Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scams and Fountain Pens

Thanks

Default Re: Scams and Fountain Pens

Amen to that. It's an extremely broad brush that would exclude a whole country based on two bad apples.
    Thanks for reminding us, Nonsensical.
    De pen is machtiger dan het zwaard - de pen wordt nog gebruikt, het zwaard hangt aan de muur...

Thanks

It must've been painful enough for the victims, without people rubbing salt by making light of their pain, whether intentional or not. It's just not on.

I say thank you Brian* for letting us know of your ordeal.

Tongue not so firmly in cheek, this time.

Edit: *and Annie, woosang, and others
    Last edited by Tony Rex; May 19th, 2013 at 07:46 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Rex For This Useful Post:

JustinJ (May 19th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Rex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post
    Paypal transaction first.
    And avoid unsafe transaction methods: Bank transfer, Western Union, MoneyGram, Shop Vouchers, etc.

So far Paypal is okay for me, but YMMV or course. Plenty of horror stories even with that.. Not sure with IBAN in Europe, I'm not there.. :-)

Woe unto you Canada for having Kirkylarky! If your own citizen for some (strange) reason could not rely on your fancy dressed policing, we shall treat you the same as Somalia in pen trading cred!*

Tongue firmly in cheek.

*except respectable people like drgoretex
    Lol

BTW, did anyone notice renpei's classified for a Wahl Eversharp demonstrator using pics from their website because he "had the pen in his locker at school and hence couldn't produce any pictures"? I'm loving his avatar pic too -- reminds me of the hackerforum bookmarks in his browser in the screenshot of the "conversation" he had with **ahem*himself*ahem* kirkylarky... Seems like a real smart, upstanding, straight-A higschool student to me!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I have had no troubles in dealing on this board. I have a couple sales, some purchases and some trades.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

I think it really has come down to us trading and dealing with "us". Meaning with those we know. When someone new comes along I guess we need to proceed with caution.

There are so many GREAT people I have met and delt with here. Ones who I would send a pen to without a second thought. I find it nice to know that I know some here well enough, even without meeting them in person, that I would send a pen or ink or paper just to let them try it or review it for their blog etc.

The bad seeds won't change my feelings at all. No matter where you are in the world or life there will always be those who look to take advantage. We as a close knit group need to just stay together.

Just my 2 cents.... I have been avoiding replying to the recent rash of threads about the slime thats infiltrated our friendly and trusting community.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (May 19th, 2013), woosang (May 20th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Rex View Post
    Paypal transaction first.
    And avoid unsafe transaction methods: Bank transfer, Western Union, MoneyGram, Shop Vouchers, etc.

So far Paypal is okay for me, but YMMV or course. Plenty of horror stories even with that.. Not sure with IBAN in Europe, I'm not there.. :-)

Woe unto you Canada for having Kirkylarky! If your own citizen for some (strange) reason could not rely on your fancy dressed policing, we shall treat you the same as Somalia in pen trading cred!*

Tongue firmly in cheek.

*except respectable people like drgoretex
    Lol

BTW, did anyone notice renpei's classified for a Wahl Eversharp demonstrator using pics from their website because he "had the pen in his locker at school and hence couldn't produce any pictures"? I'm loving his avatar pic too -- reminds me of the hackerforum bookmarks in his browser in the screenshot of the "conversation" he had with **ahem*himself*ahem* kirkylarky... Seems like a real smart, upstanding, straight-A higschool student to me!
    The listing seems to have been removed. I wonder why that is?
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/peachez

Thanks

The Classified rules do not allow posting pictures of the item for sale that are not one's own pictures.
    But the item is still there, I just clicked the link.
    De pen is machtiger dan het zwaard - de pen wordt nog gebruikt, het zwaard hangt aan de muur...

Thanks

I was scammed and hence no trades from me. I will sell a pen but as stated only after a PayPal receipt is received. I sorry but it bit me hard and I know ppl are generally good, I just can't afford the risk.
    If I know you, then that's a different story.
    Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by woosang; May 20th, 2013 at 06:35 AM.

Thanks

Well, at the risk of simply adding a 'me too' post, I have to say that I have had the pleasure of doing a number of pen trades, some with folks who hang out here, and it has been entirely positive.

In fact, out of many hundreds of trades and sales with folks in the 'FP Community', I've only ever had a couple that were a bit sour (and those, I had a suspicion that they would go that way from the beginning, but foolishly did not follow instinct). A rule of thumb for me is simply to be sure the risk is within acceptable limits.

But since I enjoy the pleasure of turning over the collection, and interacting in a mutually trusting sort of way with other FP nuts, I can't see myself giving up the trades.

Thumbs up to the fountain pen folks out there!

Cheers,

Ken

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heraclitus682 View Post
    Actually, oddly enough, I recently lost a MB 146 and a few other pens to a "trader" in Canada. I know it sounds crazy, but with that, and the kirkylarky stuff, I am reluctant to send my pens to Canada.

Brian
    Really, Brian? A couple of bad traders and you're ready to dismiss the other 34 million of us?

Ken

Thanks

No, I'll still trade to Canada. Just my first emotional response.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heraclitus682 For This Useful Post:

chiaroscuro (May 20th, 2013), drgoretex (May 20th, 2013)

Banned
    Thanks

@ Annie.
    I do not appreciate your accusations.
    First off. Is it illegal to browse hackforums? I have found tons of useful information on how to make money using PPD and how good webhosts and what not on there. The name might be misleading but check it out. They have more than just hacks. And as a computer geek like myself, is it wrong to browse something like that?

Also, this is obviosuly not my computer. Or else, why would I have a bookmark folder called "RENPEI"... But that is besides the point. I go on hackforums occasionally and I am not afraid to admit it. I have some friends who are also computer geeks and have straight A's as well. Problem?

As for the Eversharp, I will be getting pictures up tomorrow. I did not know that we were not allowed to get pics from other webistes. Today is Victoria Day and school is closed. However, if you do not trust me, contact Hiivy on FPN. Hes local and I've shown him my Wahl Eversharp. He can vouch for it. Hes a gold member and has sold several items on FPN including a Pilot to me.

Same to you Charischaro. I have already verified my identity with Dannzeman and I will give him permission to show you what I provided him it that will help you. However, I have done nothing wrong and I do not appreciate my treatment.

You are entitled to your own opinions and I know I cannot change that but please do not accuse me of things I have not done. I have offered to help but you rudely refused it. I have not recieved a thanks but I wasnt looking for one as I know how you are feeling. However, I do not appreciate your rudeness.

Thanks

Never had a single issue in years of trading on watch, safety razor, and flashlight forums, but got burned on my very first trade on this forum. That's not to say I won't try again, and it's not to say the bad trade is over, but it's certainly disappointing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

/redacted
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; May 20th, 2013 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Erroneous posting on my part.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Renpei, I don't want to poke further holes in your stories because I'm afraid you'd just get better at making them. Suffice it to say I don't believe them one bit.

If you have done or are doing dishonest things, please reconsider that path. You may get away with it for some time but you're only really fooling yourself and life will catch up with you. Better to channel your energies into honest work.

If you truly haven't done anything wrong then just go about your business and disregrd this. That's all I have to say about that.

Thanks

W
    Renpei, I don't want to poke further holes in your stories because I'm afraid you'd just get better at making them. Suffice it to say I don't believe them one bit.

If you have done or are doing dishonest things, please reconsider that path. You may get away with it for some time but you're only really fooling yourself and life will catch up with you. Better to channel your energies into honest work.

If you truly haven't done anything wrong then just go about your business and disregrd this. That's all I have to say about that.
    What has he done?

regards

david
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

Banned
    Thanks

Apparently, he thinks I am the scammer.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Note: I've removed my comments. With all of the recent threads on trading and scamming and high school, I had confused two parties. My apologies to renpei for the comments, if they were read.

I'm bowing out. All this ad hoc trading is giving me the willies...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by renpei View Post
    Apparently, he thinks I am the scammer.
    I don't, but I do have to ask, why did you get banned from FPN? And why didn't you report kirkylarky to the police, since you have his address and you are local?

Banned
    Thanks

The FPN story... sigh
    So basically, you see the link chiaroscuro posted to my Wahl Eversharp advertisement on FPN? Its a long weekend, the pen is in my locker, I couldnt get a picture so I borrowed from the Wahl website. I didnt know i violated the TOS.
    Like I told chiaroscuro in a pm, i will take a picture of the pen in my locker with my drivers liscence, student card, and tomorows date beside it to prove that I am telling the truth.

As for the police. What will they do? Go on a chase for a stolen pen? I dont even have proof that he stole it from me. I only have circumstancial evidence and I doubt that would get him in trouble. I had planned to deal with it myself but the other members convinced me otherwise.

I think i will just let it go. I lost a $130 pen but I learned a lesson. And anyways, its better to learn this lesson earlier in life when it really hasnt started