Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Newbie to this forum, new Sailor PG Slim acquisition

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Newbie to this forum, new Sailor PG Slim acquisition

    Made my first relatively high end purchase after a few months of reading here on FPGeeks and FPN (amongst many other review sites).

    So far am utterly thrilled with my new Sailor Pro Gear Slim which is a very nice accompaniment to the vintage pens I’ve inherited from family members over the years. Mainly old Parker 45s, Sheaffers and Cross’ along with the others below.

    The 14k MF nib is the perfect size on the page and has just enough line variation and feedback on all types of paper (from creamy Clairefontaine and Rhodia papers I have at home to the crappy office notebooks I use at work). Size of the pen in hand also feels good to me posted and unposted.

    The owner of the shop I got it at (The Pen Shoppe, Brisbane Arcade) even threw in a 12 pack of Sailor Seiboku cartridges for free (which was a nice touch as she knows that I love using Sailor’s Kiwaguro bottled ink).

    After thinking about getting a Mont Blanc 146, I’m glad that I took the more affordable option this time around.




    Top: Sailor Pro Gear Slim, rhodium trim, 14k MF nib
    Middle: Parker 75 20 micron gold-filled Ciselé (Meru manufactured, likely 1970s vintage), 14k M nib. I also have the matching ballpoint in the set which works as well as any ballpoint can, but is utterly devoid of personality on the page.
    Bottom: Sheaffer Targa Cross-Hatch, 10k gold electroplated, 14kt M inlaid nib (the very first family pen that I used after years of using Lamy Safari’s and AL-star’s).


    Another vintage pen I got back into service last weekend, inherited from my late grandfather. From the internet sleuthing I’ve done, it appears to be a Platinum homage to a Parker 51 with an Extra Fine nib (have seen it referenced as a Platinum President before but have no idea what its actual model name is). There are no markings on the barrel, cap or nib apart from the old Platinum logo of a circle with S * N inside at the top of the clip). The line on this is super fine and seems to have that trademark feedback on paper that current Platinum nibs have.

    Turns out that it just needed a change of ink (from Noodler’s Bulletproof Black to LAMY Blue) along with some light adjustment of the tines in order to eliminate the hard starts I was experiencing most of the time with it.

    Also have a Cross Century gold filled with a 14k broad nib that I pressed into action, but quickly stopped using it as I was not liking the line thickness of the broad nib on the page even though it was buttery smooth while writing.

    Looking forward to sticking around FPGeeks to work out what my next pen will be.

    As much as I don’t want to pick up another Lamy given I have a whole bunch of Safari’s and Vista’s at home, a Lamy 2K in Makrolon is calling out to me.

    As are the Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age, Sailor 1911 King of Pen, Caran d’Ache Léman Grand and even the venerable Mont Blanc 146/149. Hell, even a Conklin Duragraph is calling me too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to thebenedictine For This Useful Post:

    Lady Onogaro (November 1st, 2018)

  3. #2
    Senior Member wingwiper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    236
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 117 Times in 71 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Newbie to this forum, new Sailor PG Slim acquisition

    Quote Originally Posted by thebenedictine View Post
    Made my first relatively high end purchase after a few months of reading here on FPGeeks and FPN (amongst many other review sites).

    So far am utterly thrilled with my new Sailor Pro Gear Slim which is a very nice accompaniment to the vintage pens I’ve inherited from family members over the years. Mainly old Parker 45s, Sheaffers and Cross’ along with the others below.

    The 14k MF nib is the perfect size on the page and has just enough line variation and feedback on all types of paper (from creamy Clairefontaine and Rhodia papers I have at home to the crappy office notebooks I use at work). Size of the pen in hand also feels good to me posted and unposted.

    The owner of the shop I got it at (The Pen Shoppe, Brisbane Arcade) even threw in a 12 pack of Sailor Seiboku cartridges for free (which was a nice touch as she knows that I love using Sailor’s Kiwaguro bottled ink).

    After thinking about getting a Mont Blanc 146, I’m glad that I took the more affordable option this time around.




    Top: Sailor Pro Gear Slim, rhodium trim, 14k MF nib
    Middle: Parker 75 20 micron gold-filled Ciselé (Meru manufactured, likely 1970s vintage), 14k M nib. I also have the matching ballpoint in the set which works as well as any ballpoint can, but is utterly devoid of personality on the page.
    Bottom: Sheaffer Targa Cross-Hatch, 10k gold electroplated, 14kt M inlaid nib (the very first family pen that I used after years of using Lamy Safari’s and AL-star’s).


    Another vintage pen I got back into service last weekend, inherited from my late grandfather. From the internet sleuthing I’ve done, it appears to be a Platinum homage to a Parker 51 with an Extra Fine nib (have seen it referenced as a Platinum President before but have no idea what its actual model name is). There are no markings on the barrel, cap or nib apart from the old Platinum logo of a circle with S * N inside at the top of the clip). The line on this is super fine and seems to have that trademark feedback on paper that current Platinum nibs have.

    Turns out that it just needed a change of ink (from Noodler’s Bulletproof Black to LAMY Blue) along with some light adjustment of the tines in order to eliminate the hard starts I was experiencing most of the time with it.

    Also have a Cross Century gold filled with a 14k broad nib that I pressed into action, but quickly stopped using it as I was not liking the line thickness of the broad nib on the page even though it was buttery smooth while writing.

    Looking forward to sticking around FPGeeks to work out what my next pen will be.

    As much as I don’t want to pick up another Lamy given I have a whole bunch of Safari’s and Vista’s at home, a Lamy 2K in Makrolon is calling out to me.

    As are the Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age, Sailor 1911 King of Pen, Caran d’Ache Léman Grand and even the venerable Mont Blanc 146/149. Hell, even a Conklin Duragraph is calling me too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Congrats......nice collection


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

    thebenedictine (October 29th, 2018)

  5. #3
    Senior Member Robert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    520
    Thanks
    644
    Thanked 268 Times in 193 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Newbie to this forum, new Sailor PG Slim acquisition

    Glad you like the Sailor - very nice pen. But . . . I think I see an MB146 in your future.

    Welcome to FPG.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

    thebenedictine (October 29th, 2018)

  7. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Central Coast, California
    Posts
    100
    Thanks
    170
    Thanked 120 Times in 57 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Newbie to this forum, new Sailor PG Slim acquisition

    Congrats and welcome to the forums! You've got a very nice collection of fountain pens. Be sure you keep the Cross Century in a safe place. After a year or two, some of us gravitate to wider nibs just for the variety in writing.

    All the Best.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

    thebenedictine (October 29th, 2018)

  9. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Newbie to this forum, new Sailor PG Slim acquisition

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Glad you like the Sailor - very nice pen. But . . . I think I see an MB146 in your future.

    Welcome to FPG.
    Thanks for the welcome.

    After trying out a 146 and a 149 next to a Homo Sapiens Bronze Age and a Caran d’Ache Léman Grand, for my money, I think the Visconti and CdA are better value (build quality and nib wise).

    But you may be right if I decide to scratch the MB itch first before going to others...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Newbie to this forum, new Sailor PG Slim acquisition

    Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Congrats and welcome to the forums! You've got a very nice collection of fountain pens. Be sure you keep the Cross Century in a safe place. After a year or two, some of us gravitate to wider nibs just for the variety in writing.

    All the Best.
    I think maybe I need to use that Century out on better quality paper in order to appreciate it more. I was using it at work on cheap notebook paper and the feathering was awful.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #7
    Senior Member VertOlive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Lone Star Planet
    Posts
    3,507
    Thanks
    3,456
    Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Newbie to this forum, new Sailor PG Slim acquisition

    Quote Originally Posted by thebenedictine View Post
    A Lamy 2K in Makrolon is calling out to me.

    As are the Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age, Sailor 1911 King of Pen, Caran d’Ache Léman Grand and even the venerable Mont Blanc 146/149. Hell, even a Conklin Duragraph is calling me too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So. You hear The Voices too.
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life"?—Mary Oliver

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

    thebenedictine (October 30th, 2018)

  13. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Newbie to this forum, new Sailor PG Slim acquisition

    Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thebenedictine View Post
    A Lamy 2K in Makrolon is calling out to me.

    As are the Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age, Sailor 1911 King of Pen, Caran d’Ache Léman Grand and even the venerable Mont Blanc 146/149. Hell, even a Conklin Duragraph is calling me too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So. You hear The Voices too.
    Oh yes. I did. And at lunchtime today, they were calling for me to get a ...
    ...
    ...
    ...
    Platinum Preppy 02 Extra Fine with Platinum Blue Black ink

    LOL


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thebenedictine For This Useful Post:

    Lady Onogaro (November 1st, 2018), VertOlive (November 10th, 2018)

  15. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Dallas, as in the 80's TV Series
    Posts
    2,170
    Thanks
    1,494
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 940 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Newbie to this forum, new Sailor PG Slim acquisition

    Cool collection, may it grows according to your satisfaction.

    I also would like to applaud you for posting beyond the "Hi, There" post. I find so many newcomers to this forum just stop short from engaging with the rest of the forum after the welcome thread, and that's a real pity.
    - Will
    Sketches with restored vintage fountain pens: Redeem Pens

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

    thebenedictine (October 31st, 2018)

  17. #10
    Senior Member azkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    837
    Thanks
    1,381
    Thanked 685 Times in 323 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Newbie to this forum, new Sailor PG Slim acquisition

    Beautiful set of pens there! You will fit right in here.

    Hope we can help with your decision on a next pen. I am contemplating my next.

    Now that I am forming an idea of what I like, I plan to sell off some of my least favorite pens to make room for the next one. Hopefully I can hold the voices at bay in the meanwhile.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

    thebenedictine (October 31st, 2018)

  19. #11
    Senior Member calamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Redwoods Rainforest
    Posts
    493
    Thanks
    362
    Thanked 342 Times in 178 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: Newbie to this forum, new Sailor PG Slim acquisition

    Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thebenedictine View Post
    A Lamy 2K in Makrolon is calling out to me.

    As are the Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age, Sailor 1911 King of Pen, Caran d’Ache Léman Grand and even the venerable Mont Blanc 146/149. Hell, even a Conklin Duragraph is calling me too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So. You hear The Voices too.
    I thought it was just me...
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

  20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

    Lady Onogaro (November 1st, 2018), thebenedictine (October 31st, 2018), VertOlive (November 10th, 2018)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •