Thread: Conklin Nozac Repair Question

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Default Conklin Nozac Repair Question

I may have discussed this here but am not finding it.

I have a Conklin Nozac with a problem with the piece that is connected to the piston rod which inserts into the blindcap. The picture shows the golden piece(brass or copper I am guessing)12314715_10208426214916057_3201440354384961595_o.jpg to the righ side of the image.It is a bit crushed. So, it won't go into the hole in the blindcap that it is meant to fit into. I know the DIY fixes as far as making another part or just replacing the entire rod but I want to fix the small crushed piece. My question is, for those who know, is there supposed to be something inside that little piece on the end or should it be hollow? Mine has something inside of it and I am not sure if it is something that should be there, or gunk that can be removed making rerounding the piece easier. Could it be glue/resin? If I do finally get it rerounded I will also need to solder it in place, which is no problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,518 Posts

Default Re: Conklin Nozac Repair Question

That appears to be someone else's DIY repair. The shaft was originally affixed to the knob with a pin, and perhaps the pin was lost so the prior owner added the golden piece for a friction fit in the knob or to take up play from wear.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

RayCornett (November 8th, 2018)

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Default Re: Conklin Nozac Repair Question

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    That appears to be someone else's DIY repair. The shaft was originally affixed to the knob with a pin, and perhaps the pin was lost so the prior owner added the golden piece for a friction fit in the knob or to take up play from wear.
    I do have the pin. The pen came in pieces. The nib was bent. I got it all back to working order with the exception of this piece. It does have a hole in it for the pin. It wasn't that shiny looking until I started messing with it.