Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee People. Talk to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Coffee People. Talk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by KCat View Post
    So I had a cup from a Nespresso this weekend.

WTF?

Do they make K-cups with actual coffee in them? I mean, do they make an "espresso" K-cup that tastes like perhaps an "Americano" or at least your basic cup of coffee. That was the weakest watery 8 ozs of swill... Glad I didn't go that route for travel. EEYECH!
    Nespresso is meant to have 50ml to 80ml espresso. If you expected an 8 ounce cuppa no wonder you found it weak.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

ugh!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post

WTF?

Do they make K-cups with actual coffee in them? I mean, do they make an "espresso" K-cup that tastes like perhaps an "Americano" or at least your basic cup of coffee. That was the weakest watery 8 ozs of swill... Glad I didn't go that route for travel. EEYECH!
    Nespresso is meant to have 50ml to 80ml espresso. If you expected an 8 ounce cuppa no wonder you found it weak.
    I don't know how much it was. I was throwing that out there. It was a mug and the machine determined how much water it used, not me. I used the "fill line" as per the instructions. And it wasn't an espresso k-cup. Just a coffee. Might as well have been dishwater. It filled about half the mug and the mug was about your typical coffee mug so I'd say about 5 - 6 ozs if memory serves. Of dishwater.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

We have a vending machine at work that dishes out "expresso" like that. A coworker that does not drink coffee regularly bought some thinking it should have been a full cup. when he got what he considered a "shot" of coffee, he put more money in the machine and filled the cup up. He was bouncing off the walls after that.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

WTF?

I don't know how much it was. I was throwing that out there. It was a mug and the machine determined how much water it used, not me. I used the "fill line" as per the instructions. And it wasn't an espresso k-cup. Just a coffee. Might as well have been dishwater. It filled about half the mug and the mug was about your typical coffee mug so I'd say about 5 - 6 ozs if memory serves. Of dishwater.
    Nespresso is NOT a K-Cup.

Nespresso machines do not automatically make 5 or 6 ounce drops.

Thanks

Golly. Didn't mean to offend. I just got my brands mixed up. I meant Keurig. Nespresso makes the CitiZ. Both use cup-like units. The CitiZ sure looks automatic to me. Put water in, it goes through a "capsule" and makes coffee. Add milk. That's your part so it's not completely automatic but then neither is the Keurig.

Maybe Nespresso's version is wondrous. I don't know.

So let me start over.

The Keurig sucked. My intent was to find out if the K-cup machine (the part I did get right) might have better coffees available or if all coffees coming from it taste like that. Sorry if I confused the two. No need to berate me.

I admit, however, that I'm dubious about either brand being able to produce a decent cup of coffee after that experience. Anything that shoots water through a tiny blot of coffee that quickly has to have limitations. Drip/press/pour over and espresso machines keep the water in contact with the grounds much longer and in my mind would make for a much stouter drink (better, again, in my opinion).

Thanks

The Keurig sucked. My intent was to find out if the K-cup machine (the part I did get right) might have better coffees available or if all coffees coming from it taste like that. Sorry if I confused the two. No need to berate me.

I admit, however, that I'm dubious about either brand being able to produce a decent cup of coffee after that experience. Anything that shoots water through a tiny blot of coffee that quickly has to have limitations. Drip/press/pour over and espresso machines keep the water in contact with the grounds much longer and in my mind would make for a much stouter drink (better, again, in my opinion).
    Most K-cup machines will serve a variety of sizes. This means the same single cartridge has more or less water forced through it. You can see the fluid changing color during the draw, from a dark coffee color to lighter shades.

So if you want a strong brew and have an 8-ounce coffee mug, pour yourself two 4-ounce servings. You'll go through the K-cups twice as fast this way, of course.

Thanks

Golly. Didn't mean to offend. I just got my brands mixed up. I meant Keurig. Nespresso makes the CitiZ. Both use cup-like units. The CitiZ sure looks automatic to me. Put water in, it goes through a "capsule" and makes coffee. Add milk. That's your part so it's not completely automatic but then neither is the Keurig.

So let me start over.

The Single serve coffee area is every bit as broad as fountain pens and so it really depends on what it is you want.

Nespresso is one of the espresso single serve formats. Keurig is a brewed coffee format.

There are a few other formats and some make both brewed coffee or espresso.

Mixing up K-cup and Nespresso is about like mixing up fountain pens and colored pencils.

Just as with fountain pens, if I had a clue what it is you like then I might be able to suggest a machine or format for you to check out.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,473 Times in 1,742 Posts

So let me start over.

I actually LIKE my K-rig. It's good at making reg'lar coffee but I haven't used it for 'spresso. For that, I have a little old stovetop thingie. Not real espresso but it has body.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Hey jar. Well here's what I have: a low end espresso machine. Via Venezia with non-pressurized porta-filter. Honestly, I'd rather carry that wherever I go. But that's impractical.

Here's what I'll be in need of, maybe: something that will work in a small space and tolerate salt air. It may be short term--a week or so at a time. It may be permanent. I would prefer something filterless because I don't think one gets the taste from coffee from a paper filter as one does from screens. But I'm open to suggestions. And I'm just daydreaming really. I could make do with a pour over or a Moka pot and hand frother. That would allow me to take my Redbird. But an automatic machine with capsules would be easy and take up minimal space in the beach house kitchen. Still, I can imagine it would be susceptible to corrosion.

I drink americanos, espresso, and lattes. And iced coffee from espresso.

Thanks

Hey jar. Well here's what I have: a low end espresso machine. Via Venezia with non-pressurized porta-filter. Honestly, I'd rather carry that wherever I go. But that's impractical.

Here's what I'll be in need of, maybe: something that will work in a small space and tolerate salt air. It may be short term--a week or so at a time. It may be permanent. I would prefer something filterless because I don't think one gets the taste from coffee from a paper filter as one does from screens. But I'm open to suggestions. And I'm just daydreaming really. I could make do with a pour over or a Moka pot and hand frother. That would allow me to take my Redbird. But an automatic machine with capsules would be easy and take up minimal space in the beach house kitchen. Still, I can imagine it would be susceptible to corrosion.

Okay. So primarily espresso based drinks.

There are several possibilities.

Nespresso makes several small machines that should do well in that environment and they also have a very broad selection of different blends and varietal coffees. The machines make either a standard or long drop. Some models also have frothers.

I did a review thread on the single serve espresso machines from Nespresso, Illy, Lavazza and Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf here.
    Last edited by jar; June 19th, 2013 at 07:26 PM. Reason: add blends

Thanks

Okay. So primarily espresso based drinks.

There are several possibilities.

Nespresso makes several small machines that should do well in that environment and they also have a very broad selection of different blends and varietal coffees. The machines make either a standard or long drop. Some models also have frothers.

I did a review thread on the single serve espresso machines from Nespresso, Illy, Lavazza and Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf here.
    Thanks much! Have a wonderful (if blistering hot) summer.

KCat

Thanks

try an aeropress.

you will get the best results if you grind fresh coffee yourself just before brewing. just saying.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post

try an aeropress.

you will get the best results if you grind fresh coffee yourself just before brewing. just saying.
    I've thought of that, as well. I'll probably play with one. It's a small investment and if it doesn't cut it, then the other options are out there. Already have a good grinder so...

I looked at a hand espresso maker. Amusing. Rather expensive considering what it is.

http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/myp...sso-maker-2-0/

Of course, both of these options mean taking my grinder with me to the beach house. It's not huge and it would take up about the space of an automatic machine so I guess it's one or the other in the long run.

This is a very isolated area. No coffee shops nearby. So one way or another I'll need *something* to make coffee. Even if it's a Turkish pot on the stove. :P

Thanks

Used properly an Aeropress will make splendid coffee. I promise. I make my living doing this stuff.

Thanks

I use a Bonivita 8 cup with natural brown filters (Melitta, or generic).
    Achieves an ideal coffee brewing temperature of 200-205 degrees F.
    Last edited by 85AKbN; March 19th, 2014 at 07:28 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 1,647 Posts

I have a Keurig. I put the Revv brand kcup in it and set the water amount to the little teacup icon. 4 of these in rapid succession puts me on my feet in the morning.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

I'm a coffee snob my friends say.... I have lugged over hill and dale my coffee equipment.... french press... espresso maker... coffee sock... etc... I have tried coffee in every country I have traveled in.... Costa Rica, Egypt, Mexico, Canada, England.... and across the USA... I have had adventures is roasting my own beans... and other experiments... I don't think I will try coffee pooped out by a civet cat... I do have some boundaries to my palate. I have an antique Belgium brass coffee grinder that looks like a pepper mill to the untrained eye... I am always on the quest for the perfect coffee mug...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Adhizen For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (March 19th, 2014)

Thanks

By coincidence I took this photo earlier today, and thought it might serve as a decoration for this thread.

coffeepot.jpg

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AndyT For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (March 19th, 2014), Cyril (April 16th, 2019), oldstoat (May 23rd, 2014), Sailor Kenshin (March 19th, 2014), VertOlive (March 19th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,473 Times in 1,742 Posts

Ooooo....shiiinyyyyy.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD