Thread: Restoring Stickered Pens

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Default Restoring Stickered Pens

What are your methods for protecting the sticker/chalk marks?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Default Re: Restoring Stickered Pens

Quote Originally Posted by RayCornett View Post
    What are your methods for protecting the sticker/chalk marks?
    Not restoring them, for starters. If I wanted those pens to remain in that untouched condition, I can't see why I would restore. If it was a pen with a sac or diaphragm I would remove all that material to prevent any degradation of the pen itself, give the pen the lightest of cleaning to remove any surface dust/dirt, and leave it at that.

For me (and maybe only that), a pen goes only one of two directions: into a collection for preservation, display and as an example, or into the group of users. If I had a stickered pen that - for whatever reason - was destined for use, I'd go all in: do a full restore and not necessarily preserve sticker/marks. If it was to be used, how much sense would it make to have that stuff on the pen? I have one pen that might be in the middle: a previously unused Argentine-made Parker 61, with chalk mark. This is such a magnificent pen and shown to be a great, great writer that I simply had to put it into my regular use. It is niche but not what I would consider ultra-rare, so I don't feel I've deprived the pen community at large of a significant piece.

Just my thoughts on all this, Ray.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

RayCornett (October 11th, 2018)

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Thank you. It is just a Sheaffer Valiant Vac. I fully see your points. At least I think it needs a good exterior cleaning. The cap and barrel look a little grubby but otherwise it's NOS. As for the 61 I have a gold one made there as well and love it. No chalk marks but gorgeous condition and tipping like a bowling ball.lol

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    If I had a stickered pen that - for whatever reason - was destined for use, I'd go all in: do a full restore and not necessarily preserve sticker/marks. If it was to be used, how much sense would it make to have that stuff on the pen?
    I agree that if a pen is going to be used then there is no point in trying to preserve stickers/chalk marks on it.

I've tried keeping a sticker on a Montblanc that I use. It just wears away at the edges and looks awful. It's far easier to remove it before it degrades.

The last time I bought a pen from a Montblanc store, they removed the sticker without even asking me whether I wanted to keep it on there or not.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

RayCornett (October 14th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 795 Posts

Personally I think stickers are overrated. But then again I believe that flex is overrated so go figure....

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Personally I think stickers are overrated. But then again I believe that flex is overrated so go figure....
    You are certainly welcome to that belief. However, if someone seeks to preserve the pen in that state (stickered) because of intended resale, they are being a smart person. You may find them overrated, but you simply can't argue with the fact that, more often than not, pens in this condition fetch higher prices when sold.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

RayCornett (October 14th, 2018)