Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Coffee People. Talk to me.

Thanks

Default Re: Coffee People. Talk to me.

Snobbery may be stupid, yes, but a part of it actually involves a level of social action as well.

While the instant stuff and Yuban may be a person's preferred brew, I can order roasted, whole-bean coffee directly from a roaster that I can talk to whose livelihood is dependent on the coffee. They, in turn, know and can talk directly to the farmer they are getting beans from. The roaster can also often provide (if requested) what they are paying the farmer for their beans. That "snobbery" is also creating jobs (or saving farms) in those regions.

So, yeah, I spend more on coffee than my father or grandfather would ever consider reasonable, but if its spending a few dollars more for my indulgence and someone getting paid a better price for their labor, I'm all for it.

That the roasters take more care to make their coffee is just a secondary benefit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Snobbery may be stupid, yes, but a part of it actually involves a level of social action as well.

While the instant stuff and Yuban may be a person's preferred brew, I can order roasted, whole-bean coffee directly from a roaster that I can talk to whose livelihood is dependent on the coffee. They, in turn, know and can talk directly to the farmer they are getting beans from. The roaster can also often provide (if requested) what they are paying the farmer for their beans. That "snobbery" is also creating jobs (or saving farms) in those regions.

So, yeah, I spend more on coffee than my father or grandfather would ever consider reasonable, but if its spending a few dollars more for my indulgence and someone getting paid a better price for their labor, I'm all for it.

That the roasters take more care to make their coffee is just a secondary benefit.
    I was trying to have fun with the "snob" term, even mentioning that I was joking at myself.

But I appreciate your taking the time to demonstrate how much your virtue exceeds mine. I will remember in the future so as not to misunderstand.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix View Post

I was trying to have fun with the "snob" term, even mentioning that I was joking at myself.

But I appreciate your taking the time to demonstrate how much your virtue exceeds mine. I will remember in the future so as not to misunderstand.
    Wasn't directed at you, but I'm glad to see you are also capable of misinterpreting intent.

Thanks

Wasn't directed at you, but I'm glad to see you are also capable of misinterpreting intent.
    You mentioned Yuban and instant coffee, which came from my post. Here's how your comment sounded to me: "It's cute that you (er, people - since it was not aimed at me) like Yuban and instant coffee. But my coffee choice makes the world a better place." You even ended by saying that the quality of the coffee you buy from these sellers is a secondary benefit.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NumberSix For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (March 6th, 2021)

Thanks

You mentioned Yuban and instant coffee, which came from my post. Here's how your comment sounded to me: "It's cute that you (er, people - since it was not aimed at me) like Yuban and instant coffee. But my coffee choice makes the world a better place." You even ended by saying that the quality of the coffee you buy from these sellers is a secondary benefit.
    My apologies. You seem rather upset about this, so let me assure you that I was not criticizing you, but the coffee industry as a whole. I could have also said Don Francisco's in place of Yuban, but Yuban was what was on the top of my thoughts.

I should also clarify: by "secondary benefit" that is to say that the coffee is cared to as a perk, an added bonus, a byproduct, of a roaster caring more about the supply chain. I would probably not buy a coffee on ethics alone. I apologize for that not being clear.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,418 Posts

AzJon, you're free to buy whatever coffee you want. I, too, vote with my dollars for some matters of conscience, sometimes. I consider it a privilege to have that option.

"Snobbery" is stupid. We see it from time to time also on threads about Chinese-made fountain pens, ballpoints, and cursive handwriting.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    ..."Snobbery" is stupid. We see it from time to time also on threads about Chinese-made fountain pens, ballpoints, and cursive handwriting.
    Uh oh.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    ..."Snobbery" is stupid. We see it from time to time also on threads about Chinese-made fountain pens, ballpoints, and cursive handwriting.
    Uh oh.
    Ha!

I'm just saying. Keepin' it real, here!

And I am currently quaffing my brew from freshly roasted beans from Papua New Guinea. So, there's that, too....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 554 Posts

Here's something fun.
    My buddy who lives in the Nashville area came to visit a few weeks back and brought me a bourbon barrel.
    I've got 15 kilos of a nice El Salvador aging in there, we'll pull it out next month and see what happens...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

CrayonAngelss (March 6th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Before you roast it? Won't roasting burn off the added flavor? And does this warrant a 6-hour drive for a cup? Or mail order beans!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,698 Posts

The Moka coffee pot is in trouble! "Get one while you can."

We have one! Well, more than one....we've had some variation of these for ages.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Manoeuver, how do you then get the beans out?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 554 Posts

Before you roast it? Won't roasting burn off the added flavor? And does this warrant a 6-hour drive for a cup? Or mail order beans!
    I know, right? We'll be doing a couple tasting events where we'll A/B test the aged vs non-aged beans. A/B sacks o' beans will also be available for shipping when the time comes.

Manoeuver, how do you then get the beans out?
    to be determined. I think the initial plan will be to remove the bung, lift the barrel, turn it bung-side down and shake. Wish me luck, that sucker is HEAVY.

Thanks

Your chiropractor does not condone that plan!

Thanks

My apologies. You seem rather upset about this, so let me assure you that I was not criticizing you, but the coffee industry as a whole. I could have also said Don Francisco's in place of Yuban, but Yuban was what was on the top of my thoughts.

I should also clarify: by "secondary benefit" that is to say that the coffee is cared to as a perk, an added bonus, a byproduct, of a roaster caring more about the supply chain. I would probably not buy a coffee on ethics alone. I apologize for that not being clear.
    Okay, I admit I may have over-reacted. Tone is difficult to read on a forum like this, and my detector seems to have been off-the-mark. My apologies.

Thanks

The Moka coffee pot is in trouble! "Get one while you can."

I’m using my Bialetti because the switch on my ancient la Pavoni espresso machine needs to be replaced yet again.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (September 27th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (September 27th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,564 Times in 694 Posts

I remembered this thread yesterday for reasons I'll get to presently, and thought I'd give it a bump.

My available methods of making coffee at home now include.

1. A French press (more than one, actually)
    2. An Aero Press.
    3. Three or four pour over setups.
    4. A stovetop percolator which I no longer use.
    5. A Moka Pot, which is my preferred method if I have time to stand there and watch it.
    6. Both a cezve and a Beko electric Turkish coffee maker for Turkish coffee. I generally take the easy way and use the Beko.
    7. An infuser for making cold brew in large mason jars.

And I used to own a drip maker. Long ago I would even get instant coffee. There's a Keurig machine at work, which isn't bad if I bring in my own coffee for it.

So I was interested to learn of still another sort of coffee maker yesterday. I went with some friends to a Vietnamese restaurant, and decided to try their iced coffee. They brought a special kind of pour over maker, like the one you can see on this page.
    It was very slowly making hot coffee, but they also brought a tall cup of ice, and had me pour it into that when it was done.

Best iced coffee I've ever had, and now I'll have to look into Vietnamese coffee blends for hot coffee as well. I don't know how important the brewing method is to the result; but it's something to look into.

The restaurant owner seemed a little bit taken aback that I didn't want sweetened condensed milk in it, and the page I cite above also suggest that this is the best way to do it, but it was really good black.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

guyy (September 27th, 2021), manoeuver (October 3rd, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (September 27th, 2021)

Thanks

Is there an image missing?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,564 Times in 694 Posts

Is there an image missing?

I didn't include an image, but the highlighted text is a link to the page with the picture I mentioned.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks

on Tapatalk there is no highlighted text, but don't worry about it....