Thread: Moonman M100 Brown Acrylic

Thanks

Default Moonman M100 Brown Acrylic

Quick review of this pen. Definitely a step above most of the pens out of China that I’ve tried.

Likes: First off, this material is beautiful. It is a deep, dark tortoiseshell brown that shines and shimmers in the sunlight. The pen size is nice and the section has a nice shape to it. The Schmidt nib is a nice, smooth, fine nib. Overall a very nice looking pen.

Dislikes: The clip is springy, but tight. I had trouble clipping the pen into my shirt pocket. The feed is very dry. The ink pictured is J. Herbin Lie de The, which isn’t the darkest ink, but comes out very under-saturated with almost no shading. I would want the pen a bit wetter, but that’s also a personal preference. There is also a gold ring around the back of the section where it meets the pen body. It kind of works, but looks a bit out of place. Finally, every couple of attempts or so I misthread the cap.

At $43.85, this isn't a small investment, but the pen is very good looking and would a nice something-other-than-the-usual for lower priced pens.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

fountainpagan (October 31st, 2018), jodylud (October 31st, 2018), Jon Szanto (October 30th, 2018), Lady Onogaro (November 1st, 2018), VertOlive (October 30th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Default Re: Moonman M100 Brown Acrylic

I got the exact same pen in the mail yesterday, Jon. I agree with virtually everything you say. I might swap in a vintage nib, but if I didn't it would still be fine. I also thought the converter included was a lot better than most of the Chinese pens, and I'm wondering if it was also a Schmidt, like the nib. My clip seemed ok, just the right amount of tension. The overall quality and care in the build and manufacture are right up there. The material itself is very handsome in many lights. I consider this a very worthwhile purchase.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

fountainpagan (October 31st, 2018), Lady Onogaro (November 1st, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I've been eyeing this particular model from the moment Mr. Szanto (or was it AzJon?) posted several days ago. Glad to see the review. Looks like I may have to pull the trigger on it soon.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (November 1st, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    I've been eyeing this particular model from the moment Mr. Szanto (or was it AzJon?) posted several days ago. Glad to see the review. Looks like I may have to pull the trigger on it soon.
    There are a number of sellers on eBay of the M100 and they've dropped from around $40 to around $30. Even at the higher price it seems to be a very good value pen and one that doesn't take a backseat in looks or quality.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Aside from my not caring much for dry, fine nibs in general, the pen is still great. I haven't had time to tinker with it, but if I can increase the flow eeeeever so slightly or swap out for a broader nib, this pen is definitely worth every penny.

It did take a little over 2 weeks to ship from China, so if you're the impatient/antsy type, don't wait until the anticipation is killing you or you'll go nuts.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm hoping for a ebonite version, like the Moonman Wancai

12. The Following User Says Thank You to aquafox For This Useful Post:

penwash (November 1st, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aquafox View Post
    Ebonite would be cool. I just feel like I see very little modern ebonite that I think looks good or is of high quality (pock marks and inclusions in the material). I like it in vintage, but ebonite's tendency to oxidize makes it a material that I would only use at home. Acrylics and resins are much more likely, for me, to be taken out into the world and used.

Thanks

Can't judge as I haven't seen the Moonman Ebonite - although they say it's Nikko Ebonite, Japanese stuff so I'd trust they did a good job.

As for oxidisation, well... See it as a patina. Gives the pen that "stood the time" effect that no other materials can possibly achieve.

Thanks

As for oxidisation, well... See it as a patina. Gives the pen that "stood the time" effect that no other materials can possibly achieve.
    Well, that is also a factor of how the pen is used and cared for. I've only seen oxidation on very old pens, and the basic rule is to keep them out of (constant) direct sunlight. Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to keep a new ebonite pen in good condition for years and years.

~ Benjamin Franklin

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Well, that is also a factor of how the pen is used and cared for. I've only seen oxidation on very old pens, and the basic rule is to keep them out of (constant) direct sunlight. Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to keep a new ebonite pen in good condition for years and years.
    That's fair. My only exposure (not sorry) to ebonite pens are all vintage. Maybe I'll have to snag a low cost one just to have around and see how it does as EDC. None of my pens are ever in the sunlight all that often as it is.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    That's fair. My only exposure (not sorry) to ebonite pens are all vintage. Maybe I'll have to snag a low cost one just to have around and see how it does as EDC. None of my pens are ever in the sunlight all that often as it is.
    Two things:

- I just ordered a new ebonite pen for a project. Housing for a nib and nib unit from another maker, this is a new ebonite body from India, part of the Ranga made-for-Peyton-Street-Pens. It will be a good example to see how the material holds up.

- I had some time last night and swapped nibs with the M100. I've wanted to find the perfect host for a nib that was ground by one of our members, dneal. It's a Bock of the same size with a fabulous italic grind; the nib runs a tiny bit wet and matches perfectly with the feed from the M100. You may consider pulling your nib and looking at the feed, which has a very narrow single channel. OTOH, I put the Schimdt nib in a Baoer 388 that had hosted the other nib and the channel on that feed is more generous. It paired nicely with the Schmidt nib, which now is nothing otherworldly but writes as one would expect, just the right amount of ink being put down. Double success on this operation!

~ Benjamin Franklin

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Two things:

- I just ordered a new ebonite pen for a project. Housing for a nib and nib unit from another maker, this is a new ebonite body from India, part of the Ranga made-for-Peyton-Street-Pens. It will be a good example to see how the material holds up.

- I had some time last night and swapped nibs with the M100. I've wanted to find the perfect host for a nib that was ground by one of our members, dneal. It's a Bock of the same size with a fabulous italic grind; the nib runs a tiny bit wet and matches perfectly with the feed from the M100. You may consider pulling your nib and looking at the feed, which has a very narrow single channel. OTOH, I put the Schimdt nib in a Baoer 388 that had hosted the other nib and the channel on that feed is more generous. It paired nicely with the Schmidt nib, which now is nothing otherworldly but writes as one would expect, just the right amount of ink being put down. Double success on this operation!
    I have an ebonite feed lying around (from FPR) that I could see if it fits, but it's their flex nib feed so a VERY generous cut.

I've been using the M100 all day at work, though, and I have to say while it's not ideal for fancy looking inks, it *does* work well on very cheap paper. A dry writer has its benefits.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,701 Times in 1,971 Posts

If they come up with the ebonite version, I may not be able to not buy one
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

23. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

AzJon (November 2nd, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    If they come up with the ebonite version, I may not be able to not buy one
    Saaaaaaaame.

Especially if I can fit a good ebonite feed and flexy gold nib into it.