Thread: Internet versus Reality - pen forums versus pen shows

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

Default Internet versus Reality - pen forums versus pen shows

Recently, a couple of users of FPGeeks have notably expressed their desire to remain internet anonymous, fearing contact with other fountain pen enthusiasts following suggestions about attendance at pen shows. It is a sad state of affairs that the internet, and more specifically forums and certain social "platforms," foment such isolation, enabling a state of mind that sees real human contact as threatening.

As an aside, yesterday I read an article about internet technology that draws from 2,400-years-old wisdom, published in the New York Times in the wake of revelations about Facebook's shameful behavior. It’s worth a read if, as I do, you like that sort of thing: How Plato Foresaw Facebook’s Folly

Anyway, pen shows and pen groups continue to be places of face-to-face meeting, of forming friendships, of confirming relationships and lastly, of finding pens, parts and services. Yes, eBay has encroached on much of the buying and selling, but in my opinion, there’s more to this (and most any other) hobby than just the objects of interest. It’s about us, too. The internet side of the fountain pen hobby is a very useful information tool, but it is a poor substitute for the human interaction offered by pen shows. Lastly, pen shows have the effect of dispelling fallout from bad internet behavior. There are some who've misbehaved terribly on internet pen forums, yet at pen shows they've shown contrition; the reality of human interaction seems to convert them to mellow pen enthusiasts, much like the rest of us.

Meanwhile, you won't find me on Facebook. If you like, contact me and we can correspond until we meet at a pen show. Oh, and then there's the Central Penn Pens group that meets informally...once in a blue moon. It's about people...who just happen to like messing about with fountain pens.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

catbert (November 17th, 2018), fountainpagan (November 19th, 2018), fountainpenkid (November 20th, 2018), jmccarty3 (December 9th, 2018), NibsForScript (November 17th, 2018), welch (November 23rd, 2018)