Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: King of pen (KOP) as daily writer and ink capacity

Thanks

Default Re: King of pen (KOP) as daily writer and ink capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel K View Post
    OK, now, here are my final thoughts for my choice. I have a budget of about 500-600 (600-700$).

1. Perfect writing performance: smooth F/M nib, bit of flex and spring; slightly oversized grip section; long barrel or postable;
    2. Ink capacity: option to use cartridges during exams or large ink capacity; pineider compatible for the library
    3. Style: not too fancy, more understated, but high quality
    Have you considered a Visconti Homo Sapiens maxi? The Dreamtouch nibs are smooth. In an EF they don't do the "firehose" thing and use up all of your ink. The power filler system holds a reasonable amount of ink. I think it's comparable to the full size Pelikan and Montblanc pens. The Homo Sapiens model (at least to me) has a very comfortable section diameter, the barrel length is just right to fit the hand without needing the extra weight of a posted cap to be comfortable. I prefer the weight of the basalt rock models, but the translucent acrylics used in the other models are lighter weight and preferable for knowing exactly how much ink remains in the pen. Coupled with Visconti's traveling ink well I think you'd be good-to-go wherever you go. **The "midi" and "elegance" models do not have the power filler and larger volume.

Thanks

Cool Re: King of pen (KOP) as daily writer and ink capacity

Daniel, in terms of balancing all your considerations, you should definitely consider a Pelikan M1000 - maybe a special/limited edition.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    Daniel, in terms of balancing all your considerations, you should definitely consider a Pelikan M1000 - maybe a special/limited edition.
    Notorious for coming badly adjusted though. And if the OP has a taste for Japanese nibs, those Pelikan nibs might seem like a medium size sharpie. And they're so broad that they negate the 2ml ink capacity of the pen - a cheap Pilot Kakuno with a 1ml cartridge and an F nib is probably going to write further. They're also a little heavy and have a short grip section. As someone who often writes all day, I'd avoid them. But ymmv.

Honestly, I'd just carry two Kakunos in a situation like this. They're full size pens, light, they can take the big con-70 filler, have good nibs in the size the OP probably wants, and it doesn't matter if they get lost. They don't have clips, but the Kaweco Sport one fits. Or I'd buy a pair of Pilot Lucinas if I wanted a more conventional look. But the simplest, most robust solution to one pen not having enough ink really is to carry two. It's not expensive, because lower priced and higher priced pens write almost identically.

Or the Danitrio Raw would be a great choice as a single pen solution. But I think they're not made any more?
    Last edited by ilikenails; December 20th, 2018 at 04:47 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ilikenails For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (January 11th, 2019)

Thanks

If budget is not an issue, I would highly recommend the Namiki Emperor Vermilion Urushi with a giant nib.

I think this pen needs no introduction, as Namiki is probably at the pinnacle of fountain pen making in Japan, and its nibs, through not flexible (as most modern pen nibs are), are one of the best you can find in the market today.

Since you have a big hand, and need to write a lot, I would say the Emperor is probably the perfect answer - it is an eyedropper, was finished beautifully with an understated, subtle beauty that few can mimic, and unique. The urushi application is truly impressive. A special, well balanced, big pen, but extremely good as a daily writer, especially for those with a big hand.

F. Lo
    (this is my first post here)

Last edited by fkclo; December 23rd, 2018 at 12:00 AM.

Thanks

I'm surprised no one suggested the opus 88 demonstrator. 4ml ink capacity makes it almost impossible to go trough the ink in one day.

Enviado de meu Moto Z3 Play usando o Tapatalk

Thanks

Its ink capacity is good as I have used this pen in my exams. As expensive you use as fine writing you will find.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cegadede View Post
    I'm surprised no one suggested the opus 88 demonstrator. 4ml ink capacity makes it almost impossible to go trough the ink in one day.

Enviado de meu Moto Z3 Play usando o Tapatalk
    The OP wants a Japanese fine. The Opus is going to be about twice as wide (which also halves its effective writing length - a true Japanese fine running at reasonable wetness gets about 500m from an ml of ink - call it 5000 words.) As someone who writes with a Japanese fine myself, I'd rather use a gel pen with the same line width for sustained writing than the Opus. (It's a shame the Opus can't take Pilot nibs - it's a great looking pen.)
    Last edited by ilikenails; January 16th, 2019 at 04:47 AM.