Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else also affected by the latest policy change on Flickr?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 795 Posts

Default Re: Anyone else also affected by the latest policy change on Flickr?

I really dislike third party image hosting for a simple reason: sooner than later the links will be broken, whether by file reorganization or by closing the account. FPN is a prime example of this: there are literally hundreds of broken links and pictures that have disappeared over the years. There are few things more frustrating than reading a pen or ink review with no pictures because they have disappeared.

As far as storage and image resizing I do the old fashioned way: images are stored in my computer's hard drive (and backup) and resizing is done with a simple image app.

For this reason the images I have contributed to this forum are hosted right here on FPG. And if FPG should someday disappear? Well, then it really won't matter will it?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 5th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Any suggestion for a good hoster?
    Have you tried Flickr? The Pro account is pretty cheap (relative to just about any other cloud provider) and there are no limits to storage space.

All kidding aside, Flickr is really pretty cheap. it's probably a better deal than local storage, especially if you suffer a disk crash. If I understand correctly, Amazon has a free and unlimited photo upload service if you are an Amazon Prime member. Maybe that might fit your needs better.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rbultman For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (November 5th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

I am a paying pro flickr user, have been paying $29 per year for more than 10 years.
    Now they want to upcharge me to $49 per year.

Am I okay with that? Yes. Flickr has been more than useful for me across two hobbies, vintage cameras and now fountain pens.

I like to have a centralized place for my posts here, FPN, Pentrace, and Reddit. Others may have no need of this, I understand that.

So as long as they don't disrupt their current service, I can live with the price increase. Fair is fair.
    Last edited by penwash; November 4th, 2018 at 07:04 PM.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (November 5th, 2018), Chrissy (November 5th, 2018)

Thanks

After encouraging me to use 1TB for free, now they change the terms and conditions. After I have upload, categorized, tag all my photos, they want to charge me for what supposed to be free. NO, it is not fair, and I will not pay. If they stated from beginning that will charge for whatever, then it is a different situation. But no, they want to charge for what I have already done when was for free. Probably is worth the yearly fee, but this is not the point.

In the moment they will delete my old photos to keep ONLY 1000 newest ones, I will close both account on FLICKR.
    I'm sorry if any posts I have made here will miss photos due to FLICKR account.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to usk15 For This Useful Post:

Pterodactylus (November 5th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I had Pro up until 6 months ago. It was upsetting that I paid for the service and free accounts got 1 TB of space. I kept the service though because of the stats. Then I changed banks and let the subscription go. Not sure if I am going to go Pro again but I have until January 8, 2019, to decide. What stinks is I have almost all my blog photos hosted on Flickr. Ugh.

Here is the thing, if they are going to do this, fine, it's their prerogative. It took me years to upload all those photos a few at a time. I don't want to lose them. They should have the decency to provide an easy way to download the photos other than going through my account one-by-one.
    Last edited by KrazyIvan; November 5th, 2018 at 03:36 PM.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    I had Pro up until 6 months ago. It was upsetting that I paid for the service and free accounts got 1 TB of space. I kept the service though because of the stats. Then I changed banks and let the subscription go. Not sure if I am going to go Pro again but I have until January 8, 2019, to decide. What stinks is I have almost all my blog photos hosted on Flickr. Ugh.

Here is the thing, if they are going to do this, fine, it's their prerogative. It took me years to upload all those photos a few at a time. I don't want to lose them. They should have the decency to provide an easy way to download the photos other than going through my account one-by-one.
    Hi Ivan,

You can request your data in the Account settings, this will create a zip file with all the pictures and the related data.
    According to other users this might take hours up to a week or more depending on how much date you have hosted there and of course as so many users currently request to get their data after their announcement.
    As I understood you will get a notification when the zip is ready for download.

I also read that you can select groups of pictures in the camera roll which you can download then (up to 500 per group).

I personally tried neither the first nor the second yet (I have all my pictures still also on my computer)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post

Hi Ivan,

You can request your data in the Account settings, this will create a zip file with all the pictures and the related data.
    According to other users this might take hours up to a week or more depending on how much date you have hosted there and of course as so many users currently request to get their data after their announcement.
    As I understood you will get a notification when the zip is ready for download.

I also read that you can select groups of pictures in the camera roll which you can download then (up to 500 per group).

I personally tried neither the first nor the second yet (I have all my pictures still also on my computer)
    Thank you for the tip. I have been digging around looking for something like that and sent my request.

Thanks

For me the question is still open where to move.

I created an Canon Irista Account, today, they give you 15GB free space.
    You can upload also big and raw pictures and organize the pictures in Galleries.
    This galleries can be shared via a link, and pictures in this galleries can be downloaded.
    But the links to the pictures has an expiration date, there seems to be no way to create a permanent valid picture link to be used in a forum (BBCode)
    So Irista seems to be fine host your picture collection and even share galleries.
    But is seems to be not possible to use the picures in forums.

I also created an Instagram account today, but did not experimented with it yet.
    I noticed that you can beyond the standard share mechanism which gives you only a low res version of the picture (which is also shown on Instagram itself) it‘s possible to get a high res link if you search the source code for the high res version or use sites like Downloadgram which takes a share link and returns you the high res link.
    As this is not intended by Instagram I‘m not sure how long such high res links would be valid, if they are not long term stable this would be a showstopper using them in Forum BBCode.
    I‘m not sure if I will like to use the standard low res Instagram links, as I always posted HD resolution pictures so far.

Google Fotos is still on my list, but I‘m not sure if it is suitable for me as it’s main usecase is to use it on mobile devices with an App. And my intention is to use it exclusively with a Browsee on a PC.

Thanks

Ivan, I see you are already an Instagram user, can you please summarize the pros and cons and your experiences with Instagram for me?

Thanks

Ivan, I see you are already an Instagram user, can you please summarize the pros and cons and your experiences with Instagram for me?
    It's okay for sharing but even when you have the high res link, the link can change. I have several older posts on here where I posted my photo with the Instagram link and it's broken. I fix them if I see them. It is really good to share on Facebook because you just copy the share link and post it on Facebook. Everywhere else it is more involved. Photos used to show up on Twitter automatically if you copied the link, now it just shows a clickable hyperlink.

I have Amazon photos too but sharing publicly from my Amazon account is hit or miss. I am not sure if it is Amazon or Android that is the problem.

I technically pay for Google photos (I have a 100GB Google Drive subscription) but it does not have a way to in-line photos in my forum posts or I don't know how to do it. It's only $2.99 a month and I get it free because I have a Google Rewards account that makes enough money to offset the cost.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Pterodactylus (November 5th, 2018)

Thanks

I might stay on FLICKR after all, but create more accounts to split my photos into different categories, like landscape, pens, cars, some others. Just to keep up to 1000. The idea is to create similar names accounts (just change different numbers or letters on the end...), with same password, uploading only one category of pictures for each account.
    But that also involve a lot of work, to download, categorizes, upload, tags them, link to different groups, so on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by usk15 View Post
    I might stay on FLICKR after all, but create more accounts to split my photos into different categories, like landscape, pens, cars, some others. Just to keep up to 1000. The idea is to create similar names accounts (just change different numbers or letters on the end...), with same password, uploading only one category of pictures for each account.
    But that also involve a lot of work, to download, categorizes, upload, tags them, link to different groups, so on.
    Interesting, I just thought about the same as an option.
    If you don‘t care about followers, statistics, favorite pictures this would be a way to use several free Flickr accounts just as an hosting space (e.g. for Forum usage).

The problem when you used references of pictures still remains, deleting them in the first account and moving them into the second, third,.... invalidates the linked references.

They claim to try to prevent users to see the service just as hosting space, but actually it seems that they drive people exactly to just that view, not caring about the community and do not participate there anymore.
    Just use the hosting space.

Thanks

The problem when you used references of pictures still remains, deleting them in the first account and moving them into the second, third,.... invalidates the linked references.

They claim to try to prevent users to see the service just as hosting space, but actually it seems that they drive people exactly to just that view, not caring about the community and do not participate there anymore.
    Just use the hosting space.
    I care most about my pens photos, linked here and to FPN, so I have decided to keep the current account with pens only. All others photos are just hobby, don't really care if the links are broken, if I will try to work out different groups I'm in.

They didn't care about us when change rules, who gives a 2 cent about them?!? We are gonna use them as host...

Planet ME, money driven society...

Thanks

I actually remember when the free Flickr account was really restrictive. I used Webshots for my photos and Flickr just for arty stuff, however then Webstuff changed their model and I lost everything online (or rather the uploads and comments, I still had the original images). I then started using Photobucket and subscribed at a lower level .....

All free photo hosting is a risk (actually virtually anything in the cloud is) - even Google Photos (as they regularly drop things, some of which appearing to be popular and well used at the time). For cross posting I suspect most of us will use Imgur (which I moved my generic stuff to when Photoshop dropped the bomb), but even there is not guaranteed long term.

Thanks

Recent image hosting problems rather remind me of forum hosting problems UK woodworkers went through back in the day. As progressive changes in user agreements and hosting decisions changed we became unwilling nomads travelling from Yahoo Clubs* to Yahoo Groups* to something-community-or-other to MSN Groups* until eventually we gave in, threw our lot in with an otherwise failing privately-hosted forum and lost all control. Nowadays I'm not sure any of the original movers and shakers in that forum even contribute to the "new" one, but I suspect it tells a tale. If you want control over your content, you have to pay for the hosting. Could it be that paying for a website might end up the cheapest and most consistent option for image hosting...?

*If you remember any of those, you're probably not a natural at reddit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    If you want control over your content, you have to pay for the hosting. Could it be that paying for a website might end up the cheapest and most consistent option for image hosting...?

*If you remember any of those, you're probably not a natural at reddit.
    Which is exactly what I had decided to do years ago. I decided to pay for the services that I use out of flickr.

And as the result, the services have benefited me a lot more than what I paid them annually, and as long as they don't change the quality of the service, I am okay paying the price increase and continue to benefit and skip all these frustrations and heartache.
    - Will

Thanks

Well, if you're happy, Will, then no worries. But others don't seem to be, and given the degree to which image hosting sites seem willing to move the goal posts at the drop of a hat, I personally don't share your confidence in any of them longterm.

Thanks

Well, if you're happy, Will, then no worries. But others don't seem to be, and given the degree to which image hosting sites seem willing to move the goal posts at the drop of a hat, I personally don't share your confidence in any of them longterm.
    "Others" here means a few people who complained. I think there are just as many if not more people who are fine with the changes.
    And when I say "complain", I'm not chiding or being derisive, we all complain about something, I do as well, just not about this particular matter.

And it's not about me being confident of their (image hosting businesses) long term policies, but my position stems from the history of service that I experience from flickr.
    So far they haven't let me down, and they aid me in my hobbies.
    Therefore until that changes, I have no problem with paying. That's all.
    Last edited by penwash; November 7th, 2018 at 03:02 PM.
    - Will

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    "Others" here means a few people who complained. I think there are just as many if not more people who are fine with the changes.
    And when I say "complain", I'm not chiding or being derisive, we all complain about something, I do as well, just not about this particular matter.

And it's not about me being confident of their (image hosting businesses) long term policies, but my position stems from the history of service that I experience from flickr.
    So far they haven't let me down, and they aid me in my hobbies.
    Therefore until that changes, I have no problem with paying. That's all.
    Perfectly fine.

I even would have considered a Pro membership by myself if they would not have threatened to delete millions of photos of you don‘t pay.

This change is not only affecting current free users, it affects also all future users/customers.
    A couple of months ago the CEO still claimed all current uploaded photos on Flickr are save and will be save in the future.

But this was a lie as we see now.

What it really means is that they only keep content of actively paying users in the future (1000 remaining pictures are peanuts).
    It also means the first day a Pro user is not paying anymore he is loosing his collection and all his work put into it.

Imagine you miss to prolong your Pro account for various reasons (forgot, illness, death, pausing the hobby, can’t afford a Pro account temporarily, vacation,.......) , you will loose your stuff.

This paradigm change simply means, lifelong continuous payments or you will loose your stuff immediately.

This is not good business behavior in my eyes.
    This is a simple strategy to minimize the efforts (bandwidth and storage) and maximize the profit, all history will be cut off.

It is told that Flickr has the largest photography collection with a lot of historic valuable pictures and a lot of pictures under Creative Commons licence.

Many of those will be lost.

All users have to live with the new paradigm, pay or loose your content when you stop paying (no matter why).

If they would have chosen a different approach, like, Ok we change the terms of service, free users are limited, but existing stuff will not be deleted (also from Pro users which fall back to the free status).
    If you are above the limit you can’t upload anymore and can’t use specific features until you are under the limit or gain Pro status again.
    Then I would also had considered upgrading to a Pro account as the current stuff would be save also for the future.

They claim themselves to be a social media and the importance of the community and that they also share the passion for photography, but they act and behave like a pure plain storage hoster (as long as you pay you get some storage and bandwidth, when you stop it will be removed immediately).

This is not what users expect from a social media, this give not trust that the content (with all the emotions, passion, work and possible social and historic value) will last a long time.

So imo they spoke the death sentence to the community with the recently taken actions.
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; November 7th, 2018 at 04:21 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

usk15 (November 7th, 2018)

Thanks

There's an old saying. It comes from a time when adults populated the world and people understood there are consequences to their actions:

"You may not get everything you pay for in life, but you're surely going to pay for everything you get."

The internet seems to have fostered a mindset among some that everything should be free. I used to read content at The New York Times until some years ago. They created a paywall. They said I could pay and read content, or I could keep my money and not read their content. My choice. There was no coercion. I wasn't being held hostage. They were not acting like the mafia. They have bills to pay too. They have every right to expect compensation for services rendered. You don't walk into a bar and tell the guy who bought you a drink last week that he has to pay for your drinks from now on because you've become an alcoholic.

We've done a disservice to people who have learned a mindset that Internet services should be free. When the "free" runs out, some of them fall back on petulant ranting about their claimed victimhood; it can get pretty ugly. Parents supply everything for children -- up to a time when they have to be adults. Then they are expected to earn and pay their own way.

Nobody owes you anything.

Finally, I'll suggest something Winston Churchill said: "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."

Personally, I've found life a lot more satisfying when I focused on what I could give rather than what I could get for free.