Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 79

Thread: Mystery Ink #22

  1. #21
    Senior Member Sailor Kenshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Where pigs run free!
    Posts
    2,450
    Thanks
    2,774
    Thanked 1,521 Times in 822 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #22

    I tried MI 22 on Staples Bagasse paper (in a letter), and it has that same light gray look as yours. Interesting!

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

    KKay (November 18th, 2018)

  3. #22
    Senior Member KKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    701
    Thanks
    2,238
    Thanked 287 Times in 195 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #22

    Yes, it was lighter on that paper than other papers I tried it on for some reason.

  4. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    926
    Thanks
    206
    Thanked 790 Times in 343 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #22

    I guess I need to use this on some other papers. I've been using my normal Apica notebook for my sample and review and the ink is darker and dries very quickly.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

    KKay (November 19th, 2018)

  6. #24
    Senior Member azkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    837
    Thanks
    1,387
    Thanked 685 Times in 323 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #22

    I just tried it on one of my Apica notebooks. Took a lot less time to dry. I didn't time it but it was still long compared to my other inks. I need to try a drier pen I guess.

    Edit: surprisingly fast dry times on Clairefontaine Vélin Velouté. More hard starting too. Minimal feathering.
    Last edited by azkid; November 19th, 2018 at 09:54 AM.

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

    KKay (November 19th, 2018), Pterodactylus (November 19th, 2018), Scooby921 (November 19th, 2018)

  8. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    926
    Thanks
    206
    Thanked 790 Times in 343 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #22

    I'm early this time!

    Pen:
    Montblanc 145 / Chopin with medium cursive italic

    Paper:
    Apica Notepad
    Rhodia Meeting Notebook
    Black n' Red Notebook
    Clairefontaine 1951 Notepad

    As noted in my written review below I believe the pen had another ink dried up in the feed which I didn't get completely cleaned out after a previous inking. The mystery ink did get darker after a few sentences and was consistently darker thereafter. On the Apica paper (uncoated, very absorbent) it was dry in under 10 seconds (for me). This pen isn't necessarily a wet writer. It's tuned to be somewhere in the middle, but I do write with a heavier hand which tends to put more ink on the paper than most others. Thus I'm surprised that people are seeing longer dry times on absorbent paper than what I get with a medium nib and heavy hand. On coated papers I do concur with others. The dry time is excessively long...60+ seconds. This is entirely unacceptable for a daily use ink which needs to be dry before you turn the page in the notebook. It is not out of character for this brand though as I have another ink from this manufacturer which acts similarly and never dries.










    I let the water soak for several seconds, then blotted with a napkin, and without removing it from the page gave it a wipe. Ink stayed, paper got soft and started to fall apart.








    Phone camera white balance is terrible as this is white paper and photographed at the same time, under the same light as all of the other pics.

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

    azkid (November 20th, 2018), KKay (November 19th, 2018), Pterodactylus (November 19th, 2018)

  10. #26
    Senior Member FredRydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    2,159
    Thanks
    408
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 917 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #22

    This looks good enough to buy!

  11. #27
    Senior Member Pterodactylus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    2,041
    Thanks
    793
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 758 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #22

    Looks interesting, unfortunately I did not received the sample yet.
    I guess the Austrian customs holding it again, as an ink sample from a sender in the US is obviously a really suspicious and dangerous good, which has to be examined for a long time.

    Looking forward every day to get it and test it.

  12. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    926
    Thanks
    206
    Thanked 790 Times in 343 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #22

    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Looks interesting, unfortunately I did not received the sample yet.
    I guess the Austrian customs holding it again, as an ink sample from a sender in the US is obviously a really suspicious and dangerous good, which has to be examined for a long time.

    Looking forward every day to get it and test it.
    I will dig around when I get home and send you the tracking number. The postal service hasn't logged any of my online shipments / purchases to my account since July. For older shipments I can click links and find tracking numbers. Not for this one. Luckily I printed the label too large the first time and had to print a second one, so I do have a copy of the customs / tracking number somewhere in the trash bin at home.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

    Pterodactylus (November 19th, 2018)

  14. #29
    Senior Member KKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    701
    Thanks
    2,238
    Thanked 287 Times in 195 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #22

    Scooby, I did find that the ink was darker for me on Tomoe River paper, but not nearly as dark as some of your writing. I did slightly shake the ink as usual, before I filled the pen. I had some decent shading with this ink too, on the non-absorbent paper. When I first used it, it reminded me of Fog Grey by DeAtramentis. I had a sample of it from a good while back. The last ink that was in the pen I used was a sample of Baltic Memories by KWZ. (I had cleaned the pen and stored it) When I got the sample from you, I filled it in that same stub pen. When it showed lighter gray on the Maruman Mnemosyne, it reminded me of Lexington Gray. My Lexington Gray is darker than this sample though. My sample did leak, so maybe I am not getting a full representation of the proper ink color.

  15. #30
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    4,796
    Thanks
    2,118
    Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,524 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #22

    Thank you for sending me this ink sample Scooby. So far I've only written with MI#22 on my Rhodia DotPad.

    I see the brownish tinge, but it's still just another grey ink for me. Notably very wet and takes a long time to dry, but also waterproof. It's not a brand I regularly use, but my first guess would be that it might be made by De Atramentis.

    MI#22.jpeg
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    KKay (November 20th, 2018), Pterodactylus (November 20th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (November 20th, 2018), Scooby921 (November 20th, 2018)

  17. #31
    Senior Member azkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    837
    Thanks
    1,387
    Thanked 685 Times in 323 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #22

    Great reviews! This has been a fun one for me. I find this ink bewitching. I want it to work better on all my paper.

    I feel this could be GvFC Stone Grey looking through some reviews. The color and range of shades and dry times puts it in the realm of plausibility.

    It actually works just fine on my dot pad bullet journals so I ended up using it for work yesterday. The hard starting is quite frustrating, however.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

    KKay (November 20th, 2018)

  19. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    926
    Thanks
    206
    Thanked 790 Times in 343 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #22

    Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Great reviews! This has been a fun one for me. I find this ink bewitching. I want it to work better on all my paper.

    I feel this could be GvFC Stone Grey looking through some reviews. The color and range of shades and dry times puts it in the realm of plausibility.

    It actually works just fine on my dot pad bullet journals so I ended up using it for work yesterday. The hard starting is quite frustrating, however.
    I find the hard starts an interesting problem. I've had the ink in my pen for several weeks now, and even after sitting for a few days unused over a weekend I haven't had issues with hard starts. I have noticed the ink coming out almost oily though, like it doesn't want to stick to the paper. I marked it down as hand oils on top of coated paper (black n' red pad) making it difficult for the nib and ink to develop any friction and coax the ink out of the pen. This was only an issue on the lower half of a page where my hand was resting while writing on the top half. I haven't encountered this at all with the uncoated Apica paper used for the majority of my review. I'll have to spend a bit more time with this pen, ink, and a coated paper.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

    KKay (November 20th, 2018)

  21. #33
    Senior Member Pterodactylus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    2,041
    Thanks
    793
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 758 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #22

    Scooby, does it look like this?

    Noodlers_response_06 by Ptero Pterodactylus, auf Flickr

    Noodlers_response_03 by Ptero Pterodactylus, auf Flickr

    And result finally in something like this if you touch the writing?

    Noodlers_response_05 by Ptero Pterodactylus, auf Flickr


    These things I observe with Noodler’s Apache Sunset and Golden Brown after letting them sit in a pen for a longer time (typically 3-4 weeks).
    These Noodler’s inks turn into a oily sticky fluid (can´t call this ink anymore),which still writes, but will never ever dry on the paper anymore.

    I only observed such quality issues with the mentioned Noodler’s inks (I don’t know if this happens also with other Noodler’s inks if you let them sit unused in a pen for several weeks as I do not have many Noodler’s inks), I never saw something extreme like this with inks from other manufacturers.

    So if what you observe is similar to what you see above, then I would immediately guess that the MI22 ink is a Noodler’s ink despite I don’t even received the sample yet.
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; November 20th, 2018 at 02:51 PM.

  22. #34
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    4,796
    Thanks
    2,118
    Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,524 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #22

    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Great reviews! This has been a fun one for me. I find this ink bewitching. I want it to work better on all my paper.

    I feel this could be GvFC Stone Grey looking through some reviews. The color and range of shades and dry times puts it in the realm of plausibility.

    It actually works just fine on my dot pad bullet journals so I ended up using it for work yesterday. The hard starting is quite frustrating, however.
    I find the hard starts an interesting problem. I've had the ink in my pen for several weeks now, and even after sitting for a few days unused over a weekend I haven't had issues with hard starts. I have noticed the ink coming out almost oily though, like it doesn't want to stick to the paper. I marked it down as hand oils on top of coated paper (black n' red pad) making it difficult for the nib and ink to develop any friction and coax the ink out of the pen. This was only an issue on the lower half of a page where my hand was resting while writing on the top half. I haven't encountered this at all with the uncoated Apica paper used for the majority of my review. I'll have to spend a bit more time with this pen, ink, and a coated paper.
    I didn't experience a hard start either, and after reading the reviews that were already on this thread, I left my ink fill in the pen for 24 hours before writing with it. However, I have experienced the hard start problem you describe, on the lower half of an A4 sheet of Tomoe River paper, when I'm writing on the top half and resting my hand on the lower half. I sometimes add a random piece of paper to rest my hand on for that reason.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    KKay (November 20th, 2018)

  24. #35
    Senior Member azkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    837
    Thanks
    1,387
    Thanked 685 Times in 323 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #22

    Btw, what I am calling hard starting is that ink is reluctant to flow when first starting a stroke, regardless of how long ago ink last flowed from the nib (be it half a second or a day).

    One pen may be partly to blame. The other hasn't had any issues with any of several other inks I have tried. This makes me think that the ink is at least partly to blame.

    Theory: surface tension may be pulling it up into the nib and away from the paper more than do other inks that tend to cling to and spread across surfaces to a greater degree.

  25. #36
    Senior Member Sailor Kenshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Where pigs run free!
    Posts
    2,450
    Thanks
    2,774
    Thanked 1,521 Times in 822 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #22

    I note that MI 22 was impossible to completely clean from my pipette, though to be fair, I had let it stand overnight in water.

  26. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    926
    Thanks
    206
    Thanked 790 Times in 343 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #22

    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Scooby, does it look like this?

    Noodlers_response_06 by Ptero Pterodactylus, auf Flickr

    Noodlers_response_03 by Ptero Pterodactylus, auf Flickr

    And result finally in something like this if you touch the writing?

    Noodlers_response_05 by Ptero Pterodactylus, auf Flickr


    These things I observe with Noodler’s Apache Sunset and Golden Brown after letting them sit in a pen for a longer time (typically 3-4 weeks).
    These Noodler’s inks turn into a oily sticky fluid (can´t call this ink anymore),which still writes, but will never ever dry on the paper anymore.

    I only observed such quality issues with the mentioned Noodler’s inks (I don’t know if this happens also with other Noodler’s inks if you let them sit unused in a pen for several weeks as I do not have many Noodler’s inks), I never saw something extreme like this with inks from other manufacturers.

    So if what you observe is similar to what you see above, then I would immediately guess that the MI22 ink is a Noodler’s ink despite I don’t even received the sample yet.
    No, a better description is like oil on water sort of floating and more droplet-like than the thicker oil-based paint thickness you get from the Noodlers. I think it's actually a case of water on oil as it may be the oils from my hand rubbed onto the paper (lower half of page) and the ink beads up because it can't soak into the page.

    Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Btw, what I am calling hard starting is that ink is reluctant to flow when first starting a stroke, regardless of how long ago ink last flowed from the nib (be it half a second or a day).

    One pen may be partly to blame. The other hasn't had any issues with any of several other inks I have tried. This makes me think that the ink is at least partly to blame.

    Theory: surface tension may be pulling it up into the nib and away from the paper more than do other inks that tend to cling to and spread across surfaces to a greater degree.
    That is what I consider a hard start. Can be the ink or the pen. Sometimes it's every stroke. Sometimes it's the first lettter of every sentence. Sometimes it's only the first word of the day after sitting over night. My Montblanc as a medium round nib was good until I found one ink which gave me hard start issues. The ink was fine in other pens, but unique enough to showcase the baby's bottom on the tip of the MB nib. I fixed the baby's bottom with a cursive italic grind. Organics Studio inks are a different story. Those dry up in the feed and prevent flow, causing increasingly worse hard starts until you need water on the nib to reconstitute the ink to get it to flow. Definitely an ink issue. Plenty of experiences between the two extremes.

    I wasn't intending to say you're wrong or calling it something else. It's a phenomenon I haven't yet experienced with this ink. Thus I'm intrigued.
    Last edited by Scooby921; November 26th, 2018 at 07:43 PM.

  27. #38
    Senior Member azkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    837
    Thanks
    1,387
    Thanked 685 Times in 323 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #22

    No worries, I just wanted to offer my definition in case I was misusing the term.

    It is an interesting ink to be sure. I'll bet I can find a pen or two that don't have hard starts with this ink.

  28. #39
    Senior Member Pterodactylus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    2,041
    Thanks
    793
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 758 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #22

    Today I received the MI22 sample.

    I’m currently preparing my first sample.

    I‘ve inked up a Montblanc Noblesse with a Medium nib.
    The first scribbling showed me a very nice graphite like grey ink.
    I would compare it to a soft graphite pencil.

    I scribbled on Clairefontaine 90gsm paper and also noticed the longer dry time.
    But it seems to be a really well behaving ink on the first look.
    I do observe neither bleeding nor feathering nor show through on Clairefontaine..... I like it

    My first sample that I‘m currently preparing is of course a sketch.
    And there I noticed something unusual.
    I‘ve mixed MI22 with water to get some different grey tones.
    But already after quite a short time period pigment particles fell out of suspension (with the deluted ink).
    I never observed something like that in that form with other inks.
    If you stir the deluted ink it will get into suspension again for a short period of time.
    It seems that the water can’t hold the ink ingredients in suspension.

    Could it be that MI22 is not a dye based ink but a pigmented ink?

    I also observed a light blue component of the ink, shown in the drawing when washed as well as in the Sediment of the deluted Ink.... looks imho quite pretty.

    First when I saw it in my drawing I thought I maybe did not cleaned my pen well enough and it‘s a remaining of an previous ink in that pen, but It‘s also clearly visible in the deluted ink (only with water).
    So this ink clearly has a light blue component.
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; November 27th, 2018 at 03:56 PM.

  29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

    KKay (November 27th, 2018), Scooby921 (November 28th, 2018)

  30. #40
    Senior Member Pterodactylus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    2,041
    Thanks
    793
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 758 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #22

    Ok, now I´ve taken some macro shots from my used porcelain palette.

    First the undeluted mystery ink #22:

    Undeluted Mystery Ink #22


    We see also here on the planes where it is already drying clearly the light blue.


    Second the with a bit water deluted mystery ink #22:

    Deluted Mystery Ink #22


    This is my favorite shot, you can clearly see the black and blue sedimentation.


    And third mystery ink #22 even more deluted (a lot of water and only little ink):

    Even more deluted Mystery Ink#22


    Here we see again the sediments when the water can´t hold the ink ingredients in suspension.

  31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

    azkid (November 28th, 2018), KKay (November 27th, 2018), Scooby921 (November 28th, 2018), suzy01 (December 1st, 2018)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •