I recently unearthed a field notebook I bought decades ago. It's a binder for 6" by 9" paper in a nylon cover with shoulder strap and some pockets, with zipper closure. It was designed for camping and other outdoor use, so supposedly is waterproof and floats (I never put it to the test). Looking it over, I realized how much I liked the compact, but not excessively compact, size for carrying around and making first drafts. The problem is that it seems to have become impossible to get 6x9 paper. (And the company that produced the notebook seems to have gone out of business long ago.)

Okay, so how about something similar in 5 1/2 by 8 1/2, or half the standard letter size (our US letter size is close to A4, for reference in other countries). That's not so hard to get. And when I started poking around for something in that size similar to my old field notebook, I found Tom Bihn's Field Journal Notebook! A little pricey for my budget, but pretty close to perfect.

And, as I should have expected, discontinued.

Does anyone know of a similar product? I really like a 3-ring binder because I can archive pages, shift around manuscript pages I'm working on, and so on; and I like something I can close securely for carrying around. Price is, alas, a factor; I can't justify spending hundreds of dollars.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.