Thread: Pics from Scriptus Toronto 2018

Thanks

Default Pics from Scriptus Toronto 2018

I was pleased to attend my first pen show yesterday, the fifth annual Scriptus Toronto show!

Normally when I write a show review, I add a few comments to each pic. I am not in the best position to do that here as I am still a bit of a newbie to pens. Also, the show was not really set up in a way that is conducive to one of my style of show reviews, for example if it would have been organized by brand (I have done TONS of reviews for gun, knife, car, motorcycle, boat etc. shows). With that said, I will make a few overall comments and then give you a “data dump” of pictures.

Again, with this being my first pen show I did not know what to expect. I know from attending shows for my other hobbies that it is best not to go in looking for something very specific as you might end up disappointed, and instead be open to “surprises.” Still, I couldn’t help having a mental list of “grail” pens that I was hoping to find lol. For example, as you will see in my pics, I am a big Visconti fan so I did hunt down as many as I could find but alas, did not see any of the ones on my “list”.

Overall, I would say the show seemed to be more skewed to older or should I say “vintage” pens. While there were several dealers present, it felt more like a “swap meet” than a “trade show.” I have visited some of the stores of these dealers and it seemed to me that they did not bring their latest and greatest (or highest end) stock. I hope I am not coming across as too negative, it is just that as a newbie, I am more familiar with the newest model pens that appear on manufacturer’s websites and don’t quite know what to look for in vintages. I am sure connoisseurs would have found some treasures. Some of my show favourites included the Bvlgari, Graf von Faber-Castell Bentley, and Montblanc 149 shown in my pics.

There were also lots of accessories and inks (including lineups and a bit of buzz around new and limited releases) but I was surprised that I couldn’t find anything from the Noodler’s Ink brand. Next time I will do more research on inks before attending.

So without further ado, here are the pics…

Thanks

Default Re: Pics from Scriptus Toronto 2018

Thanks

RL

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

First of all, thank you for sharing your photos.

Regarding your comment:

> Overall, I would say the show seemed to be more skewed to older or should I say “vintage” pens.

That is how most pen shows are. Since the first time I attended a pen show, I realized that I'm missing a lot of gems and fun if I don't get into the vintage side.

What doesn't help is the attitude of a lot of vintage pens vendors, they seem to just be content displaying their collection and just sit around, seemingly oblivious that a lot of the visitors are beginners in the hobby and would need a bit of explanation to start appreciating the deeper nuances of the hobby (especially the vintage pens).

So in the end, the beginners don't get the information that could let them enjoy more of the hobby, and some vendors complain that they don't get enough "traffic".

- Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

thanks....you know i read the LA Pen show thread above after i posted my review and i saw a lot of similarities. There was something about the show that i couldnt put my finger on but i think i have figured it out. I go to about 20 shows/events per year so have gotten used to certain things, one of which is good signage/labels. For example, at a knife show, there might be 10-20 knives on a given knifemakers table and each one will be labelled with basic info like model name, steel type, blade length and price. At the pen show, you can have leather cases with hundreds of pens on a table NONE of which have ANY info...no brand, year of manufacture, nib type, and PRICE! At a minimum they could be organized into groups with big signs like "Vintage Montblanc" "Classic Conklins" "Hommage to Omas" but nope, no rhyme or reason to the piles of pens. This makes for a less enjoyable experience for showgoers and less likelihood to make a sale, in my opinion.

RL

Thanks

How was the new Estie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RL1 View Post
    At the pen show, you can have leather cases with hundreds of pens on a table NONE of which have ANY info...no brand, year of manufacture, nib type, and PRICE! At a minimum they could be organized into groups with big signs like "Vintage Montblanc" "Classic Conklins" "Hommage to Omas" but nope, no rhyme or reason to the piles of pens. This makes for a less enjoyable experience for showgoers and less likelihood to make a sale, in my opinion.

RL
    I am a relatively new vendor at pen shows, and 90% of what I bring to the table are vintage pens. Although I don't label each and everyone of my pens, I do (as you suggested at the minimum) group them so in less than 10 seconds I can tell those who visited what to expect at my table.

But for the most part this works because I stood there and engage passerby. I don't think I would have made a single transaction if I just sit and wait for questions.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wingwiper View Post
    How was the new Estie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I assume you mean the Esterbrook? lol...well there was certainly lots of buzz about it...i overheard people talking about it while i was waiting in line to get in and of course there was the signage and multiple displays. Although i took pics, i did not look at them up close (I did not handle them)....they did look nice.

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post

I am a relatively new vendor at pen shows, and 90% of what I bring to the table are vintage pens. Although I don't label each and everyone of my pens, I do (as you suggested at the minimum) group them so in less than 10 seconds I can tell those who visited what to expect at my table.

But for the most part this works because I stood there and engage passerby. I don't think I would have made a single transaction if I just sit and wait for questions.
    as a show goer, thank you. in addition to grouping, it is important to have signage too (labelling each group).

Again, upon further reflection, another disadvantage is that as a show-goer you cant stand in one spot and look at every single pen in a case of 100 while there is a crowd around you..i mean every person would have to spend half an hour at every table lol.

RL