Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First pen show (probably)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Re: First pen show (probably)

Thank you, amk, for your thoughts on this. There was never an intention to buy anything, though one can never be certain until that day arrives! I am travelling with my wife, and spending time with her in SF is infinitely more significant than attending a display of old pens and stuff. My decision is firming up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 797 Posts

EoC: you are very lucky you will get to go to a pen show. Like you, I live thousands of miles from any city that hosts a pen show, posse, meet up or anything like it.

You probably know this but sure to check out Richard Binder's article on pen shows: http://www.richardspens.com/ref/shows/firstshow.htm

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    You probably know this but sure to check out Richard Binder's article on pen shows: http://www.richardspens.com/ref/shows/firstshow.htm

Thanks

Something else to consider, EoC, is that while its called the San Francisco Pen Show is not actually in San Francisco proper, its in Redwood City, which is just south of San Francisco. That means you will need to organize transit from SFO to the pen show. SFO is also almost dead-center between Redwood City and China Town's location within SF.

Fortunately, you will be able to take the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) from SFO to Redwood City and China Town (or very nearby). Other public transit will be required as well. Alternatively, you could rent a car for your time on the peninsula, especially if you want to get some ocean time.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Something else to consider, EoC, is that while its called the San Francisco Pen Show is not actually in San Francisco proper, its in Redwood City, which is just south of San Francisco. That means you will need to organize transit from SFO to the pen show. SFO is also almost dead-center between Redwood City and China Town's location within SF.
    Part of that is correct: the show is south of SFO. It's only about 5 miles or so, which means the show is actually closer to the airport than downtown SF and all the main SF attractions. BART is the preferred way into the city from there but going to the show would probably be better by Lyft/Uber. *Anything* is do-able, as there are a lot of transportation options.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Part of that is correct: the show is south of SFO. It's only about 5 miles or so, which means the show is actually closer to the airport than downtown SF and all the main SF attractions. BART is the preferred way into the city from there but going to the show would probably be better by Lyft/Uber. *Anything* is do-able, as there are a lot of transportation options.
    Looks like 11 miles to the Pullman from SFO and 15 to Chinatown. Agreed about using Lyft/Uber to get to the hotel. You could also use Super Shuttle to get down there, too. Very reasonable, iirc.

Either way, knowing that the show is definitely not in the city is useful information to have beforehand.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Looks like 11 miles to the Pullman from SFO and 15 to Chinatown. Agreed about using Lyft/Uber to get to the hotel. You could also use Super Shuttle to get down there, too. Very reasonable, iirc.

Either way, knowing that the show is definitely not in the city is useful information to have beforehand.
    Ok, it seemed a lot closer (airport/venue). The other thing is that it isn't just raw miles but how congested it is! But, whatever, it's all doable for the adventurous. I know people that won't cross the street if it means broadening their horizons and others who trek the Himalayas. All humans differ to an extent.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

EoC: you are very lucky you will get to go to a pen show. Like you, I live thousands of miles from any city that hosts a pen show, posse, meet up or anything like it.

Yes, I saw that article a while back. He makes the whole endeavour sound awful.

Academic anyway, we are not going to the show. The recent spiteful action of a person who is often lauded as a "decent person" tipped the balance of the decision. Despicable behaviour, and unethical.

We are going to go and enjoy Chinatown and a few other places in the area, and you know... talk to normal people.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post

Yes, I saw that article a while back. He makes the whole endeavour sound awful.

Academic anyway, we are not going to the show. The recent spiteful action of a person who is often lauded as a "decent person" tipped the balance of the decision. Despicable behaviour, and unethical.

We are going to go and enjoy Chinatown and a few other places in the area, and you know... talk to normal people.
    You know EoC, after all 3 pages of this thread that you started, and all of the really helpful input many people have gone out of their way to put forward for you, even if I had thought that I would never have actually come on here and typed it for all to see.
    Last edited by Chrissy; November 22nd, 2018 at 01:32 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

catbert (November 22nd, 2018), Chemyst (November 22nd, 2018), jmccarty3 (December 28th, 2018)

Thanks

There's been some helpful information (for which I thank those who have offered it), and there has also been some stuff (here and off-forum) that has been quite depressing. On the balance of these things my decision will mean a more enjoyable visit for my wife and I (which is of course the main thing).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

catbert (November 22nd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

SF is one of my favorite cities thus far visited; I hope you and your wife enjoy it at least as as much as I have!

PS: I would love to hear about it when you return.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (November 22nd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 797 Posts

So you are letting the actions of one person deprive you of the rare opportunity to go to a pen show? I really can't understand this. But it's your choice.

However, and I say this with the utmost respect, please refrain in the future to complain about how far away you live, how you can't try out pens in person and why you are limitted to buying pens sight unseen. You have been given the opportunity to experience something new that many of us can only dream of. And you are choosing the "safe" way out. I sincerely hope you never regret this decision.

16. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Ahriman4891 (November 23rd, 2018), Beowulf50 (November 29th, 2018), catbert (November 22nd, 2018), Chemyst (November 22nd, 2018), Chrissy (April 26th, 2020), Deb (November 22nd, 2018), ethernautrix (November 22nd, 2018), Farmboy (November 22nd, 2018), grainweevil (November 22nd, 2018), jmccarty3 (December 28th, 2018), Jon Szanto (November 22nd, 2018), penwash (November 22nd, 2018), Shane Cavitt (November 22nd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I've been to San Francisco, and specifically Chinatown. With the greatest of respect, I thought it was missable, and if there had been a pen show when I was there, it would certainly have looked like a much better option.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

jmccarty3 (December 28th, 2018)

Thanks

Most of you are overlooking the fact that we were never going to SF for the pen show, but as a stopover in our longer journey. Not going to the show allows us even more freedom with regard to travel times. As for the pen show, it's just a pen show. While it may have been passably interesting it is not the be all and end all of things. When making decisions one must consider all sorts of angles. In this case the show is awkwardly placed for people like us who are just passing through, reports of what shows are like (that I've read) seem quite mixed, and while some people are encouraging others most certainly are not. Overall it's just a lot less hassle to not bother with the show. It's not a big deal.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Most of you are overlooking the fact that we were never going to SF for the pen show, but as a stopover in our longer journey. Not going to the show allows us even more freedom with regard to travel times. As for the pen show, it's just a pen show. While it may have been passably interesting it is not the be all and end all of things. When making decisions one must consider all sorts of angles. In this case the show is awkwardly placed for people like us who are just passing through, reports of what shows are like (that I've read) seem quite mixed, and while some people are encouraging others most certainly are not. Overall it's just a lot less hassle to not bother with the show. It's not a big deal.
    OK, going to the SF Pen Show (or any show) may not work out. How about you let us know when you will be around and we can set up a pen club meeting of one sort or another. I'm sure we could get to the level of a mini-pen show for an out of town visitor.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

catbert (November 22nd, 2018), ethernautrix (November 22nd, 2018), jmccarty3 (December 28th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Do the sellers allow the buyers to write test the pens?
    I do. I welcome visitors to my table to write with any of my pens.

But I'm not going to be at the SF pen show next year, so to answer your question, some vendors do allow and some don't but it is always okay for you as the show attendee to ask each vendor whether you can write test their pens or not.

At this rate, reading this and the other thread, I don't think I'll be going either. I'll be in SF and certain there are many alternative attractions with which to occupy our time.
    Okay I'm confused now, what exactly I said above that contributed to you deciding not to go to the pen show?
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Nothing, I was merely following the theme of not going.

Thanks

What are Americans like? We're all fat and carry guns.
    If you end up in San Francisco, you'll be in one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the States, and most people more-or-less speak English.
    Have fun!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Sid the Cat For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (December 18th, 2018)

Thanks

Hah! I was already aware that most Americans speak an approximation of English (this is the eternal English-US jibe of course!)

Anyway, it will be good to stopover and stretch the old legs. No doubt we will meet some wonderful Americans among the throngs of tourists!

Given that we will most likely only have a couple of whole days, any "must do/see/experience" things we should know about? (Of course, I could look some of this up online, but hearing first-hand accounts can often lead to more interesting adventures in my experience)
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; December 18th, 2018 at 05:40 PM.

Thanks

Given that we will most likely only have a couple of whole days, any "must do/see/experience" things we should know about? (Of course, I could look some of this up online, but hearing first-hand accounts can often lead to more interesting adventures in my experience)
    Have an Irish coffee at the place that put them on the map, The Buena Vista. Then walk out the front door and take in Alcatraz in the harbour.

Ride a streetcar to Coit Tower. Take in the vista and the art inside. Walk down Telegraph Hill among the small old houses and look for some of the famous parrots among the trees.

Head over to Pier 39. Eat chowder out of a SF sourdough bread bowl and then look for the famous sealions basking on rafts in the marina.