Thread: A 149 With A Mind Of Its Own

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Default A 149 With A Mind Of Its Own

My 149 decided it needed a full teardown tonight. Removing the nib for the first time the section also came loose. I needed to remove the nib unit to give it a more thorough cleaning since I didn't get it as clean as I felt I did. Ink from the previous owner was still trapped within the nib unit.
    I guess with my bad fingers I was not holding it tight enough and halfway through unscrewing the nib, the section came loose. My first time actually seeing the pink adhesive in person. Evidently, once that stuff is exposed there's no screwing it back in! So, I just unscrewed it completely. I'll complete it tomorrow.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: A 149 With A Mind Of Its Own

Is it the brand new model that has a "user removable" nib? If not then fingers crossed it all goes well for you.

When the section is first screwed on with the pink bubble gum sealant, the sealant is quite liquid then settles around the section and sets afterwards. It might need some new sealant to be leakproof again.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

RayCornett (November 5th, 2018)

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Is it the brand new model that has a "user removable" nib? If not then fingers crossed it all goes well for you.

When the section is first screwed on with the pink bubble gum sealant, the sealant is quite liquid then settles around the section and sets afterward. It might need some new sealant to be leakproof again.
    I wish it were that easy although it was not difficult to remove. This was evidently the first time it had ever been removed. I have sealant. But, all is well! It is one of the last of the 89s. Early plastic feed, 14k nib, brass threads. I do pen repair and restoration but this is my first in depth serious look into the 149. Until now all I did were nib adjustments. But now that I have the nib off I have questions about that.

I didn't know until I got the nib collar unscrewed from the section that it is in fact the nib collar that keeps the section in place and that there are notches on the threads on the barrel and inside the section to hold it in place. Nib and feed have been knocked out as of 10 minutes ago.
    Last edited by RayCornett; November 5th, 2018 at 01:24 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Thanks. I didn't know that information either.

Glad all is OK and happy writing with your 149.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

RayCornett (November 5th, 2018)