Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Coffee People. Talk to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,051 Posts

Default Re: Coffee People. Talk to me.

What's the distinction between beans that look shiny (oily?) and beans that look dry? It doesn't seem to matter whether they're light or dark roast.

By the way, last week I discovered Klearly Koffee, only half a century late.
    Last edited by FredRydr; April 10th, 2019 at 08:40 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    What's the distinction between beans that look shiny (oily?) and beans that look dry? It doesn't seem to matter whether they're light or dark roast.

By the way, last week I discovered Klearly Koffee, only half a century late.
    Fred, a darker roast brings oil to the surface of coffee beans relatively immediately.
    My dark roasts are shiny and oily the day they're roasted.

If it's a light or medium roast and the beans are oily, it's a good sign they are old and most likely gross.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (April 11th, 2019)

Thanks

I'll take that as good news, and keep my fingers crossed. Thank you!!
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (April 12th, 2019)

Thanks

We're in a unique position - located right between Italy and the balkans, which were under Ottoman empire for centuries. So over here, or at least I personally, like to prepare coffee in two ways.

1.) What we know as the Italian way over here. It's a dual chamber pot, which unscrews at the middle. You fill the water in the bottom chamber, and coffee in the middle where a filter goes. The water then boils and the vapor goes through the ground coffee, then cools back down in the upper chamber. After a while, the upper chamber fills up with coffee (beverage). Pour into a cup, add sugar and milk based on your preference.

2.) What we know as the Turkish coffee (and for the Greeks here, the Greek coffee!). It's called a džezva. You put water in it, wait for it to boil, then remove half of the boiling water into a cup, put in a few table spoons of coffee (depending on how strong you like it - I like 2 spoons per cup, which is very strong) and sugar for those that drink it sweet, wait for it to boil again, wait a little until the coffee foam cools down, and pour the water from the cup back into it. Wait again until it boils, then pour into a cup. Add milk if you like. This coffee is very strong and is my personal favorite. There will be heavy ground coffee residue at the bottom - don't drink that. Well, some more hardcore than me, do. But I'd advise against it, it can be nasty for your stomach.

I personally drink coffee with a tiny bit of skinned milk, no sugar.

P.S.: I only drink this coffee, if I can. When you open a pack, the smell alone can make your day. I see it's even sold internationally on amazon, for anyone wanting to try it.
    Last edited by adhoc; April 12th, 2019 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,806 Times in 1,018 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
    We're in a unique position - located right between Italy and the balkans, which were under Ottoman empire for centuries. So over here, or at least I personally, like to prepare coffee in two ways.

1.) What we know as the Italian way over here. It's a dual chamber pot, which unscrews at the middle. You fill the water in the bottom chamber, and coffee in the middle where a filter goes. The water then boils and the vapor goes through the ground coffee, then cools back down in the upper chamber. After a while, the upper chamber fills up with coffee (beverage). Pour into a cup, add sugar and milk based on your preference.

I personally drink coffee with a tiny bit of skinned milk, no sugar.
    That photo reminds me of this:

- Will
    A new place to shop for restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

8. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Cyril (April 16th, 2019)

Thanks

Yeah, those moka pens are awesome and they are inspired in the Bialetti moka-express

IIRC Bialetti designed his moka-express pot in the times of Mussolini, where coffee and aluminum were seen as part of the modernization of Italy
    Basically it was the poor man's espresso machine, in which the water boils at the bottom and builds pressure before pushing through the coffee (espresso). The pressure is needed to overcome the resistance of the coffee bed, and the way you pack the coffee and how fine the gorunds are makes a difference
    [IMG=200x150]http://www.mokabees.com/wp-content/uploads/how-does-moka-pot-work.png[/IMG]

History of the Bialetti Moka-express

Tutorial for Moka-express

PS: PenHero has them for $60 instead of 160!
    I couldn't resist and I ordered a black-acrylic pen.... review in a few days

Last edited by titrisol; April 18th, 2019 at 07:38 AM.
    Unix is user-friendly ; it's just picky about who it's friends are -

Thanks

Interesting! I didn't know that either.

Thanks

That moka pot reminds me a little of a camping espresso maker that I got which also uses steam pressure to force water through the grounds. My wife, who lived in Germany for 6 years, told me they used something like it all the time. I bet it was a machine similar to the Bialetti.

Not sure what we are talking about besides coffee stuff, but I use a Gaggia Espresso Deluxe we bought about 15 years ago to make iced lattes 1-2 times a day, most days.

I realize that iced lattes are a sacrilege to some connoisseurs but whatever. It is a decent little machine. Very much entry level, though. I keep thinking about upgrading.

During its long life I've only had to replace the power switch and now the temp light burned out on the brew switch, but the pump and heater elements keep going strong.

I modded it with an adjustable pressure valve. Maybe I will put a PID controller and 3-way valve on it one of these days.

I forgot what brand the burr grinder is. I did roast my own beans from Sweet Maria's for awhile but don't do it much anymore as it smokes up the house when I do a Vienna roast or darker which annoys my wife.

Thanks

That is exactly what the Bialetti pot does!
    It takes a bit of practice to know how fine the grounds should be; how much you should use (too much cmakes to much pressure) etc
    BIaletti was the original inventor !

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    That moka pot reminds me a little of a camping espresso maker that I got which also uses steam pressure to force water through the grounds. My wife, who lived in Germany for 6 years, told me they used something like it all the time. I bet it was a machine similar to the Bialetti.

Not sure what we are talking about besides coffee stuff, but I use a Gaggia Espresso Deluxe we bought about 15 years ago to make iced lattes 1-2 times a day, most days.

I realize that iced lattes are a sacrilege to some connoisseurs but whatever. It is a decent little machine. Very much entry level, though. I keep thinking about upgrading.

During its long life I've only had to replace the power switch and now the temp light burned out on the brew switch, but the pump and heater elements keep going strong.

I modded it with an adjustable pressure valve. Maybe I will put a PID controller and 3-way valve on it one of these days.

I forgot what brand the burr grinder is. I did roast my own beans from Sweet Maria's for awhile but don't do it much anymore as it smokes up the house when I do a Vienna roast or darker which annoys my wife.
    Unix is user-friendly ; it's just picky about who it's friends are -