Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Other forums

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Default Re: Other forums

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    The only thing I'll counter is that one person's "energy" is another person's "oh gawd someone is going apeshitbananas because they just got their first TWSBI Eco for the nine millionth time this week". I mean, some of the the posts are so repetetive it is insane but, hey, they are young and having fun. I just scroll past it. The worst thing is downvoting but you can get used to that and then... you have people who are new to fountain pens and *mostly* open to info and sharing and all that. Not a great place for vintage knowledge unless you are the one supplying it, but it's fun to see people having fun. I find it a good alternative to the traditional pen forum blather.
    Fair points, Jon. Not all of us have the patience to scroll through the "My first fountain pen" posts, but it is what it is, and as the result a lot of young people get to know the hobby.

The fact remains, it is up to those who has the knowledge and experience to share them (as you do frequently over there).

Another venue that is popular among younger FP users and collectors are the chat system called Discord.com. As of now there are probably 5+ FP focused chat groups hosted on that website. Joining is by invitation. The conversation is real time, very easy to conduct conversations (even some buying and selling).
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Fair points, Jon. Not all of us have the patience to scroll through the "My first fountain pen" posts, but it is what it is, and as the result a lot of young people get to know the hobby.
    Right - it feels important to mention only in that it is a very significant part of the venue, not merely for the new users but simply because of the scrolling nature of the reddit structure to begin with. I only highlighted that aspect because it was the thing that *almost* put me off when I first joined. I just wanted to state that it can be dealt with and you can enjoy other aspects of that audience.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

The place in Reddit.com that is /r/fountainpens is not a sewer..
    Good lord.

I never said that is /r/fountainpens is sewer. Thanks for putting words in my mouth.

I said that REDDIT was a sewer.

I also noted about reddit that it was:

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    not that bad if you just stick to the parts you like and ignore the parts that verge on 4-chan
    So given the context, I was clearly making a distinction between Reddit in general and /r/fountainpens specifically, and merely warning about going too far astray.

Thanks

Good lord.

I never said that is /r/fountainpens is sewer. Thanks for putting words in my mouth.

I also noted about reddit that it was:

not that bad if you just stick to the parts you like and ignore the parts that verge on 4-chan
    So given the context, I was clearly making a distinction between Reddit in general and /r/fountainpens specifically, and merely warning about going too far astray.
    Sorry, Stub, that's how I took your statement, too. Since Reddit is being discussed within the context of /r/fountainpens, the comment comes off as implying that the sub is a sewer by association. It was not clear that you meant reddit as a whole vs. the smaller subs.

I took your "not that bad" comment to refer to aspects of the sub.

Edit to add: If you want to avoid all the other clamor of reddit and keep it to fountain pens, just make your account and subscribe solely to the r/fountainpens sub so it is your only feed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post

Sorry, Stub, that's how I took your statement, too.
    Well that is a couple people who read it that way then so there you go. I guess it was clearer in my mind than in my actually typing.

Since others read it that way then I guess I have to take the blame. Apologies for seeming to bad mouth that sub.

Sorry for the crossed wires. I have been on the fountain pen sub a bunch. I have seen Jon and Penwash on there.

I have no real issues with it other than the ones Jon already pointed out.

I wish whoever had the keys to this place would share them with someone but we've had that conversation before. This is the most mysterious fora I have been on. Like someone left the car running and full of gas but no papers or keys. I suppose some day this forum will just up and disappear.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

AzJon (November 5th, 2018), Jon Szanto (November 4th, 2018)

Thanks

Good lord.

My goodness, I apologize for misunderstanding your statement then.

I truly read your statement as pointing to the subreddit specifically since we're talking about fountain pens and there is no other subreddit than /r/fountainpens

... and for that I am truly sorry.

I chose my involvement in reddit very carefully, besides a few other subreddits that has to do with artistic OC (original content) stuff, I don't go anywhere else. Just from the interaction in the moderator-specific forums, I can tell that there are some pretty big drama happening elsewhere within reddit, so I don't doubt your warning at all.
    - Will

Thanks

My goodness, I apologize for misunderstanding your statement then.

I truly read your statement as pointing to the subreddit specifically since we're talking about fountain pens and there is no other subreddit than /r/fountainpens

... and for that I am truly sorry.

I chose my involvement in reddit very carefully, besides a few other subreddits that has to do with artistic OC (original content) stuff, I don't go anywhere else. Just from the interaction in the moderator-specific forums, I can tell that there are some pretty big drama happening elsewhere within reddit, so I don't doubt your warning at all.
    You weren't the only one who read it that way so it seems I was not clear. So it is me who should be sorry.

Thanks for your work moderating that sub. I can imagine that is a bear of a task and thankless. I am not on there much these days but mostly have had a pretty good experience there. I suppose I spend more time on Slack. Though, again, another forum that has very little vintage talk and it is a little clicky and I sometimes feel like the nerd at the party no one talks to.

Thanks

Thanks for your work moderating that sub. I can imagine that is a bear of a task and thankless. I am not on there much these days but mostly have had a pretty good experience there. I suppose I spend more time on Slack. Though, again, another forum that has very little vintage talk and it is a little clicky and I sometimes feel like the nerd at the party no one talks to.
    You're welcome, now that we have recruited 2 new moderators, things are flowing more smoothly and things are taken care of at the right time.

I heard about the Slack, but just like the chat groups on Discord.com, I've been told (just like you said) that the talks are rarely about vintage pens.

What we need is to get Pentrace members into an online chat server
    - Will

Thanks

What about trying to bring some of those new folk here? I know there is a vast all but untapped wealth of fp knowledge in this group of which those youngsters could benefit. I know there isnt anyone in my life thats interested in learning, I wouldnt mind. sharing what i know

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elim For This Useful Post:

azkid (November 4th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (November 18th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elim View Post
    What about trying to bring some of those new folk here? I know there is a vast all but untapped wealth of fp knowledge in this group of which those youngsters could benefit. I know there isnt anyone in my life thats interested in learning, I wouldnt mind. sharing what i know
    Look, this is only one person's observation, but I feel that it has merit and I feel strongly about it: I've tried.

I have a hunch you, Elim, aren't a youngster yourself. Neither am I. I've always felt that the resource format that a forum like this offers - threads in various sub-forums, topics that can be searched, relatively easy posting of images, etc - all make for a valid, sustainable and archivable resource for information. You know what? That's too old school for a lot of newer users.

In the world they live in, Instagram is a stream of photos that flies in front of their faces, chat rooms and Slack-like constructs allow for quick convos that don't bog you down and can be quickly forgotten. I don't know how to describe the large cultural differences without sounding judgemental, as I really believe *everyone* deserves their own style of communication. I don't think reddit is anywhere near the same, but for many of the users there, it's *perfect*.

You, yourself, are new here. The last year has seen a big uptick in new members, many new to pens as well. It's a very different audience. We can invite them and all that, but it is up to them to come and like it here. My breath is not being held.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; November 4th, 2018 at 08:48 PM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AzJon (November 5th, 2018), Elim (November 4th, 2018), penwash (November 5th, 2018)

Thanks

I understand and agree with all you said.

-I have a hunch you, Elim, aren't a youngster yourself.-

Indeed, I have more in the rearview than whats left.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Elim For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 4th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Look, this is only one person's observation, but I feel that it has merit and I feel strongly about it: I've tried.

I have a hunch you, Elim, aren't a youngster yourself. Neither am I. I've always felt that the resource format that a forum like this offers - threads in various sub-forums, topics that can be searched, relatively easy posting of images, etc - all make for a valid, sustainable and archivable resource for information. You know what? That's too old school for a lot of newer users.

In the world they live in, Instagram is a stream of photos that flies in front of their faces, chat rooms and Slack-like constructs allow for quick convos that don't bog you down and can be quickly forgotten. I don't know how to describe the large cultural differences without sounding judgemental, as I really believe *everyone* deserves their own style of communication. I don't think reddit is anywhere near the same, but for many of the users there, it's *perfect*.

You, yourself, are new here. The last year has seen a big uptick in new members, many new to pens as well. It's a very different audience. We can invite them and all that, but it is up to them to come and like it here. My breath is not being held.

As a not-young-but-probably-not-a-youngster that is old enough to remember starting on forums like this and now use Reddit more frequently. I think that the first year of being into fountain pens I used Reddit exclusively. Checking posts daily and interacting in the same way. Now I chime in from time to time and make a post now and then. Reddit serves a few purposes that Forums don't. The biggest one, as has been mentioned, is new user acceptance, excitement, and encouragement. Yes, seeing 30 Pilot MRs and TWSBIs a day can get old, but everyone is new and learning and supportive.

What Reddit serves, for me at the moment, is a stream of what trends and news from the pen world. Granted, there isn't a ton of info from the vintage world, but there could be.

When it comes to searching for pen/ink information, I use Google first, Reddit second, Forums third. The 60 second required delay in searches combined with some difficulty in actually hunting down information within a thread feels slow and clunky.

As a tie in from another thread here right now, the final problem I have is the archival nature of this and other forums. Looking for new or updated information in threads that are 10 years old is trying. I guess it can be kind of useful if doing archival research is your thing, but the majority of the best information and leads I've had came from asking the question to Reddit. Granted, those answers often came from Jon and Penwash, but still. The answers and discussions were there. It is easier for someone to have a subcomment agreeing without bogging down a thread. 5 conversations happening in one forum post is difficult to follow and tedious to follow, in my opinion.

Anyhow, I know I'm not going to subvert anyone to go to Reddit from here. Reddit feels like the lively bar in town that has good drink specials but can be a little basic. FPGeeks is the small local joint where a regular might sneer at you for ordering something low-brow, but will come to accept you given time.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Elim (November 5th, 2018), penwash (November 5th, 2018)

Thanks

Wait, what’s wrong with 4chan?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to adhoc For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (December 1st, 2018)

Thanks

It's already being done. I was brought over from /r/fountainpens by someone who saw my post about looking for a specific pen. I have since decided that this particular forum, although quieter than Reddit, suits my personality a bit better. I grew up in an era of BBS groups, and Reddit seems impersonal by comparison.
    Last edited by kardisa; November 18th, 2018 at 07:23 PM.

Thanks

I wish whoever had the keys to this place would share them with someone but we've had that conversation before. This is the most mysterious fora I have been on. Like someone left the car running and full of gas but no papers or keys. I suppose some day this forum will just up and disappear.
    So there are no admins or mods for this forum? It's running Ghost ship style?

I wounder if it wouldn't be prudent to have a backup group or something in case this site does go poof one day.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

So there are no admins or mods for this forum? It's running Ghost ship style?

I wounder if it wouldn't be prudent to have a backup group or something in case this site does go poof one day.
    I like it (most of the time) as it is.
    It‘s not like a ghost ship as the owner reacts on inputs (e.g. a post is reported), it‘s just not actively moderated.
    Things auto regulating themselves normally here, and it works most of the times astonishing well.

I know that some wish to have admins/mods back, especially to become admin/mod by themselves.
    But personally I‘m quite happy that some of these do not get it.

In general nothing wrong with a good Mod, I remember when Dan was in charge, but these have to be the right persons.

If you like heavy arbitrary censorship and admins/mods living their fantasies of power then FPN should be your choice, you will not be disappointed.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 19th, 2018), Deb (November 19th, 2018)

Thanks

I just looked for new posts on the Pelikan portion of this board and the newest I could find was November 5th . Pelikan is fairly popular so no post in almost a month is not a good sign in my opinion .

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    I just looked for new posts on the Pelikan portion of this board and the newest I could find was November 5th . Pelikan is fairly popular so no post in almost a month is not a good sign in my opinion .
    Yeah, I think you are right, so why donˋt you just post something interesting there.
    I‘m a big fan of the birds, I will read it for sure.

Others might follow up and this will attract others which also participate, and ......

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (November 30th, 2018), Empty_of_Clouds (November 30th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

That's at the heart of most any online forum. The content generators are usually a tiny minority, and this is markedly more obvious when membership numbers are relatively low. Now, that's not to say that everyone is a natural or willing content generator. Some require the catalysing effect of others, and then hit the ground running . Nothing wrong with that. What I find a little objectionable is when people complain both of the dearth of new content AND the nature of new content that is being generated. It's kind of saying we want new stuff but it has to be stuff I want.

Among others I have been one of those who have tried to get new threads going. Sometimes I've had to be controversial or just a plain dick to stimulate ANY kind of discussion. Make no mistake, this is 99% an internet act and in no way a reflection of me as a person in meat space. Anyway, the same people (who create nothing) complain about the content nonetheless. Well, for those people, put your money where your mouth is and start a few threads yourself. Don't be scared!