ways to spend the money.

To be fair my next pen could be a Skyline. I have been enamored of the aesthetic of the Eversharp Skyline pen for most of my six months in the hobby. I've never seen, held, or used one. I've been thwarted left and right in my bidding attempts. But I want to see what they are all about. So I have yet another bid in on yet another Skyline, a pen/pencil set, on eBay. I will know tomorrow, but if not I shall remain determined to get a good deal on a Skyline in good shape, ideally semi-flex like ring top.

How about you? Why do you want what you want next?
    Actually your two sound pretty good to me...if I wasn't currently in a divesting phase.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 7th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Runnin_Ute View Post

Cool! What appeals to you about that model?

Thanks

Cool! What appeals to you about that model?
    It's one I have liked for some time. My first choice would have been a M400 Stresseman but couldn't quite swing it this time. As it is my wife thinks I'm nuts spending this much.

Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

In general I believe it's better to buy a vintage pen from a vintage pen restorer than via ebay.
    But this is especially true if you want a flexible Skyline. I have sold quite a few Skyline and the ratio between those with true flexible nib vs firm ones are quite low, therefore it saves time to have a vintage restorer (or multiple of them) find one for you.

Unless you truly enjoy buying from ebay, which, I understand
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

12. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 7th, 2018)

Thanks

That is a nice pen. I have thought about buying the combination a number of times from Cult Pens. I like the more greenish color to the tortoise.

Thanks

I got it from The Writing Desk. The price was a little bit better than Cult Pens and I have bought from them before. (M200 Brown Marbled)

The price on the M405 Stresseman was better at Cult Pens but I still couldn't quite swing it.

Thanks

If you get the Falcon get the one with the metal body. The resin body does not work with the con-70 converter. If you are ok with using cartridges or the con-40 it now comes with the resin one is good. I happen to own the resin one with the SM nib and it doesn't take long to go though a converter of ink. I do like the pen and have thought about getting the SF model as well.

Thanks

I have a Diplomat Aero in blue (B) coming in the mail tomorrow. Not sure about my next pen. I was wanting a Karas Vertex but they pushed the release date back into November. It's a nice looking pen and I like you don't need silicone to eyedropper it. It has o-rings designed into the pen body and section. I could get another F-C Model 02 next or pick up a Montegrappa Elmo Verde Altipiano coming out in November. It looks like a comfortable pen and the resin looks attractive. I have not tried a Montegrappa yet.
    Last edited by Driften; October 7th, 2018 at 08:10 PM.

Thanks

Currently abstaining from purchasing anything new. I would love to add an M1000 to my collection at some point. Think I need to purge first though.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RocketRyan For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (October 8th, 2018), Hawk (October 10th, 2018)

Thanks

Another abstainer.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

“If ‘To hold a pen is to be at war’ as Voltaire said, Montblanc suggests you show up in full dress uniform, ready to go down like an officer and a gentleman among the Bic-wielding hordes.” - Chris Wright

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

Thanks

I've got two pens coming. One is a 25th anniversary Visconti Voyager. I think the material is cool, the filling system is neat, and the gold visconti nib is definitely one of the most beautiful nibs out there. I have a lot of black pens with gold trim. Needed something to shake it up a bit. I've secretly (not so secretly to my wife) wanted a Visconti of some measure for quite a while.

the second is the newest creations from Moonman in the brown tortoise shell acrylic. I have a sick obsession with tortoise shell everything. For the price, I'm willing to give it a shot. definitely offering more than any other sub $100 pen on the market right now, IMO.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

Today's me birthday! Hooray. I've survived 72 years on the granite planet so far. Last night I decided to buy myself a Pilot Custom 74 with a fine nib. I love the smoothness of Pilot nibs, and the 74 is pretty much the prefect size, weight and shape for me. Plus it takes the big CON-70 converter. I'd been considering one for a long time, but had been held back by the fact that for some reason demonstrators have always looked to cheap to me, but last night I discovered that I could get an opaque one in black, dark blue, dark green or dark red, and for about half of what they're going for in US shops and on US websites, by ordering from Japan. Seemed too good to turn down. I'm hoping it will turn out to be my go-to daily writer, something I currently lack.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (October 9th, 2018), azkid (October 8th, 2018), BlkWhiteFilmPix (October 22nd, 2018), VertOlive (October 11th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 432 Posts

Happy Happy Birthday, calamus! Here's wishing you many more years and lots of interesting pens accumulated!!

All the Best.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 8th, 2018), BlkWhiteFilmPix (October 22nd, 2018), calamus (October 8th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,470 Times in 1,739 Posts

Happy Birthday!
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (October 22nd, 2018), calamus (October 8th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Happy Happy Birthday, calamus! Here's wishing you many more years and lots of interesting pens accumulated!!

All the Best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Happy Birthday!
    thankyoufeatherpen.gif