Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: What's the point of extra long pens?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    San Marino
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default What's the point of extra long pens?

    Saw today at a shop the rOtring Artpen: it has a cap with a clip, thought it's so long it would not fit in a pocket, hardly in a purse, unless the artist roams around with a satchel of sorts.
    What's the appeal behind such elongated forms? Do they make calligraphy or arts easier, by being held like a brush of something?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Robert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    494
    Thanks
    597
    Thanked 247 Times in 184 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: What's the point of extra long pens?

    It's simply a case of each to his own. Here's a link to the aptly named Conid Giraffe:

    http://www.conidpen.com/giraffe/

    Not for me, but it does hold a lot of ink.

  3. #3
    Senior Member KBeezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    1,527
    Thanks
    100
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 437 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: What's the point of extra long pens?

    Seems like they're not exactly the carry around pens (unless you're using a case or such) and rather something you place on a stand and use.

    But I would say what both of you said seem to be valid points. Extra ink without being thick, but also being able to hold from further back if desired.

    I do like longer pens, but not that long, and if my short (long in comparison to the two other models at the time) 1956 Pelikan 400NN can hold shy of 2ml of ink don't see why many others can't put that kind of capacity in that thinness. So I'm leaning toward being able to hold it anywhere. Also they quote 6ml of ink for their barrels, something you can do with some of noodler's cheaper pens (but you don't get the same craftmanship or nib).

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Dallas, as in the 80's TV Series
    Posts
    2,042
    Thanks
    1,397
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 874 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: What's the point of extra long pens?

    To scratch that itch on your upper-back while writing.
    - Will
    Sketches with restored vintage fountain pens: Redeem Pens

  5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

    azkid (October 24th, 2018), FredRydr (October 23rd, 2018), jodylud (October 25th, 2018), KBeezie (October 23rd, 2018)

  6. #5
    Senior Member KBeezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    1,527
    Thanks
    100
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 437 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: What's the point of extra long pens?

    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    To scratch that itch on your upper-back while writing.
    Preferably with the cap on... lol.

  7. #6
    Senior Member grainweevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Cornwall, UK
    Posts
    977
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 400 Times in 223 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: What's the point of extra long pens?

    A few German school pens were available with an extra screw-on tail, and I recall reading someone reminisce about their teacher being able to spot at a distance if anyone in class was getting their handwriting practice wrong as a result of the tell-tale tail waving about. That works as angle indicator for the user, as well as hawk-eyed educators, so that's probably one reason. It also effects the balance of the pen to a certain extent - as far as that Conid goes, I can only assume negatively. But I suspect the main reason is it harks back to dip pens and quills before that, and that's always tended to be a habit of fountain pens, to emulate what's come before.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

    KKay (October 25th, 2018)

  9. #7
    Senior Member AzJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Flagstaff
    Posts
    395
    Thanks
    505
    Thanked 374 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: What's the point of extra long pens?

    Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    But I suspect the main reason is it harks back to dip pens and quills before that, and that's always tended to be a habit of fountain pens, to emulate what's come before.
    Particularly since the pen in question is called an "art pen". I suspect it isn't meant to be used as an every day pen. The body shape is very similar to the Pilot Parallel, another pen that wouldn't be used for day to day tasks.

  10. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    San Marino
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: What's the point of extra long pens?

    Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    A few German school pens were available with an extra screw-on tail, and I recall reading someone reminisce about their teacher being able to spot at a distance if anyone in class was getting their handwriting practice wrong as a result of the tell-tale tail waving about. That works as angle indicator for the user, as well as hawk-eyed educators, so that's probably one reason. It also effects the balance of the pen to a certain extent - as far as that Conid goes, I can only assume negatively. But I suspect the main reason is it harks back to dip pens and quills before that, and that's always tended to be a habit of fountain pens, to emulate what's come before.
    Interesting perspective and a clever way to better figure out arm movement vs finger movement.

    It is a shame really that nowadays handwriting is taught at such superficial levels.

  11. #9
    FPG Donor ♕
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    686
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 456 Times in 171 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: What's the point of extra long pens?

    Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    To scratch that itch on your upper-back while writing.
    Preferably with the cap on... lol.
    With the tail of the pen, Karl! lol

  12. #10
    Senior Member Kulprit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    231
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked 171 Times in 78 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: What's the point of extra long pens?

    Itís to emulate the feel and balance of a brush pen or nib holder.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 27 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: What's the point of extra long pens?

    The length means a different balance compared with shorter pens (personal preference). It also gives you different grip options while sketching e.g. holding it further back for looser lines.

    It won't be because of ink capacity, since most of these longer pens (like the ArtPen, Lamy Joy, Platinum Carbon pen) still take cartridges / converters.
    Last edited by milkb0at; October 25th, 2018 at 03:34 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •