Thread: Esterbrook was revived?

Thanks

Default Esterbrook was revived?

I was poking around the internet and tumbled across this article. http://blog.andersonpens.com/pen-rev...j-series-pens/

Does anyone know what has happened since the review?

Thanks

Default Re: Esterbrook was revived?

That Esterbrook continued to make shitty overpriced Chinese pens until earlier this year. Kenro pens (the US distributor for Aurora & Montegrappa) bought the rights to Esterbrook, and just recently released the Esterbrook Estie, which is more in line with the original J series. It's pricey, but much higher quality, and has an adapter to take original J series nibs.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sgtstretch For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 29th, 2018)

Thanks

Can't comment on current Esterbrook production - never held one - but I read people prefer the Moonman M100 over the pricier Estie

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

I saw the new "Estie" in person, it's a modern pen without any traces of what makes vintage Esterbrook so endearing.

Yes, the nib adapter is a nod in the right direction, but the pen itself is practically indistinguishable from other cigar-shaped acrylic pens.

And we haven't even get to their pricing model, which confuse me even more.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

6. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 29th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Yes, the nib adapter is a nod in the right direction, but the pen itself is practically indistinguishable from other cigar-shaped acrylic pens.

And we haven't even get to their pricing model, which confuse me even more.
    Arguably, had the original Esterbrook company survived, and given that cigar-shaped acrylic pens are becoming so ubiquitous, they might well have been producing exactly that themselves. But the pricing, yeah, I really don't see what they're trying to do there. It reminds me of the recent Manuscript "1856" effort at an acrylic higher-end FP. The theory's nice, but certain brands just aren't associated with higher prices, and no-one's much willing to pay them however good the product may be.

I should probably confess that I find vintage Esterbrooks rather over-rated*, and certainly over here in Blightly, ridiculously over-priced, so I may be taking a more sanguine view of the whole thing than true devotees of the brand.

*Don't throw things. Please.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

Elim (October 30th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    Arguably, had the original Esterbrook company survived, and given that cigar-shaped acrylic pens are becoming so ubiquitous, they might well have been producing exactly that themselves.
    *Don't throw things. Please.
    First of all, we're just discussing this as an observer, so no argument here

Regarding whether Esterbrook **might** eventually produce a cigar-shaped pen or not, I think, at least the way I see it, is not an excuse for not at least giving a little visual cues as an homage to the most popular model of the brand, the Esterbrook J.

Let's take the modern Wahl Decoband for example. That pen is easily 2x the size of the original vintage one, with different material, and internal parts. But just at a glance you will recognize and understand why that modern pen is called "Wahl Decoband". It contributed to why the buyers love it even though it's a $800 pen.

Now, one thing I will give Kenro the benefit of the doubt, is that they may purposely want to come up with a different look, because it wasn't their intention to celebrate the vintage Esterbrook models. The pen collector in me may wish it, but that doesn't mean they are obligated to it.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

10. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

kevmid (November 1st, 2018)