Thread: Just silicone grease it or something else?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Default Just silicone grease it or something else?

Figured it would be best to ask, since it's not just greasing the piston.

Have a MontBlanc 14, was curious if the nib unit collar was considered too lose (shrinkage or otherwise) that it needs to be greased, or if something else needs to be done.

I'm assuming since the ink reservoir lip pushes into the back of the nib unit as the section gets screwed on it probably has enough pressure to the lip to keep it from leaking ink from past there (But course may make it take a lot longer to flush as ink gets trapped around the collar, which to me is only important when changing ink).

Silicone grease is probably the only thing I could use if I needed to, since the ink reservoir needs to be able to rotate around the collar as it screws into the back of the section and pushes the nib unit forward (which is locked into a specific orientation).

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Just silicone grease it or something else?

I'm not sure that silicone will be enough to keep it in position when it's so loose.

I wonder if you might need a very small dab of something like Montblanc's pink "bubble gum" look alike adhesive?

Or maybe Ron Zorn might recommend his "rosin" for this?

I hope someone can help. I'm not really sure.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I'm not sure that silicone will be enough to keep it in position when it's so loose.

I wonder if you might need a very small dab of something like Montblanc's pink "bubble gum" look alike adhesive?

Or maybe Ron Zorn might recommend his "rosin" for this?

I hope someone can help. I'm not really sure.
    In regards to 'keep it in position', the section portion as seen here, internally has a deep groove and flat edge that holds it in one orientation. The blue part pushes a bit snugly forward into the back of the nib unit by the time the section is screwed down up against the chrome ring.

Unless you mean that even with grease ink will still creep up around the collar.

I currently have it put back together (only greased the piston not anything else) and in the storage tray because I'll be going on vacation with my girlfriend up north for 4 days this week.

I do know that I had it inked for a couple days, and when I unscrewed it after giving it a bit of a flush I didn't see any ink (or too faint for me to tell) in the neck portion of the reservoir where the creep would have occurred if it did. So short of long duration or getting knocked it might be ok, but my concern is the looseness may have more volume of silicone grease to flow back into the ink, and then end up flowing to the feed/nib (and there would be no indicator to know when it needs to be redone versus just a stiff piston rotation).

PS: I thought about rosin (have some that was primarily a vacumatic thread sealant, the yellow stuff), but I'm hesitant to use it unless I have confirmation that it won't react with the plastic. I know it's fine with celluloid/ebonite. Plus the reservoir needs to be able to turn while the nib unit stays in place in order to remove or put on the section. (but rosin can be loosened with warm/hot water, so that may be the only way to get it off after it cures within the pen). But yea I would rather hear some expert opinions before going that kind of route.
    Last edited by KBeezie; October 9th, 2018 at 03:35 AM.

Thanks

That sort of nib/section combination usually tends to have something to prevent ink creeping out. I read that Parker 65 has softened dental wax placed at the joint.

I bet Montblanc would have originally used something there, and it probably wouldn't have been silicone grease. On the other hand they would probably only put their bubble gum sealant around the clear plastic part, so that would definitely prevent it from leaking. It can't fall out so leaking would be the only concern.

Thanks

That sort of nib/section combination usually tends to have something to prevent ink creeping out. I read that Parker 65 has softened dental wax placed at the joint.

I bet Montblanc would have originally used something there, and it probably wouldn't have been silicone grease. On the other hand they would probably only put their bubble gum sealant around the clear plastic part, so that would definitely prevent it from leaking. It can't fall out so leaking would be the only concern.
    But would the bubble gum sealant also prevent movement? (ie: the blue part will have to be able to rotate around the tail of the nib unit in order to be removed or screwed on).

Though it seems like 100% pure beeswax may be a viable alternative as it won't likely "seal" them together hard but will keep anything from creeping thru the tiny spacing.

Thanks

I think you're right and the Montblanc bubble gum stuff would prevent movement.

Beeswax might work.

Thanks

I think you're right and the Montblanc bubble gum stuff would prevent movement.

Beeswax might work.
    Slightly older thread on similar topic mentions mixing liquid paraffin with bees wax. (keeps it like a putty). But I'm thinking just pure beeswax may be enough if I very lightly coat the tail enough so that it's snug but can still rotate should do the trick for my peace of mind until otherwise stated, least that way I can gently test before screwing it back into the section.

Thanks

Please keep us informed of your progress.

Thanks

By the way just a heads up, over a month ago I cut a very small portion of a #15 sac to act like an o-ring of sort , that slips into the recess at the back of the nib unit where the lip of reservoir would make contact (but doesn't go into, just presses up against).

When I disassembled the pen again earlier last week after having it inked with Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo for over a month, there was no evidence of any ink on the resevoir threads, or ever having made it past the lip of the resevior.

Plenty of ink in the forward section where the nib/feed is to be expected, including on top of the nib inside of the collar, again expected, but more of a cleaning annoyance to know that it'll be there and need to be shaken/rinsed a bit to get it out during the normal process of flushing. (and it's possible that there may have been ink in between the space of the tail and the ink reservoir that never made it past the lip, which would make flushing take a little longer and would require some shakes to get it all.)

But I can say least this way, there hasn't been any risk of the ink leaking beyond the reservoir, and all of this may be normal, I'm just picky in not understanding why there would be any kind of nooks or crannies for the ink to hide in making flushing take longer. Similar to the hole in the back of the M640 nib (probably the hole left from molding the plastic feed), which is extra annoying because ink is always deep inside that hole (quickest way to flush that is to unscrew the nib and use a blunt syringe to squirt out the ink out of that hole which goes no where, it's just there).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (November 19th, 2018)

Thanks

I'm pleased to hear that making the o-ring of sorts worked and fixed the problem.

Thanks

I'm pleased to hear that making the o-ring of sorts worked and fixed the problem.
    It's an excellent pen, currently have Montblanc Irish green, but not really loving it with the Irish green, was nicer with Tsuki-yo. :P

Though it does look pretty sweet on Tomoe River.

Thanks

From memory, the nib and feed push into the section from the back. You need to make sure the nib aligns with the front of the section.
    When you screw the barrel in, it holds the nib and feed in place.
    You always get ink creeping into and around the plastic part, but the pen is easy to dismantle, so it is easy enough to clean if needed.

Remember, when these pens were made, the owner probably never changed ink colour, so ease of cleaning was not a major part of owning a pen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whych View Post
    From memory, the nib and feed push into the section from the back. You need to make sure the nib aligns with the front of the section.
    Naturally (it's not my first rodeo, but also the nib/feed wouldn't go in as far if it was not correctly aligned and would be too forced, something you shouldn't ever do with a pen if you tried screwing it in without it being aligned)

When you screw the barrel in, it holds the nib and feed in place.
    yep, I think I mentioned that's how it works. Pushes up against the nib unit, which was part of the reason why I thought it being looser in the resevior was probably not as big a deal if there was enough existing pressure provided around the lip.

You always get ink creeping into and around the plastic part, but the pen is easy to dismantle, so it is easy enough to clean if needed.

Remember, when these pens were made, the owner probably never changed ink colour, so ease of cleaning was not a major part of owning a pen.
    And figured this already as well, since it's not like now days where a bunch of enthusiasts are changing around ink every other month just trying to find a good/fun match. :P I don't think the modern age manufactures intend for it either if you read most of their flushing instructions (like what ink is ever out after a couple rinses and flushes? enough so that you avoid ink mixing?)