Thread: Limited Edition pens

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Limited Edition pens

Here is a casual question.

How few pens have to be made in order to justify a particular model being designated as a limited edition?

I guess I am ignoring the obvious technical answer that any manufacturing run that has a specific end time is limited.

Anywho, just wondering if there was some sort of threshold.

Thanks

Default Re: Limited Edition pens

In my opinion a limited edition should be in the 1000-5000 piece range depending on price point, is it a simple color/trim variant of an established model line or unique.

Thanks

This is clearly a question of personal opinion. Mine is that I prefer "limited" to be well under 1000. Even then, I do not usually pursue limited editions. Having said that, I find great joy in using a fountain pen that is #19 of 37. Part of that is thinking of the fact that both 19 and 37 are prime numbers. With numbers, joy comes easily to me, I think.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chalkdust For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (November 22nd, 2018), mitchell (November 19th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Had similar feelings.

Unless the pen material/design/engravings/designation/etc/etc is significantly set apart from the rest, it should be limited anywhere from 1,000 or below in my opinion to really be something to boast as a "limited" edition. For example how some companies were calling the Platinum Nice Pur "limited", but turns out only the first 1,000 are numbered, they did end up having unnumbered releases in Japan (but some sellers were still calling it limited). But that kind of design is an example of one of those pens that isn't set apart enough from the rest of the models to really be considered "worthy" of a LE title, maybe a SE.

Then you got something like my Aurora Afrika LE... it has it's own specific celluloid color and design and what not, but it's "limited" to 7,500 pieces (mine being 1,765, guess that counts as being in the first 25% of releases). As opposed to something like the Aurora 88 - 888 Saturno limited to 888 pieces or some I'v seen as low as 30 or 50 pieces (one of my NockCo cases is only one of 35 for a specific color combination)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Kinda jive with the idea behind the limited edition being tied to a specific number that has some sort of significance. That would make sense. Beyond that I was wondering if the pen companies have a threshold number.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Kinda jive with the idea behind the limited edition being tied to a specific number that has some sort of significance. That would make sense. Beyond that I was wondering if the pen companies have a threshold number.
    I feel like if they don't have a specific number in mind (kind of like the Visconti Divina Desert Springs had a specific golden ratio related number), then they just do the same as artists selling limited prints (50, 100, 1,000).

But I agree, having a significance to the limit makes it more appealing.