Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Coffee People. Talk to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: Coffee People. Talk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post
    My available methods of making coffee at home now include.
    A French press (more than one, actually)...
    Ditto:
    • A classic old one with a worn bakelite(?) knob for caffeine,
    • A vintage one in silver-plate and silver knob from the '50s for decaf (other residents are on notice), and
    • A double capacity one for those long days.

Lately, Sumatra Mandehling has been my beans of choice. I don't know what they're categorized as, but I like them.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Kaputnik (September 28th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 637 Posts

While I mostly get my caffeine from yerba mate these days, I use a Bialetti when I want coffee (I grind it but don't roast it). I like it black and alternate between the unfiltered moka pot and filtered. To make filtered, I cut a paper filter to the diameter of the grounds holder and adhere it to the filter plate by dampening it. Then, I assemble the Bialetti and make it the normal way. It removed the thicker oils but leaves the deep flavor.... I'm on the fence about which way I prefer, unfiltered or filtered.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lloyd For This Useful Post:

Kaputnik (September 28th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    While I mostly get my caffeine from yerba mate these days, I use a Bialetti when I want coffee (I grind it but don't roast it). I like it black and alternate between the unfiltered moka pot and filtered. To make filtered, I cut a paper filter to the diameter of the grounds holder and adhere it to the filter plate by dampening it. Then, I assemble the Bialetti and make it the normal way. It removed the thicker oils but leaves the deep flavor.... I'm on the fence about which way I prefer, unfiltered or filtered.

filtered, all the way for me

Thanks

Switched to an Elektra MCAL espresso machine during the pandemic. Espresso is my choice nearly all the time. My backup methods are still turkish & moka pot, usually turkish. In fact, since my grinder is under repair, i’m making turkish this week.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (September 29th, 2021), Kaputnik (September 28th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 637 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post

With the Bialetti, with the paper filter placed on the metal filterplate?

M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post

With the Bialetti, with the paper filter placed on the metal filterplate?

No, sorry, I just meant that I prefer filtered coffee to remove some of the more bitter oils. I have gone back to pour-overs at home. I just use a cheap steel cone with micro-mesh. Works great. My wife doesn't drink coffee, so there is only me to brew for....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,253 Posts

I've become a total coffee heathen. We have every device imaginable for making it, and my husband still generally uses a steel filter for himself, but I now drink almost exclusively instant. Very good instant, but instant nonetheless. I don't enjoy the oiliness of anything else any more*.

I'll still have a shot of espresso if I'm out, but just can't be bothered with anything else.

I am (even with instant) very fussy about where my coffee has been grown, and only really like beans from as far north of the equator, with a huge preference for Latin American and Caribbean varieties. Must be organic too.

* When I'm home in Antigua, we just get Leeward Island grown green coffee, usually from Dominica (NOT the DR), pan roast it and grind it at home. Now that really is delicious...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Fermata (September 28th, 2021), Kaputnik (September 28th, 2021)

Thanks

I guess I am a vintage person. I like my ancient Bialetti stovetop Moka pot. Sometimes I use sweetened condensed milk instead of creamer.

What’s nice about the Moka pot is that I can use pretty much everything from Folgers in a red bucket to fancy self-ground coffee, and it works great. Aside from changing the filter / seal and cleaning the pressure relief, it is pretty much maintenance free.

One note - keep the coffee grounds out of the threads. The pot really needs a good seal to function right.

And the coffee? Like a fine, smooth, fountain pen ink, maybe even Graf von Faber Castell. Good coffee goes hand in hand with fountain pens and good ink (and maybe a slice of toasted sourdough with butter and raspberry preserves).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Radonactionservices View Post
    I guess I am a vintage person. I like my ancient Bialetti stovetop Moka pot. Sometimes I use sweetened condensed milk instead of creamer.

What’s nice about the Moka pot is that I can use pretty much everything from Folgers in a red bucket to fancy self-ground coffee, and it works great. Aside from changing the filter / seal and cleaning the pressure relief, it is pretty much maintenance free.

One note - keep the coffee grounds out of the threads. The pot really needs a good seal to function right.

And the coffee? Like a fine, smooth, fountain pen ink, maybe even Graf von Faber Castell. Good coffee goes hand in hand with fountain pens and good ink (and maybe a slice of toasted sourdough with butter and raspberry preserves).

I am too a fan of this pot.

I just had my coffee and it is done by a Italian Coffee single /double maker ( ""Bialetti stovetop Moka pot coffee maker" ) with some strong powdered cloves to give extra aroma .

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Ditto:
    • A vintage one in silver-plate and silver knob from the '50s for decaf (other residents are on notice), and

Lately, Sumatra Mandehling has been my beans of choice. I don't know what they're categorized as, but I like them.
    They used to be my favorite.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

I'm an equal opportunity coffee drinker. I will drink it however I can. My daily go to is French press and K cup at school. At home French press and pour over.

Thanks

Has the individual who came up with flavored coffee ever been punished?

Thanks

https://www.bettys.co.uk/yorkshire-tea-biscuit-brew

There is biscuit/cookie flavoured tea, also very strange but not bad at all, without milk or sugar, for that cup of tea at 11.00.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny_S For This Useful Post:

Kaputnik (September 29th, 2021)

Thanks

Now that is an idea I raise my mug o joe to!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    Switched to an Elektra MCAL espresso machine during the pandemic. Espresso is my choice nearly all the time. My backup methods are still turkish & moka pot, usually turkish. In fact, since my grinder is under repair, i’m making turkish this week.
    That's a manual machine it seems...did you ever have an automatic one (where the pressure level is not under your manual control?), and if so is the manual really worth it? If I'm only making lattes and cappuccinos regularly, will I even notice all the extra flavor extracted? I've found the steamed milk somewhat moderates/covers some unwanted flavors/characteristics but not others...a good shot will still shine, but a strange one might be tolerable. Of course, severely under or over-extracted shots seem to still suck.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    That's a manual machine it seems...did you ever have an automatic one (where the pressure level is not under your manual control?), and if so is the manual really worth it? If I'm only making lattes and cappuccinos regularly, will I even notice all the extra flavor extracted? I've found the steamed milk somewhat moderates/covers some unwanted flavors/characteristics but not others...a good shot will still shine, but a strange one might be tolerable. Of course, severely under or over-extracted shots seem to still suck.
    Yes, they MCAL is manual. I wouldn’t have anything else. Once you have your technique down you can be very consistent with a manual machine. A good grinder is a must of course, but that’s the case for any espresso machine. I don’t make many milk drinks, just once in a while for guests.

The MCAL is a little easier to operate in that it’s a spring lever machine. Supposedly the pressure supplied by the spring varies in exactly the way you’d want it to for optimal extraction. I don’t know how true that is but it does make good coffee.

I’ve been using & maintaining manual machines for decades. The simplicity appeals to me, especially on the maintenance front.
    Last edited by guyy; September 30th, 2021 at 09:23 PM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

AzJon (September 29th, 2021), fountainpenkid (September 30th, 2021)

Thanks

Ditto:

Do you put anything in your coffee Fred?

Thanks

I used to have a little espresso maker. I'd make shot after shot and fill my mug as if it was regular coffee, and still wouldn't feel a thing! That was 10 years ago. Now I'm old and drink decaf only. I make starbucks or dunkin decaf in a French press and leave it on my counter and drink from it over the course of a few days... I don't set the bar very high for myself anymore.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrayonAngelss View Post
    ...Do you put anything in your coffee Fred?
    Nada. Just black, please.

IMG_4125.jpeg

(Sheaffer Triumph Vac-Fill desk pen in complimentary color added for relevance.)

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Cookedj (October 1st, 2021), CrayonAngelss (October 1st, 2021), Cyril (October 7th, 2021), guyy (October 7th, 2021), Kaputnik (October 1st, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (October 7th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

After doing a little reading about Vietnamese coffee, I ordered a Vietnamese coffee blend (whole beans, of course). Apparently, traditional Vietnamese coffee uses Robusta beans, which I have heard are more bitter than the Arabica ones we're used to in America. Still, I've never tried them, and am curious. The coffee I ordered is a blend of Arabica and Robusta.

I did not order a phin, which is the distinctive Vietnamese type of pour over maker. If I can't make something to my taste with the Moka pot, then a different type of coffee maker probably isn't going to help. Still, I was interested to learn about it.
    Last edited by Kaputnik; October 1st, 2021 at 06:51 AM.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton