Thread: Ratnam handmade pens from India

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

Default Ratnam handmade pens from India

I saw that someone had posted on the nib-making thread in the pen-making sub-forum since I'd last visited it, and when I went back to read it, I found someone (asciiaardvark) had posted an amazing video: https://youtu.be/3xkOETcaVSk. I watched it with utter fascination, because I was a silversmith and goldsmith for many years, and had many times done many of the tasks the nib maker was performing. The tools were so simple, and yet perfectly adequate. I felt a deep personal connection with the process, and found myself really, really wanting one of those pens. Now, lusting after pens is something most of us on this forum are familiar with, but after recently acquiring a Pilot Custom 74 that perfectly filled my pen needs, I've not only not wanted another pen, but I've even started thinking about giving away some of my other pens, ones that I don't use very much anymore. So I surprised myself with the violence (as it were) of my reaction to these pens.

Anyway, apparently it's very difficult to buy one of these Ratnam pens unless you're in India and you go to their shop, although a few people in various posts here and there on the Web claim to have, with great patience and perseverance, managed to buy one and have it shipped to them in various corners of the globe (must be rounded corners if it's a globe).

Has anyone on this forum had any success acquiring one of the Ratnam pens with a 14k nib? If so, I would love to hear about how you managed it.
    Last edited by calamus; November 16th, 2018 at 10:35 PM.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

fereous (June 17th, 2019), fountainpagan (November 17th, 2018)