Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: First pen show (probably)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Re: First pen show (probably)

I don't have time for a pen show in England (if there was even one on during my trip). Also, considering this is a family visit I don't really have time to meet any pen individuals*. In my previous post I was talking more generally. Bear in mind that it is 12 years since I have been home, so not exactly a regular occurrence!

*again, nobody else has suggested this. I couldn't do so because I don't know anyone, and besides which I am going to be away in the West Country - not exactly pen territory - and will not be visiting any of the major centres.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    On a slightly different slant; if I was heavily interested in vintage pens then I most likely would be more enthusiastic to attend. However, as I live in a country where vintage pens are almost non-existent, this aspect of pens is not really a viable direction in which to proceed. So, because vintage pens are a dead end for me*, I must rely on modern pens.
    With all due respect, I can understand your argument but do not share your conclusion as my experience has been different. I also live in a country where vintage pens are almost non-existent. However 90% of my pens are vintage.

I guess the trick is I don't buy pens on eBay. I have bought my vintage pens from reliable vendors and have returned them when found faulty or not to my liking. It's a bit more expensive but makes for a lot less problems!
    Last edited by carlos.q; June 17th, 2019 at 08:56 AM. Reason: grammar

Thanks

Fair point. Here there are a lot of factors that may cause problems. For example, long delivery times and high postal costs (depending on vendor and location - but most locations for me are US and UK, so a long way to go). Together with this I've never had much of an instinct for who to go with (there are one or two people I know of, that's all). And of course buying vintage pens, in my mind at least, should be about discovery in the market place rather than simply what one can afford to pay.

That our conclusions are different does not invalidate either of them.

Further to this, education plays a big role. Relatively recently I spotted what I thought was an unusual model of a vintage brand. As I was unsure in my assessment I brought it to the attention of a member here who I know collects this brand. They snapped it up immediately! Of course, you could say this is a nice thing for me to do for a fellow member, but on the other hand I missed out on getting something unique too. The gap in knowledge of vintage pens makes every purchase a real gamble.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; June 22nd, 2019 at 09:57 PM.

Thanks

Just to revive an old favourite thread.

I should be flying from Manchester to SF on Thursday, and plan to visit the SF Pen Show on Saturday 24th. If you see a strange person / particularly handsome young man in leather trousers that are held up by leather braces (I believe they are called suspenders in the USA), please feel free to say hello.

No, I am not into the leather scene. I am hiring a motorbike after the weekend and riding round California for a couple of weeks.

See you there!

Roger (RWS)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RWS View Post
    No, I am not into the leather scene. I am hiring a motorbike after the weekend and riding round California for a couple of weeks.
    Capital idea! That may be the one thing that outdoes the pen show. I'll keep an eye out for you.

BTW, you probably already have an itinerary, but you could do a lot worse than heading north out of the Bay area and taking in the scenery of the No. California coastline on Highway 1. I was recently doing just that on a quick trip:

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (August 26th, 2019), Pendragon (August 25th, 2019), RWS (August 21st, 2019)

Thanks

Hello Jon,

Yes indeed, North on Hwy 1 to Ferndale, inland to Redding, Lake Tauoe, Lee Vinning, Yosemite, back to the coast at San Sebastian, Monterey, back to SF. Note that I have chosen to travel North on Hwy 1, so I am not right on the edge and likely to be blown off the road on the exposed sections.

I doubt whether my tourist snaps will be as good as your picture though.

Look forward to meeting you at the show.

Roger

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RWS For This Useful Post:

Pendragon (August 25th, 2019)

Thanks

I have done almost all those roads over the years- but on a bicycle. You can't go wrong.

About the wind here- it comes out of the northwest, off the ocean, going north on 1 you'll be in a headwind. Not that it will make a difference, you have a motor :-)

I should be at the show saturday, I'll look for you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyG For This Useful Post:

Pendragon (August 25th, 2019)

Thanks

It's a long time since I was on pedal power. There is nthing more demoralising than riding into a headwind all day.

650cc of Japanese V-twin makes all the difference.

See you on Saturday.
    Roger

Thanks

The organizers of the SF Pen Show show are bona fide fountain pen gods. Man, the place was packed like a can of sardines! To say it is successful would be a huge understatement. Lots of exhibitors, lots of really nice people, and about 8 million pens. Pen shows = super useful + fun to attend. Super easy access for both locals and those coming in from out of town, as well. The pen show special discounts are great, too! I scored a very nice Nakabayashi Logical Prime notebook and Girologio pen case for less than $35. Wow, top quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    BTW, you probably already have an itinerary, but you could do a lot worse than heading north out of the Bay area and taking in the scenery of the No. California coastline on Highway 1. I was recently doing just that on a quick trip:
    That is an excellent photo, and a perfect example of the beautiful Northern California coastline. Where was that picture taken?

Quote Originally Posted by RWS View Post
    Yes indeed, North on Hwy 1 to Ferndale, inland to Redding, Lake Tauoe, Lee Vinning, Yosemite, back to the coast at San Sebastian, Monterey, back to SF. Note that I have chosen to travel North on Hwy 1, so I am not right on the edge and likely to be blown off the road on the exposed sections.
    The drive up Highway 1 is so awesome, it won't really make that much difference. You certainly chose a very scenic route.

For many years, I used to drive up the coast this time of the year. Often amazing, always beautiful, and there are interesting towns and side trips along the way. For example, Annapolis Winery (http://www.annapoliswinery.com/) is about 10 miles inland from Sea Ranch, itself a cool and trippy place. @Empty_of_Clouds or anyone else, if you are ever in Northern California, I highly recommend a drive up Highway 1 north of San Francisco. It really is that amazing, and just like Jon's photo. There are times when it is like an incredible scene out of a fantasy novel.

An alternate route is to go up 101 north to River Road (just north of Santa Rosa), and head through the Russian River Valley to the coast. You get a drive through redwood forests and then the coast. There are a many wineries along the Russian River, and also some great brewpubs and craft breweries. If you don't ride a motorcycle, then perhaps rent a Jeep Wrangler, preferably with a convertible top.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    The organizers of the SF Pen Show show are bona fide fountain pen gods. Man, the place was packed like a can of sardines! To say it is successful would be a huge understatement.
    I just got back to San Diego after the 8-hour drive (probably would have been 30 minutes less had it not been for traffic in God-forsaken LA...).

But holy hell, what a GREAT show this year. I've been attending SF since Todd, Ricky and Syd took over the show a few years ago, and I thought last year it topped out. Man, it was so rocking this year, it was insane. Including the fact that I missed a bunch of people, like RWS and Pendragon. Just so many people happening, especially on Saturday. I'm definitely going to do a recap but it will be a few days. I also am going to have to pull some photos from other sources as I didn't do enough but... wow. I don't know what can happen next year, they have almost completely maxed out the facility! I'm exhausted and yet totally wired.

That is an excellent photo, and a perfect example of the beautiful Northern California coastline. Where was that picture taken?
    That is just at a pullout just barely north of Stewarts Point, north of Bodega Bay.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 26th, 2019), Lady Onogaro (August 26th, 2019), Pendragon (August 26th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

But holy hell, what a GREAT show this year.
    Are you richer or poorer for the experience?

That is just at a pullout just barely north of Stewarts Point, north of Bodega Bay.
    See any birds?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Are you richer or poorer for the experience?
    Yes.

See any birds?
    Not in scary numbers!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I just got back to San Diego after the 8-hour drive (probably would have been 30 minutes less had it not been for traffic in God-forsaken LA...).

But holy hell, what a GREAT show this year. I've been attending SF since Todd, Ricky and Syd took over the show a few years ago, and I thought last year it topped out. Man, it was so rocking this year, it was insane. Including the fact that I missed a bunch of people, like RWS and Pendragon. Just so many people happening, especially on Saturday. I'm definitely going to do a recap but it will be a few days. I also am going to have to pull some photos from other sources as I didn't do enough but... wow. I don't know what can happen next year, they have almost completely maxed out the facility! I'm exhausted and yet totally wired.
    I was thinking the same thing. Not only was the main exhibition room completely maxed out, so were the little room and alcove in front of it. The show even spilled out a wee bit into the hallway in front. Amazing! The place was so jam packed that it would be hard to find anyone. It is almost certain that additional space will be needed for next year's show.

I am lucky to live very close by, and so did not have to do the exhausted part. Hope you recover from your long journey, and look forward to reading your recap when you do.

If it is the Stewarts Point I am thinking of, it is a hamlet way north of Bodega Bay, not so far from Sea Ranch. That whole stretch of coastline is just amazing.
    Last edited by Pendragon; August 26th, 2019 at 04:10 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    The place was so jam packed that it would be hard to find anyone. It is almost certain that additional space will be needed for next year's show.
    Syd, one of the show organizers, has already said they spoke with the hotel and are adding 1000+ sq ft of additional space next year. They are aware of the perils of a successful show!

If it is the Stewarts Point I am thinking of, it is a hamlet way north of Bodega Bay, not so far from Sea Ranch. That whole stretch of coastline is just amazing.
    My bad. It is further north, just south of Sea Ranch. Every inch of that coast is so wild.

~ Benjamin Franklin

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Pendragon (August 26th, 2019)

Thanks

Currently in Jenner, after a very hot ride up the Napa valley, then down the Russian River valley. Looking forward to the ride up the coast tomorrow. Very misty on the coast though. Hope it clears in the morning.

I called in the SF Lamy store on Sunday. They were offering 20% off everything, but couldn't tempt me. The young man in the store was very knowledgeable. Really interested in his pens.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWS For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (August 26th, 2019), Pendragon (August 27th, 2019)

Thanks

They have a Lamy store in San Francisco? That might be worth a visit. You have willpower to pass up 20% off.

Napa does get pretty hot, especially this time of year. The fog often comes in on the coast during the evening, but usually burns off by about 10 am or noon at the latest. About 15 miles north of Jenner you will see Fort Ross right by the highway. It is an interesting example of Russian colonization in the early 1800s, and worth a visit if you are into that sort of thing. There used to be good abalone diving around there, too, but the season has been closed for a couple of years now.

Happy Trails!
    Last edited by Pendragon; August 27th, 2019 at 01:01 AM.

Thanks

Have arrived home in New Zealand.

Of the UK portion of our travels I will say little, as this was a personal trip for family reasons.

For the rest, in brief.

Singapore: hot, damn hot in fact. Every. Day.

In general, if you are visiting, bring a big hat! And don't bother going to Sentosa island unless you are a fan of the Disney grotesquerie.

Food: tons of it everywhere, all good, something for every palate as well as the adventurous.

Pens: Parker, Waterman, Lamy, Cross and Montblanc can be found in most malls, usually in a department store rather than a specific pen shop.

The Fook Hing Trading Co. has a reasonable selection of pens - the usual luxury suspects - and it was here that I first got my hands on a modern Aurora. The 88 is quite a modest size, though nicely balanced when posted, and I would buy one in a heartbeat (there's one colourway that really attracted me) if I could justify spending so much on just a pen (if I sold everything else I may be tempted). Also fondled a Dani trio (don't recall the model, but I think it may have been a Genkai). Very nice too!

Aesthetic Bay was interesting. The owner was really sweet, but his English is very poor and so communication was awkward. As a result I didn't hang around for long, which was disappointing. I did handle a few Nakaya pens, but eschewed everything else in the shop (wanted to hold the larger Pelikans for instance) because of the language barrier. Regarding Nakaya, in my opinion the basic lacquer work is not worth the $650 starting price. It is not so very different from the way kitchenware is lacquered; it feels and looks the same to me, and thus deters. The more interesting finishes, on the other hand, like the stoneware ishime, are perhaps more suitable to such pricing and above. The dorsal fins were interesting, but not as it turned out enough to sway me. All the Nakaya pens I handled were incredibly light, and this is by no means a criticism of them, but often the nibs looked disproportionately small to my eyes and tastes.

I bought no pens, inks, or stationery.

Oh, and Singapore is hot. Did I mention that?

ps. On our last day (return trip to NZ), we noticed the notorious Chilean barquentine (four-mast tall ship) - the Esmerelda - was in port. The ship is now used as a naval training vessel (as opposed to General Pinochet's floating torture chamber). Anyway, we were allowed aboard so we took a look. Beautiful vessel, despite its dark past.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

azkid (September 14th, 2019)

Thanks

Pen shows are Awesome! The one I go to also has the aspect of a pop-up museum in that it is in a large metropolitan area and a lot of people come just to look at the pens. There is early admission on Friday which is great because you get first pick AND it is mainly only pen geeks at that time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Glad you're back OK and sounds like you had quite an adventure. The last few years I more often than not wilt like a delicate flower in too much heat. I do kind of look forward to food as a major part of travel. I have a feeling I'd love that place... In winter.

Thanks

Oh yes, in Winter the temperature drops dramatically from 33 degrees Celsius (average Summer temp) to 31 degrees. Makes all the difference! Actually, a great deal of the eating can be had in aircon places, so it's not too bad. Note that humidity is often high though, which in my opinion makes it feel a lot hotter.