Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else also affected by the latest policy change on Flickr?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Default Anyone else also affected by the latest policy change on Flickr?

Since a couple of years I upload my pictures I want to share on Flickr.
    Free users had up to 1TB space and no significant limitations, the service was Ad financed.

The new owner (SmugMug) now announced that in the future free users will be limited to 1000 pictures total.
    Which would be ok, as they can change the terms of service.

What imo is not ok is that they will delete also all old previous uploaded pictures until the limit of 1000 pics is reached.

They argue that you still can get a pro account and avoid deletion as long as you pay.

Imo these are Mafia methods, the people trusted that the pictures will be hosted a unlimited period of time and put a lot of effort into it (tagged them, sorted them into albums and generated traffic for their advertising with the content for the Hoster).

These pictures are also referenced all over the web, e.g. in many forums (like ours).
    Deleting Millions of existing pictures will damage many thousands threads in forums.

Basically what their offer is, stay on our site and as long as you pay we will not delete your content (lifelong payments).

Other hosters handle this different, like if you no longer pay you will no longer be able to upload something but your content will remain intact (and still generate traffic and Ad income for the site).
    Which is imo a fair agreement.

So for my personal situation.
    I have way more than 1000 pictures there, mainly used at FPN and here.
    I‘m ok with a change of the terms of service, but I‘m not ok blackmailing their users.
    So if they would have said, ok, there is a change, you will no longer be able to upload something as free user as our terms of service changed but your existing content is save, then I would have considered upgrading to a pro account.

But in this situation I would not upgrade to a pro user even it would been the last picture hoster in the world.

As a consequence I will delete mainly older pictures used in threads on FPN (and render them unusable) and try to keep newer ones mainly used here on FPGeeks.

So, is anybody else also affected from the Flickr change?

Where do you host your pictures?

Currently I think I might will move to Instagram.
    I also looked at Canon Irista, but there seem to be no real option to share the pictures in forums.

Any suggestion for a good hoster?
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; November 4th, 2018 at 05:26 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Anyone else also affected by the latest policy change on Flickr?

I use Flickr, but I get unlimited for free due to my having a Yahoo email address.

I never upload really large images though, and am always very careful to crop everything and resize it before uploading to Flickr so that everything is already as compact as it can be. Rather than starting off by deleting images, is it possible to ensure that all of those you currently have are as compact as you can make them?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I use Flickr, but I get unlimited for free due to my having a Yahoo email address.

I never upload really large images though, and am always very careful to crop everything and resize it before uploading to Flickr so that everything is already as compact as it can be. Rather than starting off by deleting images, is it possible to ensure that all of those you currently have are as compact as you can make them?
    Hi Chrissy,
    Yahoo sold Flickr to Smugmug some months ago, so it has nothing to do with Yahoo anymore (I also use a yahoo mail address to log in, this is a relict which also will disappear next year).
    So I fear you are also affected by the 1000 picture limit as a free Flickr user.
    It‘s not a matter of space, the new limit is 1000 pictures, no matter how big or small they are.
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; November 4th, 2018 at 05:39 AM.

Thanks

Wait until someone buys The Cloud.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

jmccarty3 (March 23rd, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post

Hi Chrissy,
    Yahoo sold Flickr to Smugmug some months ago, so it has nothing to do with Yahoo anymore (I also use a yahoo mail address to log in, this is a relict which also will disappear next year).
    So I fear you are also affected by the 1000 picture limit as a free Flickr user.
    It‘s not a matter of space, the new limit is 1000 pictures, no matter how big or small they are.
    That may be the case. However, they are still telling me that my account is a Pro account, so no need to upgrade yet.

Thanks

I just use imgur, but that's due to my long time use of reddit.

This wouldn't be the first time an image hosting site has rendered entire threads on fountain pen forums next to useless.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

jmccarty3 (March 23rd, 2019), Jon Szanto (November 7th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    This wouldn't be the first time an image hosting site has rendered entire threads on fountain pen forums next to useless.
    This is why I prefer to upload directly to the site and avoid third party hosting like the plague.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

Cyril (March 17th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    This is why I prefer to upload directly to the site and avoid third party hosting like the plague.
    Sure, but we can't upload directly to this forum, correct? It has to have a .jpg URL for it to show up. Unless you're referring to i.reddit where you can upload directly to reddit, but that's only one image for the post. You would still need a third-party image host for formatting your images into a review or post, yes?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 797 Posts

Of course you can upload directly to this site. Valid file extensions are: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip

Thanks

Yes you can, but then you don’t have all your pictures in a central place and you can’t use them in different locations (forums).

Thanks

"Oh, grow up."

-Joan Rivers

When you began using Flickr you agreed to a set of legally binding terms in exchange for services provided. Part of what Smugmug bought was the rights to those binding terms -- and the right to change them to suit their business model.

They have made you an offer, and you seem to be rejecting that offer. Therefore they can stop providing services to you. There is no more to it than that. It is childish to say they are "blackmailing" you or using "Mafia methods." You have a business disagreement, something that happens in the real world every minute of every day. You find a solution that fits you.

Cloud storage is now dirt cheap. Spend a few dollars a month for the service you want; then you won't have to throw a tantrum.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    "Oh, grow up."

-Joan Rivers

When you began using Flickr you agreed to a set of legally binding terms in exchange for services provided. Part of what Smugmug bought was the rights to those binding terms -- and the right to change them to suit their business model.

They have made you an offer, and you seem to be rejecting that offer. Therefore they can stop providing services to you. There is no more to it than that. It is childish to say they are "blackmailing" you or using "Mafia methods." You have a business disagreement, something that happens in the real world every minute of every day. You find a solution that fits you.

Cloud storage is now dirt cheap. Spend a few dollars a month for the service you want; then you won't have to throw a tantrum.
    I never questioned that they can change terms of service
    What I question is how they do it, they did not made a real offer, they stated an ultimatum and a threat for all users in the future, and I cannot see what should be childish to question such bad business behavior.

Social media’s does not work that way.
    They are based on the believe and the trust that your content has no expire date.
    No matter how you pay for the service (Ad based or directly monetary compensated).
    What they actually do now is to significantly damage the trust to the platform, because not only the Ad based users are affected, also the Pro users.

What it means is, that also a Pro user will loose his content, all the work they put into it and all the content which is referencing the stored content the first day they stop paying directly for the service.

E.g. if you take a outtime from your photography hobby you can’t just stop for a while and come back later and continue as your content is still there. Or you focus on different topics, or you can’t afford it for a time, or you are ill,......... 1000 reasons to pause a hobby.

They send a cristal clear message to all users, first day you stop paying them your content is lost.

I can’t imagine that most of their customers, Pro and not Pro will like this Message.

As said, this is not how social media works, and many other platforms clearly state that your content will be save and not lost also when you stop beeing a Pro member, you will only loose your upload capability in case you are above the free membership content wise.

I have no doubt that Flickr as a brand will disappear quite soon and the remaining Pro members will be transferred to the Smugmug service.

And therefore, I keep saying, there business conduct is in my eyes Mafia like.

It‘s not about the money, and I stated that I would have thought about a Pro membership otherwise, it’s about business conduct and trust.
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; November 4th, 2018 at 03:03 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Sure, but we can't upload directly to this forum, correct? It has to have a .jpg URL for it to show up. Unless you're referring to i.reddit where you can upload directly to reddit, but that's only one image for the post. You would still need a third-party image host for formatting your images into a review or post, yes?
    No you don't need a third-party image host. We can easily upload images directly to FPG. I do that all of the time, and have pages and pages of attachments. All of my ink review images and Inktober images are uploaded via FPG. You need to click on "Go Advanced", type whatever you want in the text box, and ensure that your cursor is where you want your image to appear in your post, then scroll down to Additional Options - Attachments - Manage Attachments. Valid file extensions are: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip

When you click on the Manage Attachments box, a File Upload Manager box comes up on your screen. You click on Add Files, then Upload files from either your computer or your website. Click on Choose File to choose it, then Upload to upload it. Once it has uploaded, you then click on Insert Inline to attach it to your post. It will attach it where your cursor was placed after you finished typing. When you have previewed your post and submitted your reply then click Done in the File Upload Manager box.

If your file is too big and you want to adjust it, then go back to your post and delete it in there, then delete it in the File Upload Manager by clicking on the small cross in the Attachments box at the bottom of the File Upload Manager box. The adjust the size and add it again.

I find it really straight-forward compared with other sites. You can also edit or remove your Attachments. Click on your Settings - top right hand corner, and your Attachments are all down at the bottom of the left hand column. You can delete them there whenever you want. I currently have 633 attachments.

If you're in a post and want to change an image, then you use the Manage Attachments box. You need to remember to remove them from the Manage Attachments box below, as well as the File Management box, or you get broken links in your posts.
    Last edited by Chrissy; November 4th, 2018 at 03:27 PM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

AzJon (November 5th, 2018), carlos.q (November 4th, 2018), jmccarty3 (December 9th, 2018)

Thanks

Unlike the photobucket debacle, I think Flickr's pretty fair. Yahoo! have done terrible things to Flickr, ruining the community, making changes to the design etc. Their "free" 1TB ad-supported service (read: we'll sell your data to advertisers) was not a long-term solution.

Smugmug are well-regarded and what they're doing is fair. A reality where you pay for a service (who would have thought) is better than the horrific panopticon that Yahoo!, Google, Facebook etc are providing.

Some people, like Pterodactylus, will lose out (I've heard of some accounts with millions of photos on the free service), but hopefully Flickr will survive as a healthy place to store photos.

I'm not sure there are decent free alternatives. It'll only be a matter of time before imgur and others face up to the reality of paying to host all those photos.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to milkb0at For This Useful Post:

amk (November 7th, 2018), Chemyst (November 5th, 2018), Rossler (November 14th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Oh wow. First I'm hearing about this. I haven't been uploading photos much over the past couple of years, even though I paid an annual fee for ten years, or twelve.

When the fee was doubled, recently, I figured... I'm not REALLY using the service, and free accounts (with ads) get 1TB of space.

Huh.

Thanks

I've had nothing through from Flickr either. If they handle it as badly as Photobucket then expect the same results, members bailing so quickly that the old CEO is forced out and the new one starts cheaper packages.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Ugh. First Photobucket breaks all the forums and my blogs, now Flickr resorts to extortion? Well my blogs are stagnant anyways.

I use Tapatalk for this and other forums and upload images direct from phone. Convenient though the app kind of sucks. Probably Tapatalk and other hosting sites will pull similar stunts.

Not sure what the other options are besides Imgur.

Thanks

Actually, having checked the prices for Pro membership (unlimited photos and 15% discount off Adobe Cloud if paid annually) it works out at £40 per year, which is what I was paying the the smallest commercial package on Photobucket until they changed things around.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to dapprman For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (November 5th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Maybe I will start sharing stuff off of Dropbox since I am already paying for a pro acct there.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

imgur for the few pics I post.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine