Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long can a Montblanc precious resin pen last if treated well and used every day?

Thanks

Default How long can a Montblanc precious resin pen last if treated well and used every day?

Hi,
    I am 20 years old and own 2 MontBlanc ballpoint pens. Most if not all MontBlanc pens are made of precious resin.

What are some of the best ways to prevent scratches and cracks on precious resin pens? I always carry my Montblanc in a Montblanc pen pouch without a zip.
    How long do you guys think a Montblanc pen(ballpoint, rollerball and fountain pen) can last if used everyday and refills changed often?
    Some people said that the twisting mechanism on a Montblanc ballpoint pen can sometimes fail or break or something.

Thanks

Default Re: How long can a Montblanc precious resin pen last if treated well and used every d

Quote Originally Posted by rb120134 View Post
    Hi,
    What are some of the best ways to prevent scratches and cracks on precious resin pens?
    The exact same ways you prevent scratches and cracks on plastic.

How long do you guys think a Montblanc pen(ballpoint, rollerball and fountain pen) can last if used everyday and refills changed often?
    Exactly the same amount of time a plastic pen would last.

Some people said that the twisting mechanism on a Montblanc ballpoint pen can sometimes fail or break or something.
    Probably the same people that say that twisting the mechanism on a plastic pen can cause it to break.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

Cyril (October 27th, 2018), inklord (October 9th, 2018), kardisa (October 28th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: How long can a Montblanc precious resin pen last if treated well and used every d

Not all Montblanc pens are made from "precious resin", some are made from precious metals such as silver, gold and platinum, and some are made from a mixture of materials.

If you look after your pens by keeping them in a Montblanc pen pouch when you take them out of the home, then they should all give you good service for your lifetime.

Any mechanism could fail, even a Montblanc ballpoint mechanism. It doesn't mean that they all will. If the mechanism does fail, then Montblanc can replace it for you.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (January 24th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Other than a poor translation in Marketing I'm not sure what "Precious Resin" is; but the term has been used over the decades by several different makers.

I can't address roller ball or ballpoint pens since I don't use them but I would expect a Montblanc fountain pen to last at least a century with just basic care.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    ...I'm not sure what "Precious Resin" is....
    Google "precious resin" and you'l have enough to find out, half of it chatter but some kernels worth considering. As a topic, it is ban-worthy on FPN.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

One way to put it though, baring the finer points of construction quality, or accidents/etc. We have vintage pens on the market that well exceed 60+ years that are fully functional after a restore of say the piston gasket/greasing, or new sacs and so forth without much needing to be done to the bodies. So it's probably fair to say that well cared for could possibly last another 60+ years.

At least in MontBlanc's case, they will service the pen such as if the barrel cracks or something similar to that, usually by replacing the damaged or worn parts (I don't recall what their rate is, if it's something outside of warranty). But it seems that they will service even a 50+ year old pen of theirs provided they have the parts to do so.

Scratches I tend not to care as much about, particularly micro-scratches. If you're using it as a user, it's going to get them regardless just from the handling, but if really particular about it consider something like one of Montblanc's Soft leather cases, or another equivalent. I noticed on another thread someone mentioned using sunshine cloth every so often to keep the plastic nicer looking, though I've only ever used my sunshine cloth on gold and sterling silver pens I have.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

FYI the material is called Edelharz in German which can be translated to high-grade resin. It is basically acrylic (aka Plexiglas, Acrylite, Lucite, and Perspex).

I try to be extra careful with my MB 221 because the material is extremely thin on that pen and prone to cracking. So I try not to drop it. I store and carry it protected from scratching. Beyond that I have no idea. Wished I could help more but am just a newbie.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    FYI the material is called Edelharz in German which can be translated to high-grade resin. It is basically acrylic (aka Plexiglas, Acrylite, Lucite, and Perspex).

I try to be extra careful with my MB 221 because the material is extremely thin on that pen and prone to cracking. So I try not to drop it. I store and carry it protected from scratching. Beyond that I have no idea. Wished I could help more but am just a newbie.
    And it's been over a half century already since the last 221 was made IIRC.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

KBeezie (October 9th, 2018)

Thanks

I have used some of these (144s) for almost 40 years. The ballpoints sometimes crack around the barrel threads from the apparent stresses of unscrewing and screwing the pen back together. I wouldn't screw it back together with too much torque any more.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    I have used some of these (144s) for almost 40 years. The ballpoints sometimes crack around the barrel threads from the apparent stresses of unscrewing and screwing the pen back together. I wouldn't screw it back together with too much torque any more.
    And that are genuine Montblanc pens ballpoint that crack around the threads? Sometimes?

Thanks

And that are genuine Montblanc pens ballpoint that crack around the threads? Sometimes?
    Yes authentic pens can potentially crack around the threads sometimes, but Montblanc will repair them.

Thanks

I bought the pens in the early 1980s from Fahrney's catalog, by phone order. There was a special, red and black pens $44 each. Montblanc charged $10 to fix the black ballpoint around 1990. No problems since.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (January 24th, 2019)

Thanks

I bought the pens in the early 1980s from Fahrney's catalog, by phone order. There was a special, red and black pens $44 each. Montblanc charged $10 to fix the black ballpoint around 1990. No problems since.
    "There was a special, red and black pens $44 each."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

neel02 (January 30th, 2019)

Thanks

The way I think about it is, a pen of good quality will last an indefinitely long time. If it needs to be repaired, it can be repaired. We have FPGeeks members using pens made in the early years of the twentieth century. There must be a fair number of old people still using the FP they began using in the 1950s. Except that I lost it, I would expect to be still using the Parker 51 I began using in 1949. I write with Montblanc and Parker pens made in the 1950s.

I am 82 years old and do not understand the idea that a pen wears out. Needs new sac, yes; dropped pen on floor and the nib is bent, yes; but pen hobbyists are rather commonly writing with pens made in the 1920s that are in quite good condition today. And they need not have been expensive pens to begin with.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jerome Tarshis For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 26th, 2018), kardisa (October 28th, 2018), ljmudit (May 5th, 2020), pajaro (October 26th, 2018), Scrawler (January 25th, 2019), ukefan (October 28th, 2018)

Thanks

Hi,
    I am 20 years old and own 2 MontBlanc ballpoint pens. Most if not all MontBlanc pens are made of precious resin.

What are some of the best ways to prevent scratches and cracks on precious resin pens? I always carry my Montblanc in a Montblanc pen pouch without a zip.
    My pens from the 80’s are still in good condition...except a ballpoint that my son threw at the wall of his hospital room...he was only 2 and in the process of a bone marrow transplant....MB repaired it as it was sentimental for no charge as my son passed away and it is a pen that reminds me of him. I had sent off $75 for the repair it was returned.

Avoiding harsh temperatures such as hot cars or cold during the winters the pistonless model should last in the 75 plus years range. The pistons need servicing to keep them free moving so a bit of grease does help as would a lubricated ink.

Stay free of bay state blue ink and harsh cleaners like bleach and that big ol’149 may push toward the 100 year mark. The little Mozart is metal it may just go on and on for twice that period of time......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

Life of a precious resin pen aka MB :

Used as a writing instrument : Life time and beyond

Used as a bottle opener / drill bit / screw driver / acupressure kit / earbud : subjective

Thanks

I have had some for thirty-six years. Perfect.

If you drop them, or use them as prybars, they will break. I bought a broken 144R cheap and used the parts, except the broken barrel. Later I used the barrel with a hole at the end to make a rollerball with a Parker 45 cap, which fit perfectly, giving a ParkMont rollerball.

Thanks

Hi,
    I am 20 years old and own 2 MontBlanc ballpoint pens.
    I suspect most people here don't understand the actual issues with the plastics MB use and why it could be important that your pens are ballpoints...

MB "precious resin" is perspex with glass fibres added to make a cheap easily worked material that's also shiny. Unfortunately the resulting material is more than usually brittle (this is because of the addition of the glass - the perspex itself is a great material) and prone to failing from stress. For fps this means that MBs are more prone to exploding if dropped than eg a Lamy Safari. For ballpoints there is another problem: a lot of MB ballpoints are twist retract. This means that the body is stressed with every retract cycle. Back the last time I took an interest in such things there were reports of MB twist retracts failing simply from being retracted - which, based on the material used and the design, you would expect.

Stress problems aren't unique to MB - eg TWSBI had problems with them for a while. And how vulnerable a pen is will depend on the exact formulation of the material, manufacturing methods, force needed to retract, thickness of material at the key points, etc. Personally I can't see the point of buying a pen that is unusually delicate and unusually expensive and doesn't write especially well (disposable Uniball and Pentel hybrids and liquid ink pens are much better writers - so good that Uni Visions have replaced Rotring technical pens for a lot of artists) but ymmv.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ilikenails View Post
    Hi,
    I suspect most people here don't understand the actual issues with the plastics MB use and why it could be important that your pens are ballpoints...

MB "precious resin" is perspex with glass fibres added to make a cheap easily worked material that's also shiny. Unfortunately the resulting material is more than usually brittle (this is because of the addition of the glass - the perspex itself is a great material) and prone to failing from stress. For fps this means that MBs are more prone to exploding if dropped than eg a Lamy Safari. For ballpoints there is another problem: a lot of MB ballpoints are twist retract. This means that the body is stressed with every retract cycle. Back the last time I took an interest in such things there were reports of MB twist retracts failing simply from being retracted - which, based on the material used and the design, you would expect.

Stress problems aren't unique to MB - eg TWSBI had problems with them for a while. And how vulnerable a pen is will depend on the exact formulation of the material, manufacturing methods, force needed to retract, thickness of material at the key points, etc. Personally I can't see the point of buying a pen that is unusually delicate and unusually expensive and doesn't write especially well (disposable Uniball and Pentel hybrids and liquid ink pens are much better writers - so good that Uni Visions have replaced Rotring technical pens for a lot of artists) but ymmv.
    What you say about the wrist retract ballpoints is true. My first one broke at the barrel open end on its last retract, after about ten years use.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ilikenails View Post
    Hi,
    For fps this means that MBs are more prone to exploding if dropped than eg a Lamy Safari.
    Do you have anything, even anecdotally, regarding "explosions" of MB pens, specifically MBs 146s or 149s? Please include in your response the sample size of those two models. Thanks..