Thread: Pen flush and a Conid

Thanks
    Thanked 6,427 Times in 2,519 Posts

Default Pen flush and a Conid

No, this isn't a bottle of valuable demonstrator ink. It's my custom-mix pen flush that I've been using more often lately since I've been resurrecting more vintage pens. It holds a solution of 60ml of Trihydrogen Nitride, 540ml of Dihydrogen Monoxide, and a drop of Sodium Dodecyl Benzene Sulphonate as a surfactant. It works well, and I always follow with a rinse of plain water flush.

Oh, that's my Conid Minimalistica F that's awaiting a flush before I fill it with either Diamine Sargasso Sea, Akkerman No. 5 or Parker Penman Sapphire (I haven't decided). Afterwards, I'll write some cards and letters.

I'm not a big fan of demonstrator pens, because once they have been inked, many will retain ink that's crept into difficult to clean threads, nooks and crannies, not a pretty sight. I made an exception with the Conid because I really like seeing what I'm doing when turning it's bulk-filler mechanism, and the Conid's design allows easy disassembly of the entire pen for 100% access to remove all ink residue. Conid's acrylic takes no stain, so I have no problem using highly-saturated inks in this demonstrator.

IMG_1697.JPG
    Last edited by FredRydr; October 18th, 2018 at 05:32 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 18th, 2018), Chrissy (October 18th, 2018), junglejim (October 19th, 2018), Marsilius (October 19th, 2018), mitchell (October 19th, 2018), Robert (October 18th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,473 Times in 4,007 Posts

Default Re: Pen flush and a Conid

I was looking for the price of the pen flush. Doh!
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

A Conid demonstrator is high on my next pen list; I’m just waiting for the CAISO to come back. I’m glad to hear the acrylic avoids staining. How far have you pushed this attribute? Have you tried bay state blue?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Conid's acrylic takes no stain, so I have no problem using highly-saturated inks in this demonstrator.
    Baystate Blue?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,427 Times in 2,519 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Conid's acrylic takes no stain, so I have no problem using highly-saturated inks in this demonstrator.
    Baystate Blue?
    No! Well, I have no interest in moving into Noodlers, let alone Bay State Blue, since I already have plenty of inks to choose from. The ink residue in that barrel is Diamine Sargasso Sea, and perhaps it's time to fill from one of my other over-saturated blues. I still have some Penman Sapphire left, but that Akkerman No. 5 (Shocking Blue) is nice, too. The Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue doesn't get used much because it takes so long to dry. You may recall the comparison of these in the Ink subforum. Decisions...decisions.

IMG_1698.JPG

For those of you who like an extremely high quality pen devoid of ornament and very strong construction, with or without a clear barrel, I highly recommend the pricey Conids with their bulk-filler mechanism that holds a generous supply of ink. If you can snag a used one, all the better. I am frankly amazed by the performance of their inexpensive Bock steel nibs. I have an M and an F. They offer titanium and gold, too, though I have no experience with those (the steel nibs provide no motivation to try). All Conid's Bock nibs are tuned before they're shipped.

My Minimalistica had a prior owner (a fellow FPGeek), and I know he liked it enough to have taken very good care of it. In fact, after he sold this one to me, he ended up buying a replacement! Conids come with a spanner for easy disassembly, cleaning and parts replacement (e.g., o-rings). Conid Pens is proud of their product, and it shows in the customer service I experienced, even though I was not their original customer. Note that the Minimlistica, like the Lamy 2000 and the Parker 51, has a slip cap. If you need a screw, go for the other models.

I usually sing the praises of vintage pens, but this modern pen is special in its own right. See: https://www.conidpen.com
    Last edited by FredRydr; October 18th, 2018 at 01:38 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,856 Times in 806 Posts

You should be careful with the Dihydrogen Monoxide.

Thanks

Fred - I share your admiration of Conids. My Regular Flat top Bulkfiller is nearing its second birthday, and it's always in rotation. The fit, finish and materials that go into these pens have to be seen and felt to be truly appreciated. Not to mention the excellent service/support after the sale.

Now as to Baystate Blue vs Conid demonstrator - that might be an interesting an "cage match" (?)

Thanks

Fred - I share your admiration of Conids. My Regular Flat top Bulkfiller is nearing its second birthday, and it's always in rotation. The fit, finish and materials that go into these pens have to be seen and felt to be truly appreciated. Not to mention the excellent service/support after the sale.

Now as to Baystate Blue vs. your pen flush in a Conid demonstrator - that might be an interesting "cage match" (?)
    Last edited by Robert; October 22nd, 2018 at 06:16 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (October 18th, 2018)