Thread: Another PR ink bites the dust

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Another PR ink bites the dust

Today I received a sample vial of Monteverde Copper Noir from a generous fellow Geek, so I decided to write back to him with the Monteverde ink and my long-neglected Private Reserve Copper Burst. I opened the PR bottle and noticed it was only half full! The scent was odd, and the color was more grey than anything resembling copper. I used a dip pen, so if anything was growing in the bottle, my fountain pens are safe. The box still had the Paradise Pens $9 price sticker on it. The cardboard wad inside the broad plastic cap still showed the original color of the ink. Down the drain it goes.... This is the second PR ink to go bad in the last year or two, both in the old-style bottles and caps.

I am offering the remainder of my Private Reserve inks* if anyone wants them for postage in Pay It Forward.

*Except for recently bought DC SuperShow Blue in the new-style bottle and cap. I'll give that some time.
    Last edited by FredRydr; November 4th, 2018 at 05:57 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

KKay (November 4th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (November 6th, 2018)

Thanks

Default Re: Another PR ink bites the dust

If I ever get any Private Reserve ink, I will definitely add some phenol drops to it.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KKay View Post
    If I ever get any Private Reserve ink, I will definitely add some phenol drops to it.
    That sounds like a good idea.

I have old bottles of the two blues (DCSSB and EDCB) plus part bottles of Arabian Rose and Orange Crush. The ink inside the bottle marked as Arabian Rose is a rather unpleasant dirty purplish shade, and that inside the bottle marked as Orange Crush is brown, and not a particularly nice brown at that. I'm sure both have changed colour considerably.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Along these lines, anyone have info on the woman who has restarted the company/line? I've seen various postings (Facebook? Instagram?) of a person who apparently now owns the Private Reserve brand and has relaunched the inks, starting at pen shows. I've not seen any chatter or writing about it, just her own (I think) posts, or someone posting about her, nothing about the 'company' or plans or anything.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I followed a link from FPG Member "Marsilius," posted here on Oct 26, 2018 which was a video featuring the new owner & her discussion about acquisition, questions about & plans for PR.

(A quick FPG search "Private Reserve ink" brought up posts & since results were by date of post, I was able to find it again for reference)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to soretailedcat For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 5th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by soretailedcat View Post
    I followed a link from FPG Member "Marsilius," posted here on Oct 26, 2018 which was a video featuring the new owner & her discussion about acquisition, questions about & plans for PR.

(A quick FPG search "Private Reserve ink" brought up posts & since results were by date of post, I was able to find it again for reference)
    The link to 2 videos on Facebook is right here.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

IMHO there is not much talk about newer PR inks due to the bad rep they have on the net. I am one of the many that has seen a lot of negative reviews, and picked Noodlers inks instead.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to aquafox For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (November 14th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I've never experienced any similar problems with the Noodler's inks that I have bought, or been given, despite the fact that I don't have many colours, as availability here isn't as good as it is in the US.

None of my other inks has significantly changed colour like these two Private Reserve inks have, but these PR bottles are quite old. That said, I have many older bottles of ink and they haven't changed colour.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (November 14th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Is it possible to copy and paste the links to the videos themselves (e.g., Youtube) instead of to a Facebook page with videos imbedded there? After a brief fling with Facebook, I shut 'er down and will not feed it data anymore.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

KKay (November 12th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (November 6th, 2018)

Thanks

This was on the PR table at the Ohio Pen Show.
    Image from iOS.jpg

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Is it possible to copy and paste the links to the videos themselves (e.g., Youtube) instead of to a Facebook page with videos imbedded there? After a brief fling with Facebook, I shut 'er down and will not feed it data anymore.
    No, because they aren't YouTube videos, they are vids that have been uploaded directly to Facebook and are hosted there. It's always a pain when someone simply puts vid on FB, but sometimes (I think) it is because it came from a live video stream to their FB page in the first place. Very busy today but I'll look into it again tonight. Frankly, I didn't watch them.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

...Very busy today but I'll look into it again tonight....
    Not to worry. We all have better things to do. After voting, I intend to watch another bottle of ink decompose.