Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee People. Talk to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Default Re: Coffee People. Talk to me.

I'm taking a class in NYC. The nearby Starbucks has a rare "clover" brewer. It costs $10,000 and only a handful of Starbucks have it. Has any coffee people hear about it? It's suppose to make coffee amazing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyorange View Post
    I'm taking a class in NYC. The nearby Starbucks has a rare "clover" brewer. It costs $10,000 and only a handful of Starbucks have it. Has any coffee people hear about it? It's suppose to make coffee amazing.
    My Starbucks has one. It was suppose to be one of the first to roll out. Its totally amazing!!! A splash of soy milk on top..... Heavenly!!

Thanks

Just what does this clover machine do? Isn't brewing...brewing???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyorange View Post
    Just what does this clover machine do? Isn't brewing...brewing???
    They grind the coffee beans fresh in front of you. And they put it in this machine and I guess it acts like a reverse french press. I don't know the whole mechanics behind it. It just amuses me watching it being made. But it tastes so good. You know how on some coffees it says you should taste notes of something. You really can with this coffee.

Thanks

Cool. That's for the info. Enjoy your cup of joe

Senior Member I like mango pudding's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah I've tried coffee from a clover. It all depends in the roast and the person making it for you. It's not all about the machine

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

How the Clover Coffee Maker Works:
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...fee-maker1.htm

Clover Coffee: Building on French Presses and Vacuum PotsThe flavor of your coffee depends on two things -- how the beans are roasted and how the drink is prepared. Roasting packs the flavor potential into a coffee bean, while grinding and brewing prepare the beans in a way that maximizes the flavor. The Clover gives you control over the two brewing factors that affect the flavor, which are the temperature of the water and the dwell time, or the time in which the grounds are in contact with the water.
    The Clover uses a proportional integral derivative (PID) controller to create the exact right temperature of water every time. Even a change of a few degrees in water temperature can make the difference between a cup of sludge and a cup that highlights the flavor of the bean. If the water is too hot, it will overextract the flavor of the beans, resulting in a bitter taste, but if the water is not hot enough, then you have underextraction and a weak cup of coffee.
    This coffee maker also lets you dial in the exact number of seconds that the grounds are in contact with the water, and the Clover's brewing process is designed to bring out the best in the grounds. Let's look at how it compares with other coffee-making methods.
    further pages in this article describe the process of making a cup of coffee.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogon07 For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (March 21st, 2014), TerraNoir (March 19th, 2014)

Thanks

We have a Bodum French Press that we love. We broke a little piece on the plunger. They have excellent customer service and sent us a replacement piece in a week.
    Write buzzed. Edit sober.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,808 Times in 329 Posts

I also have a Bodum french press and grind my beans in a spaceship looking KitchenAid grinder. It's nice being able to adjust the size of the grind and brew times for the variations in roasts you get between bags of beans. I find I like Starbuck's Sumatran, it has a a nice earthy flavor and interesting highlights without being bitter.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

We have a "House of Robert Timms" plunger ...oh around the back obscured by the handle it says "Bodum" so it must be a French Press. Anyway it has done sterling service for many many years.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

Coffee snob? Not really

Caffeine addict? Most definitely

I have two Keurig Vue V700 machines and probably 100+ Vue cups stock piled (which will be lucky to last me 2 months)

Settings:

1.) I keep mine on the hottest setting (192* I believe)
    2.) The auto on/off is a lifesaver (although even $10 machines have that function)
    3.) Filtered water makes a BIG difference and my city's tap water is already very good.

Favorites:
    1.) I'd HIGHLY recommend buying an adapter. I have one for each machine. They cost around $10-15 I think. They allow you to use K-Cups as well as regular coffee grains. It makes for a very versatile system.
    2.) Donut Shop Flavor is my favorite flavor. I've tried quite a few and this wins by far for me. However, taste (literally in this sense) is subjective
    3.) Starbucks French Roast and House Blend are two other flavors I really enjoy.

I was very hesitant to buy a single serve brewer for a long time. My thought process was "Why spend more than 5x as much on a machine that saves you 2 minutes at most and limits you to 1 cup at a time."

The main benefit is its simplicity. There's almost nothing to clean up. No coffee pot that discolors over time, and when you do have to clean something it's a very small part that can be hand washed or thrown in the dishwasher.

After waiting 2 years to finally try a Keurig, I bought my second one literally the day after I tried out the first one. The additional cost has certainly been worth it for me personally.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 1,745 Posts

I'm thanking God now for my K-rig, as my knee's getting worse and this is fast and simple.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Kuerig cups for me every morning in a contigo cup. Not quite geeky enough but I do need the caffiene.
    Be Here Now

Thanks

I'm a coffee addict. I wish I could be a coffee snob but I don't really have the time or room for that. I get my coffee by microwaving water and pouring it over a filter. Goddamn dorm doesn't allow coffee machines. I can't even have an electric kettle.

Oh well. at least I have filters now and can make drip coffee, before I was making due with dining hall coffee. And that stuff not only tastes nasty, half the time there is no coffee.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ceramic_pizza For This Useful Post:

00Photo (March 21st, 2014), 85AKbN (March 22nd, 2014), Cookies (March 26th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ceramic_pizza View Post
    I'm a coffee addict. I wish I could be a coffee snob but I don't really have the time or room for that. I get my coffee by microwaving water and pouring it over a filter. Goddamn dorm doesn't allow coffee machines. I can't even have an electric kettle.

Oh well. at least I have filters now and can make drip coffee, before I was making due with dining hall coffee. And that stuff not only tastes nasty, half the time there is no coffee.
    I remember those days. Lucky for me I didn't like coffee back then. I made do with mountain dew and no doze pills. I used to put mountain dew in my cereal in the morning.

Thanks

my keurig broke and i didn't replace it, so i have a couple of unopened boxes (kona and donut shop, and some loose not finished boxes). contact me if you want them. U.S. shipping only please.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 1,745 Posts

If no one contacts you, could you take them to work or donate to a food pantry?
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    If no one contacts you, could you take them to work or donate to a food pantry?
    i wouldn't throw them out.

Thanks

I snapped a quick photo this morning mid brew.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 00Photo For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (March 22nd, 2014), I like mango pudding (March 22nd, 2014), LunaAzurina (March 23rd, 2014), Mortiana27 (March 22nd, 2014), Sailor Kenshin (March 23rd, 2014)

Thanks

I never knew that Clover's were "rare". It just seemed that most Starbucks in the SF Bay Area had them ... and then I went into a small store and was suprised they didn't have one.